Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best choice when choosing a ps3?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default What is the best choice when choosing a ps3?

Please, before we start, don't go "best choice is not to buy" on me. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right version, just like I'd point out to someone who wanted to buy a DS first the DSXL, then the classic DS, then the DSlite and finally the DSi... For a couple of reasons, like durability, usability, better screen...

But then again, this is about the ps3. Hardware and firmware-wise, what is the best option, considering the console wasn't modded [like in had its HD exchanged]

Are there cases of overheat problems?
    Since when that YLoD problem started happening? I only heard of a similar problem on the 360...
    Durability comparison between phat and lite?
    Usability [what can it actually run] comparison between various versions? [heard that some run psx and ps2 games]
    Limitations to Blue-ray movies?

AND BEFORE I FORGET... what firmware should I try to avoid?? Like, if it's downgrade-able or not... [yep, of course I want to put CFW in it!]

Please fill me in with info, I'm preparing for my first step into this generation of consoles.

[and just in case someone calls me sony fanboy, I prefer xbox 360 controller over whatever I have available to play at the pc, and I'd totally get a wii if I had the money, just because of games like MHtri and Brawl AND KIRBY - then again, the number of games that interest me is lower than the ps3]

Damn, I hope my plans for this year go well, I'll need to work to the bones to fulfil them
    Last edited by yanazake; 31st-March-2011 at 18:14.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You need to go with an older backwards compatible one. The hard drive size is really up to you. Just go to your local gamestop and ask for a backwards compatible ps3. They should have at least one.

Thanks

^this, if you just want to play ps3 games then go ahead and pick a slim ps3, it also comes with a 250GB HDD but keep in mind that you have to install most ps3 games since they wont run otherwise.
    dont worry about ylod too much its not as frequent as the infamous red ring of death on 360.
    the first model of ps3 was able to play ps2 games and run the linux operating system.
    not sure about the blu ray movies.

Thanks
    EP Points

Small problem - Gamestop doesn't ship worldwide T_T

I'm going to pay with paypal, and probably buy an used console [already did that with my ps2 and DS, why not the ps3? XP ]
    IF they shipped worldwide and accepted paypal, it would be great. I'd fucking pay the damn high import taxes and it would be still cheaper than the prices they sell it for around here.

About the HD size, if I remember right, it was used to try to determine the ps3 version, so that's why I asked.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit Da Frog View Post
    You need to go with an older backwards compatible one. The hard drive size is really up to you. Just go to your local gamestop and ask for a backwards compatible ps3. They should have at least one.
    Agreed. Must be backward compatible. My friend has one and it last longer than his Sony Bravia 52" 1080p, which he got at the same time. I do not know much aboout the PS3 but the ability to play PS2 games is enough to buy. Also free internet can't be beaten. Xbox exclusive games rip you off. 60 for Halo:Reach+15 a month to play the game how it is meant to be, + 10 every 3 months for new maps so game does not get stale.
    Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks
    EP Points

Also free internet can't be beaten.
    What?? You mean online multiplayer, right?

Thanks
    EP Points

I never owned a PS3, and don't know much about the system, but I know that older systems were able to run PS1 and PS2 games and Ubuntu/Linux, but had small HDs. Now the newer versions, don't have any of this (or they still run PS1 games, I don't know) but now they have big HDs. Was there any reason for Sony to make this change? I mean, people like to play older games, and some people just don't have the older system. And that would be nice to use a console as a computer. Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread, but since this is a PS3 discussion, I'll just leave it here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yanazake View Post
    Small problem - Gamestop doesn't ship worldwide T_T

I'm going to pay with paypal, and probably buy an used console [already did that with my ps2 and DS, why not the ps3? XP ]
    IF they shipped worldwide and accepted paypal, it would be great. I'd fucking pay the damn high import taxes and it would be still cheaper than the prices they sell it for around here.

About the HD size, if I remember right, it was used to try to determine the ps3 version, so that's why I asked.
    you could look on ebay for it, just choose a seller who lives in the same country as you, that way you should be able to avoid all the importing stuff.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sockesocke View Post
    you could look on ebay for it, just choose a seller who lives in the same country as you, that way you should be able to avoid all the importing stuff.
    Or even Amazon.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Fischer View Post
    I never owned a PS3, and don't know much about the system, but I know that older systems were able to run PS1 and PS2 games and Ubuntu/Linux, but had small HDs. Now the newer versions, don't have any of this (or they still run PS1 games, I don't know) but now they have big HDs. Was there any reason for Sony to make this change? I mean, people like to play older games, and some people just don't have the older system. And that would be nice to use a console as a computer. Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong thread, but since this is a PS3 discussion, I'll just leave it here.
    Why they did that? Simple. this way, new players would HAVE to download the available ps1 games at the psn store, and would be able to download/buy and install more ps3 games at the HD. Also, they'd still have to buy a ps2 for their games. More money for them :B

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit Da Frog View Post
    Or even Amazon.
    Woo, What about amazon? Are the import taxes low or something? <3

Thanks

i dont think the import taxes are lower on amazon, he was probably talking about looking for a seller who lives in the same country as you on amazon.

Thanks
    EP Points

Probably hard on that part. Never heard of Amazon stuff on Brazil, besides a friend buying artbooks from UK and US.

Btw, I've just seen that the Phat PS3 with 60gb HD is somehow WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than all other phat versions. Motive?

40gb hd = $149 [used]
    80gb hd = $205 [used]

60gb hd = $435 [used] 999 new *stares*

Also, few numbers available... Seriously, this is kind of strange.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Why they did that? Simple. this way, new players would HAVE to download the available ps1 games at the psn store, and would be able to download/buy and install more ps3 games at the HD. Also, they'd still have to buy a ps2 for their games. More money for them :B

Woo, What about amazon? Are the import taxes low or something? <3
    Actually, the former doesn't apply, as you can still run PSX games on the new ones. It's just PS2 compatibility that was removed.

edit: It could be they're so expensive because they have backwards compatibility.
    Last edited by Tanthias; 31st-March-2011 at 18:57.

Thanks

Probably hard on that part. Never heard of Amazon stuff on Brazil, besides a friend buying artbooks from UK and US.

Btw, I've just seen that the Phat PS3 with 60gb HD is somehow WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than all other phat versions. Motive?

40gb hd = $149 [used]
    80gb hd = $205 [used]

60gb hd = $435 [used] 999 new *stares*

Also, few numbers available... Seriously, this is kind of strange.
    probably because it has the ps2 backwards compatibility.

Thanks
    EP Points

... You know, I'll just look for the cheaper one. My ps2 still works just fine. :B
    I still have it for psx and also my psp.

So, it comes down to what should I AVOID in it, and by that I mean current firmware. Buying an used unit would deal with that problem, right?