Thread: how do I use reicast on android [DC emu]

Thanks

Default how do I use reicast on android [DC emu]

Please help I've downloaded reicast got bios in the right place can get to Dreamcast dash but can't get games to work I can only find rar or zip files but apparently need cdi or gdi files after loads of searching no joy in understanding what they are or where to get them.I have got loads of original DC games in my loft but it sounds very complicated to dump the files I can use loads of different emus but this is proving too difficult and I'm desperate to play DC games on my nexus 7 cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Yeah I noticed something about this android emu the other day, but didn't read much into it as I don't have anything to test it on.

Use 7zip to extract the game images from the archives.
    Most will be cdi images, and many have had video downsampled to fit onto cdr.

Zorlon is the man that knows all about DC, I'm sure he will see this thread soon

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can't see Dreamcast being playable it is hardly playable on PC as it is (DL gave enough info to extract the files you are downloading to get the cdi/gdi disc image)

You could just dig out your olde Dreamcast instead and play the games perfect and even download games you don't have, most models need no mod chips or tricks to play cdi Mil-CD's (aka selfboot)

Yes dumping can be complicated and 98% of us will need extra hardware to what we currently have for the Dreamcast

Dreamcast dumps are done various ways

Not recommended is a hot swap method with a PC CD-Rom drive but not only are not all drives usable for this method, you have a high risk of destroying perfectly good CD-Rom drives

the wiki at redump.org has info on that if you are curious

Other methods require

A BBA or LAN adapter instead of the standard 36/56k modems that the Dreamcast came supplied with (these cost apx $100 pre owned) silly I know and not much use now
    or
    A Serial Coders cable [PC requires a serial port] (Not seen this cable for years)
    or
    A Serial port SD adapter [easy to make or you can buy one] If you buy one it plugs into the serial port of the Dreamcast, if you make one it still connects to the serial port but can be done internally (this can also be used to play games through but it is slower than the CD drive so most games have lag during FMV)

All methods do not make the games playable on real hardware though (some emulators can play raw dumps aka GDI) after you need to both make the data fit on to CD-R then create a Mil-CD (aka selfboot)

There are kits to make Mil-CD creation a little easier but not that greatly and not that will work with every game.

P.S. believe it or not but most GD-Rom to CD-Rom converts don't have anything ripped or down-sampled as most games did not use the full 1.2 GB available others that did have had 99 min CD versions and spanned versions (over more than one disc, so save swap points are needed)

If you like you can link me the emulator via PM and I will have a look for you when I get time and test the sucker out on my PC using the andriod emulator http://developer.android.com/tools/help/emulator.html < DL you might want to check that out
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-December-2013 at 01:24.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    If you like you can link me the emulator via PM and I will have a look for you when I get time and test the sucker out on my PC using the andriod emulator http://developer.android.com/tools/help/emulator.html < DL you might want to check that out
    Thanks dude, but the only decent PC I have is my lappy and I only use that for school stuff.
    This pos desktop can't run any emus

Like I said; I didn't read into the reicast thing but I think it was mentioned as being used on Ouya.

Edit:

Apparently available on Google Play market.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    If you want to remove the video or link for whatever reason that's cool.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 23rd-December-2013 at 01:24.

Spoiler warning:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not sure how real that is, every dreamcast game you boot has a boot screen before a game loads that just didn't, might be just an issue with the emulator though, the graphics seemed a little odd as well, I don't remember black lines being on either side like that, infact it should just be black on the sides totally, it was never a full screen game.

Ikaruga is one of the lowest requirement games on dreamcast though so I can see it being playable to a certain extent maybe

Ouya | Nexus 7 (2013) version basic system compare
    1.7 GHz quad core | 1.51 GHz quad-core <- this bit has the real power and will have greatest effect to performance
    Nvidia GeForce ULP @ 520 MHz (12.48 GFLOPS) | 400 MHz quad-core Adreno 320 <- both are decent
    1 GiB DDR3-1600 SDRAM | 2GiB Ram <- will make little difference as it happens

Anyway please let us know how well this runs for you if at all from your playing round of this, sounds like everything is set up you just need to have the games correctly extracted and stored on the device

Ikaruga is a good start from the vid DL posted you know that it should atleast boot up and as I said it is a lower end game so you may even get it at a playable speed, but please don't get your hopes up too much, the Dreamcast has yet to have perfect emulation even on a PC
    Last edited by Zorlon; 23rd-December-2013 at 02:03.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR