Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The only (main)series that gets better and better is...

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default The only (main)series that gets better and better is...

CONTRA!

No, seriously, I've given this alot of thought. It's the only one. Let me tell you here, see:

1. Contra, NES (1988)

The original masterpiece. It's just you and your friend red guy against a horde of nefarious enemies that's hellbent on taking over the world by charging straight into you and exploding. It's got everything! Platforming, a cop-op mode, weird over-headish levels and a brilliant screen bug which makes the game way harder on co-op than on single player mode (it's like the feature in Rush'n'Attack which forces you to climb on any ladder that you wish to jump past)! But somehow Konami managed to make a sequel that was just a little bit better...

2. Super C, NES (1990)

Hello, so what's this then? A similar game but with better bossbattles, better weaponry, better overhead levels and without the aforementioned co-op screen bug (the only downside). It's pretty much just what a sequel should be like. Surely there's no way to improve on this though... right?

WRONG!

3. Contra III - The Alien Wars, SNES (1992)

When I first played Contra III I was like OH MAMA. Stuff exploding, crazy dog NPCs attacking you on normal and hard mode, the laser not being there just to annoy you, jumping between rockets, exploiting tons of bugs when fighting the last boss etc etc. If there's a better game out there for the SNES I have yet to play it, let me tell you. It's also packed with clever one-liners like the infamous one in the intro and, uh... there were lots of more in the Contra III promotional comic which totally counts.

At this point improving the series seemed hopeless. Konami released a bunch of spin-off titles, some great and some pretty bad ones. Little did we know that is was all just a ruse (presumably) so we wouldn't expect the greatness of...

4. Contra 4, NDS (2007)

Fine, so instead of releasing this two years after Contra III, keeping in line with the schedule, it took Konami 15 years to produce this masterpiece (they worked on it non-stop... I presume). But, maaaan, was it worth it. They bypassed the sillyness of the DS by introducing a grappling hook, and more gigantic bosses and they finally got the difficulty setting spot on (they made it harder than the previous games, yesh). Also, Konami introduced these challenges that are mega awesome. You, like, have play a stage or a part of a stage in pacifist mode, or beat a certain time, or not kill hostages, or kill all dogs, or beat a level with a SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME WEAPON and things like that. And when you beat the game on hard the game dubs you the king of 2D gaming EH HE HE.

So, yeah, convinced yet? I don't think anyone would argue that the Final Fantasies have gotten better and better. GTA IV was sort of a disappointment. Suikoden's out of the picture, despite easily being the series with the best and most thought-out universe/timeline etc, because of Suikoden IV (besides, SIII's gameplay is so inferior to that of SII that it's difficult to make a case there despite the brilliant storyline and non-broken English). Zelda II isn't bad but it certainly ain't no Zelda I. Clayfighter II is crap. Megaman peaked at the third game. Mario might make the cut if you only count the four NES games, but that's stretching it a bit much for several reasons. Days of ruin's a brilliant game, but still sort of the black sheep in the Advance Wars family. Fire Emblem VII rocks the sock off Fire Emblem VIII. Front Mission III was much better than the fourth instalment (SERIOUSLY? YOU'RE FORCING ME TO HIDE IN A CORNER FOR SIX TURNS HEALING MYSELF!?). The Streetfighter series can't compete with the second game. Donkey Kong Country 64 ruined the franchise. Simon's Quest just ain't a proper Castlevania game. Ninja Gaiden... hm, the original trilogy actually makes the test but I consider the new games part of the main series, so hmph! Games like Dynasty Warriors and FIFA get disqualified because older instalments have been much greater improvements than the newer ones, despite the most recent ones sorta being the best (sorta), if that makes any sense (it does, if I fix my grammar and stuff, but I won't, so hmph!). So there, those are all the games I know.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Man do you ever love Contra

I think Resident Evil just kept getting better but I've only played up to and including 5. Main series of course cuz fuck light gun games

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post

I think Resident Evil just kept getting better but I've only played up to and including 5. Main series of course cuz fuck light gun games
    6 is awful.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    5 is awful.
    The one after that is a little better

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

MM Zero is awesome (course I started with MM zero 2) but still 3 was amazing and 4 added unique gimmicks to it

Thanks
    EP Points

IMO 4 was better than 5. 5 practically had around zero management, but I really enjoyed the co-op part of it and understand that management gameplay won't work in co-op.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

What is imo

Thanks
    EP Points

im going to go with pokemon ln this argument. love it or hate it, it has gotten better. and if you want to complain they are running out of ideas, grimer and the pokeball pokemon would like to see you lol

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG236 View Post
    What is imo
    In My Opinion

Quote Originally Posted by garrendesares View Post
    im going to go with pokemon ln this argument. love it or hate it, it has gotten better. and if you want to complain they are running out of ideas, grimer and the pokeball pokemon would like to see you lol
    Voltorb and Electrode

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

This makes some sense, if you only consider mainline games from the series. Which is somewhat hard considering they aren't numbered or anything. So crap like Pokemon Ranger throws it off.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgirlhunterZ492 View Post
    MM Zero is awesome (course I started with MM zero 2) but still 3 was amazing and 4 added unique gimmicks to it
    rofl.
    Now the Mario Kart series is a example, although cheap/spinoff, a game series that gets better and better.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTime View Post
    rofl.
    Now the Mario Kart series is a example, although cheap/spinoff, a game series that gets better and better.
    This is true, I don't think I ever recall being disappointed with a Mario Kart game.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgirlhunterZ492 View Post
    I actually thought the third and fourth game felt very repetitive and sorta meh (and those game scored lower with them critics IIRC), but I really do have to play through them again at some point.

Could actually work, yeah, considering what Ragnar said but part of the series has a bit of the aforementioned Dynasty Warriors-problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheras View Post
    This is true, I don't think I ever recall being disappointed with a Mario Kart game.
    Eh, I think Mario Kart 64's a lot better than them handhelds and possibly Double Dash and the Wii version aswell. Not that they aren't all good games, but that's another matter.

WHO DOESN'T!????!?

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ys, especially if you take remakes into account.

The only series that does remakes right... except that one DS remake of I and II. That was just sorta meh.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Aeolus Aeneas For This Useful Post:

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I think the Entire Megaman franchise got better with each new release.......... MMX 6 and 7 were kinda............disappointing though......

Oh the King of Fighters series as well, Ash saga sucked ass though
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.