Thread: Sega/Mega CD & Sega/Mega CD-32X convert to cso+mp3+cue plus cso to iso Guide

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Sega/Mega CD & Sega/Mega CD-32X convert to cso+mp3+cue plus cso to iso Guide

Emulators cso works for

• PicoDrive a ported Sega/Mega CD emulator on various platforms, use by opening the cue file

Emulators iso works for (the ones listed under cso should also support iso)

• Gens a windows Sega/Mega CD emulator, load the cue
    • Kega Fusion a windows Sega/Mega CD & CD-32X emulator (it is also the only emulator to support CD-32X games), use by opening the cue file
    • NeoGenesis an xbox Sega/Mega CD emulator (cue file not needed, rename iso track with no number (you can also remove the _), also do not forget the xfat file name limitations)

For images with a Binary image (bin/img) and cue file

1. extract the bin_to_cso_mp3.7z file to the folder you have your Sega CD cue images stored in
    2. rename the cue file to what you want the cue file to be named when converted
    3. drag the cue file of the CD image you want converted over the bin_to_cso_mp3.exe file
    4. this will create a new folder with your cso+mp3+cue file stored with-in

For images with a Binary image (bin/img) and wav's and cue file or image files that are not bin or img
    This can be use for just about any type of CD image format
    This can also be used to create a disc image from your retail discs, just open the correct drive instead of the cue file

We need to convert these to a single Binary+cue file first

To create a binary+cue file we are just going to use isobuster from www.isobuster.com/‎ (free function is all that is needed so no need to buy it)

Install isobuster before following the guide

1. open the cue file with isobuster
    2. right click on the item on the left called CD
    3. Move the mouse to Extract CD <image>
    4. left click on RAW (*.bin *.iso)
    5. Rename the file name and hit Save
    6. after the tracks have been extracted you will be asked to save a cue, hit Save
    7. Now follow the top guide For images with a Binary image (bin/img) and cue file

For images that only have a ccd file included, like the Tosecs [img] set

We need to create a single cue file first

To create a cue file we are just going to use isobuster from www.isobuster.com/‎ (free function is all that is needed so no need to buy it)

Install isobuster before following the guide

1. open the cdd file with isobuster
    2. right click on the item on the left called CD
    3. move the mouse to Create Cue sheet file
    4. left click on the Image contains M1 and/or M2 and/or Audio (2352) option
    5. save the CD.cue file to the same folder as the ccd file
    6. open the CD.cue file with notepad to edit the line FILE "CD.iso" BINARY
    7. change that line to the name of img file e.g. if img is named img.img then change the line to FILE "img.img" BINARY
    8. save and exit notepad
    9. Now follow the top guide For images with a Binary image (bin/img) and cue file

For those using emulators that do not support cso file format

First follow the above guides to get your cso+mp3's+cue file.

1. extract ciso_xp_v1.7z to any folder
    2. run ciso_xp_v1
    3. change mode from ISO>CSO to CSO>ISO
    4. drag and drop the cso file onto the CISO-XP window
    5. now open the cue file in notepad
    6. edit .cso to .iso in notepad
    7. save and exit notepad

Notes

• bin_to_cso_mp3 originally comes with PicoDrive variants but does not normally come with lame or cso that are required, my pack here has those needed files included, all parts of that pack are free for home use.
    • isobuster is also free for home use just make sure to hit free function only when you install it.
    • picodrive has been ported to Pandora, GP2X, PSP, Gizmondo, UIQ2, UIQ3, Win32 officially and unofficially on PS2 and NDS, possibly more.
    • please let me know what other emulators cso+mp3+cue format works with or any that only work with iso+mp3+cue, just add a reply I will add those to the top lists.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 18th-February-2014 at 23:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Over the years I have done this process in so many ways. I still haven't tested every sega cd game on PSP Picodrive. Most work fine except those FMV games like Sewer Shark. Popful Mail and Heart of the Alien are two "must have now" games for anyone. Nice guide and the cso info is always good to spread. Cso always amazed me since the PSP versions of Need For Speed would compress from 800Mb ISO into an 80Mb cso. I always converted to cso to save even more space. Those Sega CD images are rather large indeed.
    Last edited by b2p1mp; 18th-February-2014 at 14:53.
    Twenty Minutes Into The Future