Thread: Dolphin slow speeds with i5 4670k OC'd to 4.4ghz

Thanks

Default Dolphin slow speeds with i5 4670k OC'd to 4.4ghz

So I recently bought a new MB - msi z87-g45 and an i5 4670k which is one of the best CPUs for dolphin according to the official forums.

I'm trying to play super mario galaxy and cant get a solid 60fps even on 640x528 with no AA.

All my settings are correct I've also got a gtx 660 OC GPU.

Is there something wrong with the iso I've got?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.p...r_Mario_Galaxy is worth looking at
    https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.p...formance_guide is also worth a look

look at not only the setup guides but the revisions that this game is marked as playable on, as some later revisions may have problems that older versions don't have with this game and vice versa

P.S. sorry no one has replied to your post and I am no expert at GC/Wii emulation as I use an actual Wii to play my games, that and my laptop is rather low end, though I can imagine jumping into emulating a system that I can play downloaded games on directly without issues.

might be better if you give more detail next time like what your current settings are rather than just saying "All my settings are correct"

I can honestly say I can't see the iso being the issue though
    Last edited by Zorlon; 24th-January-2014 at 18:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb87 View Post
    So I recently bought a new MB - msi z87-g45 and an i5 4670k which is one of the best CPUs for dolphin according to the official forums.

I'm trying to play super mario galaxy and cant get a solid 60fps even on 640x528 with no AA.

All my settings are correct I've also got a gtx 660 OC GPU.

Is there something wrong with the iso I've got?
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the more demanding games for Dolphin, only second to Last Story, which runs even worse than SMG, and its only 30fps.

I got an I7 3770k @ 4.2ghz and I can't run SMG or Last story and get full FPS with no drops.

Also, graphics settings have no impact at all on the speed of the game. I THINK (might be wrong) the CPU does AA on Dolphin, but as far as resolution and AF goes, that is 100% GPU. With a GTX 660, you should be able to run any game at x4 native and x16AF with no FPS drops on the GPU side. And it won't effect your speed in any way.

Also, Dolphin 3.5 is better for running those 2 games. Because in 4.0.2, the latest stable version, the audio lags even when the FPS drops 1 frame below max, which is really annoying. In Dolphin 3.5, the audio doesn't lag if you drop a few FPS. This makes some games infinitely more playable IMO.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 28th-January-2014 at 04:06.

Thanks

Yeh 4.0 is alot slower because of more accurate emulation apparently. i5 4670k is the optimal cpu for dolphin atm(i7 doesn't make any difference according to the devs) yet it cant play every game at full FPS.

I managed to play though both games with mostly constant 60fps but like you said that even with a few drops in FPS the audio lags.

I cant even enable AA without having huge drops in FPS in SMG so I just leave it off.

what version of 3.5 do you use?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb87 View Post
    Yeh 4.0 is alot slower because of more accurate emulation apparently. i5 4670k is the optimal cpu for dolphin atm(i7 doesn't make any difference according to the devs) yet it cant play every game at full FPS.

I managed to play though both games with mostly constant 60fps but like you said that even with a few drops in FPS the audio lags.

I cant even enable AA without having huge drops in FPS in SMG so I just leave it off.

what version of 3.5 do you use?
    Regular 3.5. Also using DX9 over DX11 makes the game run better FPS for me. I usually see if I can get max FPS on DX11 first, if not, then I'll try DX9.

And yeah, turn AA off. You can increase resolution to x4 native no problem with a GTX 660, and higher resolution removes jagged edges as well. In most games I can't see any jaggies at all @ x3-4 native. I'd keep an eye on GPU usage though with a tool like MSI afterburner, because occasionally I got spikes in GPU usage in dolphin, and if it spikes to near 100%, it might cause you a dip. For last story in large battles, I had to drop it to x2.5 native, or I got GPU spikes in spots with a ton of stuff on the screen.

Also, I tried one of the more recent SVNs for Dolphin, the one I'm using is 4.0-984, and I get better FPS than in 3.5. So try the newest revision you can get. They're gradually improving the speeds on Dolphin, and they're only gonna get better from here on out. The reason the early 4.0 versions ran slower than 3.5 is they dropped improving on DX9, and started focusing on DX11 exclusively. So massive speed improvements for DX11 will be coming in the future.

Something else you can try is get the PAL version of SMG, because it caps at 50fps instead of 60, and 25 instead of 30 on some games. Last story runs a hell of a lot better on the PAL version, because its made to run 25fps. I usually get the PAL versions of games that are known to have FPS issues. 25 FPS isn't that much different than 30, and if you can't run consistent 30 on that said game, but can run consistent 25, then at least the audio won't be dipping on you, and it won't jerk every time there is a dip of 1-2 frames. I value consistent FPS with no dips, over a higher FPS limit with dips.
    Last edited by gamerdude211; 10th-March-2014 at 03:51.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The FPS 50 vs 60 is over rated (25 vs 30)

50Hz does not equal slower, it's just less frames per second and not something you will notice unless there was a bad frame rate conversion or if you forced a display on something that is intended to run at a higher or lower frame rate

There have been some badly done official conversions done in the past, but generally it is not something you can see and go that's running at 50fps or that is running at 60fps I can tell... you should not be able to see any difference

The only reason you would be able to tell is the slight resolution difference for certain consoles so instead of running at 640x480i (60Hz) it runs at 640x576i (50Hz)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR