Thread: SSF - checking disc format (Resolved)

Thanks

Default SSF - checking disc format (Resolved)

First, I want to say I've followed the SSF Guide & Trouble shooter and searched these forums for this topic -- Many people seem to have had this problem, but the fix is not yet clear on these forums.

Like others, I crash to Saturn BIOs following Panzer Dragoon Saga FMV. I do not get "Game Disc Unsuitable For This System", I am not having a region error.

The game boots, and the FMV before title screen runs.. My problem occurs when I press start during FMV, or when the FMV runs to completion. The game will not load title screen - instead I get booted to the Saturn Bios and get "checking disc format" error.

I have run CD-Mage. My Disk files do not have errors. I mount the .bin using DTlite.

I have used both SSF V.12 Beta R3 and SSF V.11 Alpha R5.

Ive tried modifying my .cue using both FILE "Panzer Dragoon Saga Disk 1.bin" BINARY and FILE "Panzer Dragoon Saga Disk 1.iso" BINARY

Please let me know what I may have overlooked.

Please update the SSF Guide & Trouble shooter with a detailed fix for this problem if this issue has been solved. Thanks.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I don't know what causes the issue but I know I don't have that issue as well

Asides from regional setting I use defaults in SSF.

D-Tools I have the SPTD drivers installed as well, without may cause issues though.

The D-Tools drive is a SCSI drive not a DT drive.

If you like though I can upload one of the disc images I use for this game so you can see if it is the disc image at fault, before that though check and make sure the SPTD drivers of D-Tools Lite is installed and that the virtual drive is a SCSI drive not a DT drive that can also be an issue.

In general though I use my actual Saturn though using a swap trick.

P.S.
    Ive tried modifying my .cue using both FILE "Panzer Dragoon Saga Disk 1.bin" BINARY and FILE "Panzer Dragoon Saga Disk 1.iso" BINARY
    Made me giggle, the reason being the main Binary can be named anything as long as BINARY is after the last " then whatever software reading it will read it as a bin file, so FILE "Panzer Dragoon Saga Disk 1.xxx" BINARY would work just the same as FILE "Panzer Dragoon Saga Disk 1.bin" BINARY as long as you also rename the actual binary file, you are not the only one to not know this it's not something commonly known
    Last edited by Zorlon; 28th-January-2014 at 13:12.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

No luck.. I installed the SPTD drivers (x64) and ensured I was running from SCSI drive. I also deleted my SSF folder and unpacked anew to ensure default settings.

unpacked disk 1 anew to the fresh SSF folder.

On first boot, game loaded directly to the panzer dragoon FMV movie (it skipped the opening Sega Saturn logo). When I press a button during panzer dragoon FMV, I got disc tray open error.

I then unpacked the bios to SSF folder and loaded bios in SSF, reloaded to save, and then I got the Saturn BIOs(language, clock) setup screen.. the Saturn logo appears on boot, followed by the panzer dragoon FMV.. pressing anything crashes to Saturn BIOs and "checking disk error" I started the thread with.

I did notice changing to SCSI drive changes the SSF CD drive to "NABUD 7O1VCTYF8PE" is that correct?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Defector View Post
    No luck.. I installed the SPTD drivers (x64) and ensured I was running from SCSI drive. I also deleted my SSF folder and unpacked anew to ensure default settings.

unpacked disk 1 anew to the fresh SSF folder.

On first boot, game loaded directly to the panzer dragoon FMV movie (it skipped the opening Sega Saturn logo). When I press a button during panzer dragoon FMV, I got disc tray open error.

I then unpacked the bios to SSF folder and loaded bios in SSF, reloaded to save, and then I got the Saturn BIOs(language, clock) setup screen.. the Saturn logo appears on boot, followed by the panzer dragoon FMV.. pressing anything crashes to Saturn BIOs and "checking disk error" I started the thread with.

I did notice changing to SCSI drive changes the SSF CD drive to "NABUD 7O1VCTYF8PE" is that correct?
    My drive does show differently but that may be random

but the game does work past the FMV

the 7z file attached is my settings for the game, the only thing that you may want to change is the controller config

I will upload disc 1 of my copy soon for you to see if that makes a difference, I find it very odd that it does just work for me and that I can'r reproduce that problem

EDIT: upload of CD1 for testing (recommend using Jdownloader to grab that)

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. spoiler just contains images used in this post
    Spoiler warning:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	1083 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	39760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	1093 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	39758
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zorlon; 29th-January-2014 at 12:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Your disk was the fix. The disc I was using only had one track. I had no idea it was incomplete.

Thanks for your help. Its truly remarkable how much insight you provide on this forums, and for so many years.

Im downloading disks 2-4 from emuparadise now..

Hrm.. the emuparadise discs don't look like yours.. where did you get your disk 1 from?
    Last edited by Defector; 30th-January-2014 at 07:29.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I will upload the rest

No idea where I downloaded them from I have had those for ageS

edit: http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?89921
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-January-2014 at 12:44.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]