Thread: Anyone have any suggestions on a free image host?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,308 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Default Anyone have any suggestions on a free image host?

I've simply been using Imageshack forever. They've gone to shit adding features I don't give a single fuck for, forced users onto accounts, and it looks like I'm on a "free trial" that'll run out in 3 weeks now. God knows what happens when that runs out, I suspect every image I have up will be blocked behind a paywall...

All I want is a plain old host that'll take a picture, give me a thumbnail, and let me post that thumbnail publicly. Imageshack hasn't even done that in a few years, I've been manually editing urls to get that effect...
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ever tried using this sweet uploader?

http://z-o-o-m.eu/down.htm

it will give you All the links that you would get from uploading through the actual website, it works for File hosting and Image hosting,
    you can freely upload or use your account and upload, very nifty program, I used it for years.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

That looks promising, I'll give it a shot. Even if I happen to hate it, it looks like it has a robust list of image hosts I could manually test out.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have been angry with ImageShack as well. The first day they switched to the new layout, I sent a very angry comment and a week later, I was given the countdown too.
    On top of that, images still tend to randomly rotate on me!

Thanks

You don't like Imgur?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That reminds me, Hows it goin with the uploader Raggy?
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by IzSid View Post
    You don't like Imgur?
    Well, I've never had a reason to try anything else before. Hence the suggestion thread

Quote Originally Posted by God of Battle View Post
    That reminds me, Hows it goin with the uploader Raggy?
    It's installer is sitting on my desktop. Other than that, uhh, I think I'm going to eat something now

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    It's installer is sitting on my desktop. Other than that, uhh, I think I'm going to eat something now
    good news, it doesn't install, it runs as is and is simple as pie to use

Thanks
    EP Points

Really, neat I love portable programs *tries*

Awesome. No account, and it outputs an imageshack url in the format I was accustomed to from years ago. Which is seeming impossible to manually do yourself nowadays.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Really, neat I love portable programs *tries*

Awesome. No account, and it outputs an imageshack url in the format I was accustomed to from years ago. Which is seeming impossible to manually do yourself nowadays.
    See? I told you it was awesome

Thanks
    EP Points

Flickr's what I use now. Best image file host I've ever used. Plus there's a Flickr Vita app, which is nice as a PSVita owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainwarrior
    Sometimes just the idea of a game is enough. You don't really have to play it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, I really am no expert in the matter but... I have been using photobucket
    for like... two years? And it still has images I uploaded I did not even remember
    I had. (Well, that is the purpose afterall, right? )
    But "recently" they changed their layout and added some "extras" too.
    But really, I only use the basic features and I am okay with it. You can create some
    folders for organization, you just have to click an image in the "album" and get the link
    to post it. At least that is what I do.

This was one of the first images I posted:

But of course, this is just my experience, I mean, I remember trying ImageShack
    before using photobucket (it is the one that had a frog logo, right?) and I did not
    like the system back then. I don't know, I think it was confusing. I remember trying
    to upload an image and I could not access it, or something like that. Ah, you have
    to create an account for photobucket though. I have one, sometimes they spam
    a mail or two every month, with the "news" of the site, but since I gave them a
    "secondary mail", I do not care much.

Thanks

If you need free permanent storage I would second the photobucket recommendation as well. Used it for years for small webpages that don't need to load ultra fast (mostly EPK pages and such). If you only need to host images temporarily I might suggest a newer program/service called puush (puush.me).

I think you can manually upload images, but it's mainly used for ultra fast desktop captures. Good for screwing around in stream chats and such.

Thanks
    EP Points

I used to use ImageShack for the longest. I guess they have some storage limit that I was unaware of though. At least not that I remember. Yeah I had a lot of images stored there, and mostly PNG files, but not really all that many as far as I'm concerned. Flickr offers a free TB. I'm pretty sure that ImageShack offers much less. No flipping way that I had even half that stored on ImageShack. So eff 'em. I switched to Flickr. I did very much like IS's new layout, but it sounds like I'm in the minority there. It looks like they pretty much copied Flickr very much as far as the UI, which was a nice move on their part. The only thing so far that I don't like is the way that Flickr spits out URLs. It's nonsense that I have to manually delete 90% of the text to get the URL I want. Oh well. You can't get it all in life, especially where the word free is involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by rainwarrior
    Sometimes just the idea of a game is enough. You don't really have to play it.