Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That one Unexpected Gem

Thanks

Default That one Unexpected Gem

You know the one, a game you put in simply because you were bored or had nothing else to play.
    You didn't expect much, and were really just burning time, but then you learned the truth.
    Then you learned that this game is something special.

For me that game is Freelancer. It was given to me as a gift one christmas, I wasn't expecting much from a game I'd never heard of. Then once I started to play the game, I was hooked. Full 3d combat in the largest open word ever made, terrific combat, a well developed faction system and a very active modding community? Sign me up.
    To this day, Freelancer is probably the best space sim ever made, especially in terms of raw gameplay.
    If this game got a proper sequel or was ported to consoles, I could leave the gaming world happy.

What game is your unexpected love?

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dungeon Siege

I never expect much from western made games but that game is awesome, tried it years ago then bought it a few years later, great fun.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by God of Battle View Post
    Dungeon Siege

I never expect much from western made games but that game is awesome, tried it years ago then bought it a few years later, great fun.

Should upload it. It's over the 10 year mark now

I liked it too!

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Should upload it. It's over the 10 year mark now

I liked it too!
    I own Dungeon Siege : Legends of Aranna, its both the original game with the expansion , plus it has way nicer DRM than the original , you can just make a image out of it and play it mounted, I hate having a Disc in my drive to play a game
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    Crystalis (NES)
    Mischief Makers (N64)
    Cyberdogs (DOS)

Thanks
    EP Points

I think for me Silent Hill: Shattered Memories might've been something like that. I honestly wasn't expecting much and the gameplay was kinda shit, to be quite honest, but I was really, really impressed with the plot and the ending.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh thought of one!

X-files for ps2. A little independant budget title similar in a way to Silent Hill. Didn't do very well in the reviews but I enjoyed it

Thanks
    EP Points

Voodoo Vince for the original XBOX was quite the gem. I also loved Beyond Good and Evil, which was bought out of a bargain bin for 5-10 dollars. What a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
    Enslaved was pretty epic, junkyard pig and all.

Edit: Toss in Critical Depth for the PS1.
    Last edited by Mailmann006; 6th-January-2014 at 21:22.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

When I got my old Xbox and asked the clerk at Gamestop about some good RPGs for Xbox, he said Morrowind. I had never heard of it at the time, but holy crap.

Mind=Blown.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have several:

Kingdom Hearts. At first, I was like, 'eh, Disney characters' and all that. After I tried it and passed the rather slow start, I grew to love it.

Devil may Cry. Back then, I was quite picky. Anything that has nothing to do with robots was irrelevant to me. But I finally caved in and tried the first title. It was okay. While I never tried the second one, I tried the third one, and it easily became one of my favorites.

Onimusha. I tried it out of curiosity. At first, I didn't like the d-pad only tank controls. But I get used to it, and now I love the trilogy.

Sengoku Basara. At first, I thought it was just a shoddy knockoff of the Samurai Warriors series. Boy, was I wrong.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mailmann006 View Post
    Voodoo Vince for the original XBOX was quite the gem. I also loved Beyond Good and Evil which was bought out of a bargain bin for 5-10 dollars. What a deal!

Enslaved was pretty epic, junkyard pig and all.

Edit: Toss in Critical Depth for the PS1.
    Good game I have it for PC. Pretty sure you can also get an HD version for ps3 off of psn

Thanks
    EP Points

Boktai Trilogy (GBA).
    Storyline and setting (Wild West and vampires, with some sci-fi elements thrown in) really got to me. This series is one of Kojima's finest works. I like it even more then ZoE or Snatcher. And hey, you can even meet Solid Snake in there!

Zone of Enders: The 2nd Runner (PS2).
    Didn't like first ZoE, because Leo was annoying little wimp and the store was kinda "meh". But the sequel turned out to be pure gold. Played it in one sitting (~9 hours) and proudly collapsed on the sofa from the exhaustion only when the credits started rolling.

Tecmo's Deception: Invitation to Darkness (PS1).
    Deception is a very original series. Every game is solid and good, but I really like only the first one.
    In it, you play as a prince, who was framed for his father's murder by his younger brother and executed. Prince makes a pact with the Devil and becomes the master of the Castle of the Damned. Now he must lure people to the castle, all for his revenge and his master's resurrection...or not, because the game has multiple endings. You can even fool the Devil and seal him up instead.
    Gameplay goes like this: you place traps in the castle and lure invaders into then, either to kill or capture. All in first person mode. You can expand the castle, collect bodies and make monsters from then to aid you, use masks to lure victims in or scare them away, et cetera.
    I had great fun with this game, hunting in castle corridors after some fat merchant or pompous bounty hunter was a blast.
    Last edited by Net Spectre; 7th-January-2014 at 17:12.

Thanks

Boktai was great, except the mp aspects.

Thanks
    EP Points

I always try to use the Sun magic as little as possible.
    In the first one, I use stealth and try to avoid enemies, so when "Trap!" or boss fight is coming, I have full mp bar.
    Because of that in Boktai 2 I got a "Dark Boy" title, and Zazie said to me something like "What's wrong with you? Do you hate the Sun or somethin'?"
    In the second one, I always look forward to the vampire event in the Domains, because after that I can just play as Black Django and do not care about Sun energy.
    And in the third one, I build up Strength parameter and vipe out all enemies(including bosses) with my sword and Dark Trance.
    Indeed, Dark Side is very, very powerful in Boktai.
    Sunlight' nesessity in the puzzles and purifications is somewhat annoying, but I don't care. I like everything else in this series too much.

Thanks
    EP Points

Glover! This game came out of nowhere! My sister goes to some persons house and they just happen to have an N64. She begs to play it the she searched the games they had and found Glover. She didnt know what it was, we didn't know either so she plays it and when she came home she told us all about it.

I luv ya Glovy! And yay im 21 now weeee for being old!
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.