Thread: The year-end VG awards of 2013

Thanks
    EP Points

Default The year-end VG awards of 2013

I don't even remember what I played this year but here we go anyway! This is now kinda-sorta an annual tradition so why not.

There are a bunch of questions, and you answer them. It is all very simple, really. As usual, the "rules" are:

#1 - Your answers need not be limited to games released this year. It just has to be a game you played this year, preferably for the first time.

#2 - No flame wars. This isn't a "my favorite game is better than yours" sort of thread.

The best games you've played this year?
    Your overall game of the year?
    Your most beloved franchise(s) this year?
    Your most beloved gaming company/companies this year?
    Your most beloved gaming platform this year?
    Best soundtrack/video game music of the year? Feel free to post Youtube vids of the selected piece if you can find it.
    Biggest surprise of the year?
    Biggest disappointment of the year?
    Most memorable VG character of the year?
    The game you sank the most hours into this year?
    The game(s) you're looking forward to the most next year?

Thanks
    EP Points

That's quite a tough one. I've enjoyed a lot of games this year.
    The ones that pop into my head straight away are: The Walking Dead and Minecraft. Both for completely different reasons. One purely for its story, and the other for its sheer ability to suck up nearly 200 hours of my life. And I have 0 regrets about that too!

The Walking Dead
    I really didn't think I'd get so engrossed in this game's story, and care so much about a certain character.

Rockstar, they really do never fail to deliver fantastic games.

That's probably tied between the PS3 and the Vita. I really stopped being a 360 fan boy very early on into the year, and got a Vita in the Spring and I've loved them both since, mainly thanks to PS+.

Best soundtrack/video game music of the year? Feel free to post Youtube vids of the selected piece if you can find it.

Aliens Colonial Marines - This was released in 2013, right?
    I'm not even a fan of Aliens, I was just expecting a semi enjoyable FPS. What you do get is a broken, boring and ugly mess of a game. One that had so much promise, too. (According to Alien fans anyway. )

That would probably be Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2 or Trevor from GTA V.

That goes to Minecraft easily. I spent nearly 200 hours on this with a friend, who I've grown very close to because of Minecraft.

Infamous Second Son, Drive Club, WatchDogs, Thief 4 are the ones I know are releasing early into next year, and I'm most excited for them right now because they'll give me something to play on my shiny new PS4.
    Last edited by Inferno.; 10th-December-2013 at 16:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

The Last of Us, GTA5, Persona 4 Golden, Ni No Kuni, Tokyo Jungle, Bioshock Infinite

The Last of Us

GTA, Bioshock

Rockstar, Naughty Dog

PS3 - Like Inferno I pretty much gave up on the 360 back in March when I finally got a PS+ membership. I don't even have the system hooked up anymore

Bioshock Infinite - the original score was very good, but the remixes of some classic tunes like the Beach Boys and others really did it for me. GTA5 comes in a close second though - some great tunes in that game as well.

Persona 4 Golden - I'm not a big fan of anime stuff in general, so I've avoided this series completely..... loved P4 though.

Borderlands 2, RE6 (was that even this year? I can't remember... I just know I hated every minute of it), and Aliens CM just for good measure. That game was fuck all pathetic

Easily Trevor from GTA5

Either P4 or Ni No Kuni - I know I clocked over 100 hours in P4 over the course of a few months, and the same can be said about Ni No Kuni.

Infamous Second Son, Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, Destiny, and whatever Naughty Dog comes up with.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The best games you've played this year? Rayman Origins, Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Duck Tales Remastered, Skylanders Giants, Rainbow Moon (I finished it last December, so I'm counting it because I did really love that game), possinly A Link Between Worlds (haven't started it yet, but something tells me it'll be on the list)

Your overall game of the year? At the moment, Duck Tales Remastered

Your most beloved franchise(s) this year? Ratchet & Clank

Your most beloved gaming platform this year? PS3, still. Although now that I have a Vita, it's going to have to vie for my attention

Best soundtrack/video game music of the year? Rayman Origins. I simply love this soundtrack. (The last link is my favourite)

Biggest surprise of the year? Guacamelee! I bought it on a whim 'cause I thought it sounded funny. Proceeded to have an absolute blast (although I could have gone without the meme references and Internet pop culture stuffs)

Biggest disappointment of the year? Tomb Raider. It was... okay. Great looking game, fun to play, but the story was okay at best and the end game left a lot to be desired in terms of exploration. The tomb puzzles were wwwaaaaayyyy too easy, and there weren't enough of them. I like the general atmosphere of the game and the baseline they've set for themselves, and hope that the sequel addresses some of the misses.

Most memorable VG character of the year? Elizabeth, Bioshock Infinite. Although I haven't finished the game yet, she's about the only character I can think of that I actively care for while I'm playing. She has a fully realized personality about her, and the dialogue between her and Booker is entertaining. Diggin' it so far.

The game you sank the most hours into this year? Skylanders Giants. My kid loves it, and quite honestly I do as well. We've beaten the game... eight times now? Something like that.

The game(s) you're looking forward to the most next year? Watch Dogs, Drakengard 3, Rainbow Skies, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, the rest of The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones (Telltale), and possibly a bunch of Vita titles that I'll have to look into now that I have a Vita.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Final Fantasy XIV, The Last of US, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, The Walking Dead, Duck Tales Remastered, METAL GEAR RISING

Final Fantasy XIV

The Legend of Zelda

Even though FFXIV is great I just can't put SE here. Like no way in hell! Nintendo gets the win this year.

Definitely PS3 with 3DS close behind.

Final Fantasy XIV had so many amazing tracks. Especially the city themes are great. Also all the boss themes from Metal Gear Rising are awesome!

How good A Link Between Worlds turned out to be. I thought it looked bad in the very first trailer and felt so-so about reusing the world from ALTTP but it surpassed my expectations.

GTA Online. It's fun but Rockstar fucked up badly. STILL no heists and the monetization is horrible.

Clementine from the Walking Dead and Ellie + Joel from The Last of Us. And also Trevor from GTAV. SCOOOOTER BROTHERS! Edit: Oh holy fuck I forgot about SENATOR STEVEN ARMSTRONG!

Probably GTAV or maybe Peace Walker. Played quite a few hours of PW with Flava. But FFXIV might just become my most played game before this year ends...

Metal Gear Solid V, duh!
    Last edited by crusher; 19th-December-2013 at 12:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

A bunch of visual novels.
    Bioshock Infinite
    Darksiders 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Tales of Graces second playthrough (in co-op + hardest difficulty).
    RE6 + RE: Revelations (yeah I liked them, shut up!)

Bioshock Infinite
    MuvLuv Alternative (inb4 "not a game")

Uh, I dunno. MuvLuv?

Take a guess.

Bioshock Infinite.

Final Fantasy Type-0, hands down. BLEH.

Runners-up: Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Assassin's Creed 3, Tomb Raider (2013), Gone Home, Outlast

This was the year of letdowns, I suppose.

Does a VN character count? If so, Mercurius in Dies irae. Otherwise, I dunno. Marauder Shields?

Tera Online.

Thief 4, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Dark Souls 2, Broken Age, SOMA, Routine, Lords of Shadow 2 not being shit (please please please), Project Eternity, Tides of Numenera (early 2015 actually, but still), Titanfall (sorta), Gabriel Knight remake

I'm excited about EVERYTHING.

Thanks
    EP Points

Gee idk Tales of Xillia and Blazblue
    Blazblue
    probably still Blazblue
    Arc System Works
    PSP and Wii
    Tales of Xillia or Blazblue XD
    That I found myself not playing the game I always wanted too: Dissidia Final Fantasy
    Idk maybe that Metroid Prime was fairly boring
    Either Ragna or Rowen Illbert (that guy is hilarious XD)
    Metroid Prime or No More Heroes
    Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 and Smash Bros 4.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

XCOM
    DC Universe
    Street Fighter 4
    Hitman Absolution
    Bunch of FF games
    Candy Crush
    Sleeping Dogs

If I had to pick a fave it would probably have to be Hitman: Absolution. I just had so much fun with it!

Let's say Final Fantasy because why not

Umm Square? Sure let's go with Square!

I loved my PS3 (yeah it's long gone ) But let's go with something different and say Android. Sure I've mostly been emulating on it but having a blast doing so and learning a lot about it!!! Help threads here I come!!!!

Bleh.

XCOM. Pretty simple looking game at first and didn't think I'd like it but had a great time with it!!!

Also Sleeping Dogs. I hate UFG (I was posted there sometimes when I did the security guard thing) and they're freaking assholes. Saw the game getting made too when it was supposed to be a Streets game and then came the moment it was scrapped and then redone a bit to become a new game. Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Oh well got it for "free" of PS+ and platted the bitch in 4 days

Deus X Human Revolution. Started off liking it but just fizzled out and died for me. It was too much like Hitman and it just got really boring for me for some reason. Oh well one day..

Also all of those Indie titles I got of PSN. I would say "oh how cute" or "this is kinda fun" but lost interest super fast and never ended up playing any for more than a couple minutes. Maybe that's just me and not the games fault though????

Crap dunno. Agent 47? Yeah let's go with baldy!!!

Hitman and Xcom!!!!

FFX HD!!!!!
    Last edited by Zaladane; 18th-December-2013 at 23:33.

Thanks
    EP Points

Plant Vs Zombie 2(?), XCOM : Enemy Unknown, Persona 4 Arena, The Last of Us, Ni No Kuni : Warth of the White Witch, Bioshock Infinite,
    Metro : Last Light, GTA V, Dragon's Crown, and Disgaea D2 (Probably more, but I forgot the rest)

The Last of Us

Bioshock

Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Atlus

PS3

Ni No Kuni : Wrath of the White Witch - Pieces of Broken Heart

XCOM : Enemy Unknown

Alien : Colonial Marines(Wtf is this? same reasons with Inferno ) , Lost Planet 3(Duh! booringg), Watch Dogs(what? next year!? nvm)

Ellie(The Last of Us)

Ni No Kuni : Wrath of the White Witch (Oh yeahhh, getting Platinum in this game is a very tiring, but fun at the same time)

Dragon Age : Inquisition, The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt, Infamous Second Son, MGSV : Ground Zeroes, Thief, Castlevania Lord of Shadow 2,
    Final Fantasy XV(?), Dark Soul 2, Tales of Xillia 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Persona 5(if it released next year) andddd... Watch Dogs
    vc3 released.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Battlefield 4, although it's buggy at times, still great.
    Assassin's Creed IV.
    Rogue Legacy
    Knack
    GTAV
    Super Mario 3D World
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Rogue legacy. Sure it's an indie game, but it's a great game. The controls, the gameplay. It's all around amazing.

Not entirely sure...I'd have to say Assassin's Cree and Killzone.

Cellardoor games, they made Rogue Legacy. Can't wait to see what they do next!

PS4 and PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-O-78QLLWg

Super Mario 3D World.

Battlefield 4's launch.

Edward Kenway.

Terraria. I know it's not a 2013 title, but I spent a lot of time in it.

InFamous: Second Son, WatchDogs, Dark Souls 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 8, The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors, Kirby Triple Deluxe.

Thanks
    EP Points

The best games you've played this year? God Hand, Super Robot Wars Alpha 2, Whatever else I played that didn't suck ass
    Your overall game of the year? GOD. HAND.
    Your most beloved franchise(s) this year? Shin Megami Tensei and Super Robot Wars
    Your most beloved gaming company/companies this year? Atlus and Banpresto
    Your most beloved gaming platform this year? PS2
    Best soundtrack/video game music of the year? Feel free to post Youtube vids of the selected piece if you can find it. Super Robot Wars
    Biggest surprise of the year? Me not going over 200 continues in God Hand
    Biggest disappointment of the year? Me frying one of my hard drives
    Most memorable VG character of the year? Ibis Douglas
    The game you sank the most hours into this year? SRW Alpha 2, with Baldur's Gate EE being second probably.
    The game(s) you're looking forward to the most next year? Icewind Dale EE, Planescape Torment EE, God Hand's sequel if it ever comes into existence,

Thanks
    EP Points

on average i skip around through so many different games these days (some i finish in 1 session, some i play and either delete out of general dislike or just put off as "i might finish it later") that i can't answer all of these questions...that and i hardly even bother with new console games so...yeah anywho, i'll give this a shot.

i see no exact date specified on this one but, uh if mmo's count then i suppose warframe as its a 1st-person (3rd-person in the dojo/clan halls) shooter with ninja gaiden moves added to the mix

i honestly don't know

probably blizzard again when we order my christmas present, diablo 3. oh, diablo, always one of my faves. (oh the chaos that multiplayer can create ^.^)

see previous question

*sigh* when is it not pc?

dunno

...no comment

mmo's, pay-to-win market, 'nuff said

dunno

dunno, never really keep track of this unless its on a save file but given that i tend to leave the console running through the day/night sometimes i would say FFXIII. i know its only around 40 hours long but the game in general just ticks me off and so i force myselfto play it (it bugs me to own a part of that franchise and not beat it...um, exculding some spinoff games )

now this is a easy one. Starbound, Mighty no.9, and...i can probably think of a few more later.

:/ least i tried answering them, i do still game a lot but as i said in 1 of the above answers, i tend to hop from game to game a lot these days and the least likely thing for me to go to (not counting emulators) are console games though i did recently beat true vault hunter mode on borderlands 2 (haven't gone after terramorphus yet) and started on darksiders 2 again. shame i can't do the on-disc DLC (friggin... *sigh*) arena, no xbox live and i prefer getting it free like most things i find and/or want online. probably spent a few k $ over the years on gaming, anime, music, and movies...or i would have if i didn't know how to get it free like roms here.
    Last edited by treos; 31st-December-2013 at 21:12.

Thanks
    EP Points

Top 10, order disputable
    Skyrim
    Last Remnant
    Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Dragon Age II
    Dragon's Dogma
    The Last Story
    The Last of Us
    Lagoon
    Ruruli Ra Rura

Skyrim

Ys, but that goes for every year.

Monolith and Falcom. Every year.

PS3 got the most attention, but the time I spent collecting hundreds of PC-98 games gives it the advantage.

Best soundtrack/video game music of the year?
    Ys Seven

MGR: Revengeance. It looked good, but I never expected it to be my favorite action game, even over God Hand and ZoE 2. Best tameshigiri simulator ever.

Pandora's Tower. It was the one Project Rainfall game I actually bought, and I was glad to have gotten it before the inevitable price increase.
    Couldn't get rid of it soon enough, and hardly had it in me to finish it.

The Arishok

Skyrim or Last Remnant

I'm really eager to play the Ryuuki Denshou Trilogy, if I can ever find the last damn game.
    (screw current gen )
    Last edited by Ikusagami; 2nd-January-2014 at 18:41.

Thanks
    EP Points

The only current system I have is a Wii and my PC is not powerful enough to run current games, so these are the retro ones I never played until this year.

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, House of Dead: Overkill, Last Express, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Paper Mario

Paper Mario (N64)

GOG.com

PC Engine

19XX - Thunders Outer Limits

Last Express - I never really cared for point & click games but this was very good. Loved the story and art direction

Ys Book 1 & 2 - the battle areas were such a pain to navigate

Street Fighter 2 - played it casually in the 90s but this year finally decided to master my favorite characters Balrog & Honda

Castle of Illusion HD
    Cuphead - A fighter/run 'n gun with 1930s inspired art style
    Witcher 3