Page 4 of 267 FirstFirst 1234567891454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Funk Out - ALL* ABOARD THE MOTHERSHIP [*Hockey fans only]

Thanks
    EP Points

(´・ω・`)
    Last edited by Elin; 11th-July-2014 at 00:53.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    *wall of text (that I actually read) snip*

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm not in any way implying that you're directly guilty of some of the things that are done to me and people like me around the world because we're transgender, nor that you hate people like me. I don't think you're some hardcore bigot who fantasises about beating up transgender people, or who goes out of their way to directly make life harder for people like me. But I'd like for you to realise that jokes like this are offensive and cruel, and that by laughing at them and encouraging them, you are contributing, albeit in a very small way, to the suffering of transgender people everywhere. Of course it's ultimately your choice whether or not to approve of humour like this, and I can't force you to think or feel a certain way. But believe me, if you suffered from Gender Identity Disorder too, you'd understand that we suffer quite enough discomfort from our own bodies. We don't need other people making life hard for us on top of that.

Oh, and, uh... I don't want to snap at you here, but the word "shemale" is one of the worst words that you can possibly use to refer to transgender women, hence my using it in inverted commas. "Tranny", "trap" and the like are no better. Please don't use words like that if you have any respect whatsoever for transgender people.
    I don't really know how to express what I want to say, which is a problem with me. I want to say in a way that I don't intend to be offensive, and wouldn't offend someone or even think of them differently if I saw them, I mean I work in the mall for 7-8 hours a day some days so I see a lot of people like that or with mental and physical illnesses. I don't intend to demean(?) anyone based on my chuckle to a 30 second segment in a popular anime, but I guess it's easy to offend people, and things build up over time. If I offended you in even the slightest of ways, I honestly want you to understand it wasn't even thought of as a way to offend you or anyone that you know.

Honestly, I wish I could find a way to express how I feel right now. I really don't feel I'm doing a well enough job, or will even be capable. I respect that people have their own opinions about how they want to live, and they can make those decisions, it's not my right to tell them not to. I also know that some people might not of had a choice in how they look and might suffer from the things you do like being confused with another gender or being recognized as such. I have no way to know what it feels like, and I'm 100% sure it's not as simple as walking into a store and dying your hair or growing it out.

Despite my failing to express myself, I do want to point something out. I used the term "Laughed at this harder than I should have" for a slight chuckled, not a knee slapping gasping for breath laugh. I know it's not something that should be encouraged to be incorporated into every anime ever and to become a public laughing stock. It was just something that caught me off guard and the next thing you know I'm laughing. I know I shouldn't laugh or even chuckle at something like that, but sometimes I drop my guard, which sounds just as horrible as it is.

P.S That last paragraph probably sounds really horrible for me to say, but I honestly can't think of a way to express it socially and properly to get it out...

Anyways, I better stop making an ass out of myself before Elin and anyone else loses any form of respect or likings(?) they have of me here.
    Last edited by Spose'; 9th-December-2013 at 07:26.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

TAKE ME TO YO PLANET, TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER, YOUR LEADER!!!

Thanks
    EP Points

I just want to go on record stating that if I could have my own set of boobies, I would probably never leave the house.

Thanks
    EP Points

stuff
    You're probably going to take offense to this by reading it with the same preconceptions, but I'll try reason anyway:

first, a single part,
    "The author is pointing the finger at transgender women, saying that they're men"
    Actually, I see nothing there resembling generality. YOU are making that generalization by identifying with the character. The author is saying that the effeminate character (singular) has a penis, that is what "it's a guy" means. Gender is determined by. . . well, gender. It's a guy. Fact. Ask a urologist. Okabe is attracted to other (non-genital-relevant) traits culturally associated with femininity.
    Or was the writer of Rain Man making fun of savants by the often comedic portrayal of Raymond?

As for the rest:
    The same can be said of ANY group, and I don't mean social minorities. Whites are often treated as badly in African American dominated towns as blacks are in Podunk Redneckville.
    Atheists are stigmatized in Christian societies, and vice versa.
    Do I even need to google "tourettes" and link a video to demonstrate the misconceptons society has about this particular neurological disorder?
    I can list pay scales and employment ratios by height.
    Everybody is "different" because the only people who fit into a select herd are the weak-willed sheep who conform to a flock because they're so damn worried about what other people think about them, and even then there are genetic differences that set them apart--there is always bigotry and myopic parochial stupidity, but putting emphasis and angst into the opinions of idiots is like punching a kindergardener because he punched you first.
    Being offended by anime, of all things (the bastion of tentacle rape!) is no different.

The lawyer with tourettes does more for his "people" (even lumping somebody into a group is a self-bigotting mindset, just like assuming all transgenders share the same experiences and insecurities) than the one ranting on the street about how he isn't respected.
    Hilary Clinton does more for feminists than the rabid nuts who waste their own time bitching about rape culture.
    Barack Obama does more for Blacks than Chris Rock's racist comedy.
    Tecumseh did more for Indian rights than people bitching and whining about the suicide rates in reservations. (that one was kind of a joke, but I'm evidently descended from the guy, and he's awesome! )
    And Danny Devito will laugh at anybody saying that short people can't be successful.
    There is a marked difference between calling attention to your differences (in order to unknowingly encourage bigotry) and overcoming them (proving you AREN'T different).

If you think getting worked up over such slights and subjecting yourself to these feelings of social alienation are going to change human nature at the core, then, well awareness helps a little, but the core remains the same, and even if whatever minority a person belongs to comes to be regarded as the new "tall white male", there'll still be something to be stigmatized to make you feel opressed and left out.
    But if you're more worried about your OWN mental health, then be proud of who you are and the strength it takes to be that person (much respect, by the way, for having the strength to make an active decision like that), and don't let mouthbreathing bottom feeding morons color your perspective by lumping OTHER peple into prejudiced categories.

The only person whose value of you matters is your own--by worrying on the exchange rate of other people's values, you're just depreciating yourself.

Thanks
    EP Points

'Spose, don't feel bad. You said nothing aimed at causing offense, and if you made any bigoted remarks, I manged to overlook them. It's called scapegoating, and it's a reactionary reversal of prejudice.
    You always struck me as a fairly open-minded and accepting person. You just accidentally associated yourself with something carrying a pre-established negative cathexis, and became the focal point for its outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    I just want to go on record stating that if I could have my own set of boobies, I would probably never leave the house.
    You'd have to leave to let me borrow them.
    Last edited by Ikusagami; 9th-December-2013 at 08:45.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    I thought you already had a set of boobies. They're just attached to another person
    Also; vag.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

G'morning all.

Nice to see a new hangout around the place.

And now, back to work.

*snore*

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Ahh, well that's understandable. For a while I was kinda thinking of picking one of those up myself. But I was worried that I wouldn't use it all that much as well. My money would probably be better spent on a second Steel Battalion controller, for 1on1 battles.

You looking to get a PS4 fairly soon then I assume?
    I got a PS4 on release day.
    I'm just not that into the 3 games I have for it. I fancy that NFS game.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Anyway, I'm done. Bedtime. Feel free to respond if you want, or don't if you'd rather not. I'm just fed up with letting things like this slide when I see them in every corner of the internet.
    Is this where I point out that the character does eventually become a woman and is one of the potential love interests, and the whole arc is more or less built around that guy getting over his issues with her gender and accepting her as a woman?

Think you might be blowing up on S;G just a tiny bit too much here. Or are focusing too much on the anime which I haven't watched.

Granted it's more time travel shenanigans than surgical jibba jabba, but I'm sure if time machines were a thing most would take that option over a knife.

It's like walking out of District 9 five minutes in and declaring it as racist drivel.

Thanks
    EP Points

I didn't even have to backread to figure out that the topic was Steins Gate.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Is this where I point out that the character does eventually become a woman and is one of the potential love interests, and the whole arc is more or less built around that guy getting over his issues with her gender and accepting her as a woman?

Think you might be blowing up on S;G just a tiny bit too much here. Or are focusing too much on the anime which I haven't watched.

Granted it's more time travel shenanigans than surgical jibba jabba, but I'm sure if time machines were a thing most would take that option over a knife.

It's like walking out of District 9 five minutes in and declaring it as racist drivel.
    She hasn't seen the anime or read the VN afaik. I've wanted to read the VN but avoided it because I already knew the story from the show. But maybe seeing Okabe as a VN protagonist and having access to his inner monologues gives you a better idea of what he thinks of Ruka?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I didn't even have to backread to figure out that the topic was Steins Gate.
    Oh Gare-chan, you so awesome.

And that avatar gives me the impression you're packing a vagina. And as someone with the complete inability to think about anything aside from genitalia I'm going to act a certain way around you based on that assumption.

But you're a guy so I'm going to make this all awkward and it'll be played for laughs. ANIME!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Raype View Post
    Oh Gare-chan, you so awesome.

And that avatar gives me the impression you're packing a vagina. And as someone with the complete inability to think about anything aside from genitalia I'm going to act a certain way around you based on that assumption.

But you're a guy so I'm going to make this all awkward and it'll be played for laughs. ANIME!
    It's okay Ray-kun, you can conquer my route any time.