Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default PCSX2 partners with AVG?

I found this to be some pretty strange news,

Written by bositman,

As you all know, PCSX2 is a free open source project that has been in development since early 2001.
    For all these years the team has tried to give you the best emulator possible, with everyone working on it voluntarily.

Now, after 12 years, development has slowed down considerably. This is due to both, the increased difficulty in ironing out the persistent bugs and also lack of motivation from the few remaining developers to dedicate the time that is needed.

A few months ago a representative of AVG, the maker of a well-known anti-virus solution, contacted us about a partnership offer.
    After carefully considering the proposal, the team decided to accept the partnership with AVG which will generate some much-needed income by bundling the AVG SafeGuard product with PCSX2.

The money generated from this partnership will be divided among the team members to provide incentive and motivation to further improve PCSX2.
    Using it we can invest in special hardware, recruit new coders or pay some bills, freeing up time for the project.

What this means for the end-user:
    - Our full installer for the official windows release (and ONLY that) will now come bundled with the AVG SafeGuard toolbar. When installing users will be free to opt-out and NOT install it.
    - If you decide to accept the AVG toolbar, you will directly help the team keep PCSX2 going.
    - Users will have increased protection against visiting potentially dangerous websites, reducing the chance of getting viruses.
    - The SafeGuard toolbar can be uninstalled like any other windows program. If you require further asssistance in the removal process we will be happy to help.

We care for our users and we have accepted this offer after being ensured the toolbar is harmless and can be easily uninstalled if and when a user decides to.
    Still, if any of you have any problem you can ask for help in our forum and we will do our best to help you.

In the end, we believe this move will be for the benefit of the project and will play a significant role in improving PCSX2.

That said, we are already gearing up for a 1.2.0 release, so we will keep you posted when that happens!
    http://pcsx2.net/252-pcsx2-partners-with-avg.html
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

No big deal, the toolbar is easily removed even if you install it by accident.
    A lot of free software comes with things like this now...but it does seem unusual that a security software company would approach an emu team with such an offer.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    No big deal, the toolbar is easily removed even if you install it by accident.
    A lot of free software comes with things like this now...but it does seem unusual that a security software company would approach an emu team with such an offer.
    ikr? Thats what I meant as strange, I love AVG but thats a really strange decision .
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by messiahgov View Post
    Okay and who's willing to use the outdated installer version? ^^
    Its completely optional and you can choose not to install it, if you read the article ya would of known, its not forced on you unlike Jdownloaders web installer

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by God of Battle View Post
    ikr? Thats what I meant as strange, I love AVG but thats a really strange decision .
    I'm thinking they are predicting for the emulator yo be something like Connetix or even Bleem. But those days are gone!

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Englebert3rd View Post
    I'm thinking they are predicting for the emulator yo be something like Connetix or even Bleem. But those days are gone!
    Im sure they know its just very popular and wanted cheap advertising so they went for it

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Im sure they know its just very popular and wanted cheap advertising so they went for it
    Good point, didn't think of it that way.
    Now all I have to do is getting a better PC, and can play 1080p games at probably 15 fps!

Check my YouTube for gameplay and pickup videos!

Steam|Youtube

Thanks
    EP Points

IMGBurn has several toolbars you have to uncheck when installing I think. It is no big deal unless you forget to uncheck the boxes. Sometimes they are checked by default which I find a bit unethical. Most times just pick Custom install and uncheck the install boxes for toolbars or look for the check boxes at the first few install steps to make sure you don't install unwanted toolbars. If I accidentally installed the AVG toolbar that would not bother me much.
    Twenty Minutes Into The Future

Thanks
    EP Points

Its completely optional and you can choose not to install it, if you read the article ya would of known, its not forced on you unlike Jdownloaders web installer
    I know, I know. And, who would need the installer anyway? It's always outdated compared to SVN.

Thanks
    EP Points

This isn't a big deal. With a lot of free software they make you jump though hoops like this. It just takes an extra .2 secs to uncheck the box to not install the other software. If they're getting more money, that means the emulator will be getting frequent future updates. Because there will be motivation to continue improving it.