Thread: Using a Controller wth Fusion

Thanks

Default Using a Controller wth Fusion

Hi, quick question - I have original controllers for GameCube, N64 and PS2, plus adapters to use them all on my computer. Would I be able to use any of them to play Sega Genesis, CD and/or Game Gear games through Fusion? What about using one of those controllers with SSF for Saturn games? I don't have the original controllers for the Sega systems anymore, so I wasn't sure if any controller, plugged into the computer, would work with the various Sega emulators or not. I would test it myself but I'm not home until next month and I wanted to buy the appropriate controllers and adapters if needed in the meantime. If Nintendo or Sony controllers will work with Fusion or SSF, even if a bit differently from the original controllers, then I'll just stick with one of those. Thanks!

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes you can, directly

Yes you can, directly

I use a PS2 controller with all emulators on PC, I even use my PS2 controllers with my Xbox and Wii (for GC games and Wii games that support GC controllers) via converters

Even with PC software including some emulators that do not support control pads, you can still use a converter with some simple Joypad to keyboard software that converts joypad presses into keyboard presses

P.S. most PS2 to USB converters can even be used with a PS3

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Wonderful, thank you! I recently ordered adapters for my N64, Gamecube and PS2 controllers but since I no longer have working controllers for other systems, it would be a waste to order brand new ones if I can just plug in one of those I already have and use them with the other emulators. I'll play around with all that once the adapters arrive and see what happens.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

PS2 and GC pads are much the same layout to be honest (one less trigger for the GC and deep lower triggers, select was missing also, one stick is closer to the Xbox layout, the feel of GC vs PS2 is not all that different though), N64 well that is up to you but I could never get the hang of them, so didn't enjoy N64 until PC emulation and GC/Wii emulated ports, most N64 users would argue that though but everyone has there own feel for pads so not something to argue over to be honest

As I have not had converters for the GC or N64 pads I am not sure if the analog triggers will be analog or digital, it would also depend on the converter itself (I lie I have had a N64 converter that was part of a PSX/PS2 pad converter just never had a N64 pad to test with so still don't know that for sure)

Analog sticks should be analog though for all the converters

Analog vs Digital

Analog has various grades e.g. 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (off/on a bit or slow/on a bit more or faster and so on until it's max/on max or fastest)

Digital just has 2 grades e.g. 0 1 (off/on)

Neither the Saturn or the Megadrive/Genesis plus backover used Analog that I remember though and analog sticks would be used as if they are digital in both emulators of those systems
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-December-2013 at 00:31.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR