Page 111 of 267 FirstFirst ... 1161101106107108109110111112113114115116121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 4004

Thread: The Funk Out - ALL* ABOARD THE MOTHERSHIP [*Hockey fans only]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    They were especially bad for that back in the NES/SNES days. Exclusivity deals, making sure they were the only ones allowed to physically make the cartridges, minimum order requirements, "family friendly" requirements, only allowed to release 5 games a year, etc, up until the FTC fined them (or something) after they were accused off anti-trust behaviour. They were still pretty strict after that, but not as bad. They haven't kept up with the standards of the industry, though, and are definitely below the curve when compared to Microsoft and Sony nowadays.
    Those exclusivity deals are the main reason I still consider Nintendo an "evil" company to this day.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    They were especially bad for that back in the NES/SNES days. Exclusivity deals, making sure they were the only ones allowed to physically make the cartridges, minimum order requirements, "family friendly" requirements, only allowed to release 5 games a year, etc, up until the FTC fined them (or something) after they were accused off anti-trust behaviour. They were still pretty strict after that, but not as bad. They haven't kept up with the standards of the industry, though, and are definitely below the curve when compared to Microsoft and Sony nowadays.
    This is true, very true.
    I have come to believe that Nintendo will eventually pull it's head from that rear it so loves to stay put in when it comes to third-party developer relations. It's just the question of when.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by gezegond View Post
    Those exclusivity deals are the main reason I still consider Nintendo an "evil" company to this day.
    Says the guy with a SEGA inspired avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTime View Post
    This is true, very true.
    I have come to believe that Nintendo will eventually pull it's head from that rear it so loves to stay put in when it comes to third-party developer relations. It's just the question of when.
    I remember those deals back in the early days. They were pretty fierce, which is what caused companies like Konami to make a secondary "bogus" company in order to release more games. Remember "Ultra"? The company that released Skate or Die, Snake's Revenge and other games? Yeah, that was totally Konami's secondary account

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I wouldn't say they're "evil".
    Just odd, as I already said.

But they aren't the only vg related company to act strange, there are some Japanese shmup developers that are quite odd about restricting availability of their games. Mostly to do with digital releases and OS purchases iirc. Although it's possible that might have changed recently, idk

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post

I remember those deals back in the early days. They were pretty fierce, which is what caused companies like Konami to make a secondary "bogus" company in order to release more games. Remember "Ultra"? The company that released Skate or Die, Snake's Revenge and other games? Yeah, that was totally Konami's secondary account
    Surprisingly though, despite Nintendo's strict controls. Konami was actually one of, if not the only other company, besides Nintendo. To be able to actually manufacture their own NES cartridges.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    I wouldn't say they're "evil".
    Just odd, as I already said.

But they aren't the only vg related company to act strange, there are some Japanese shmup developers that are quite odd about restricting availability of their games. Mostly to do with digital releases and OS purchases iirc. Although it's possible that might have changed recently, idk
    Arcade manufacturers were the worst. Look up Capcom CPS2 "suicide battery". Now that's a security feature that just goes over the top.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Surprisingly though, despite Nintendo's strict controls. Konami was actually one of, if not the only other company, besides Nintendo. To be able to actually manufacture their own NES cartridges.
    Really? I didn't know that. They did put out a LOT of games back then.... same as Capcom. Those two companies were machines when it came to game output. Good games at that

Thanks
    EP Points

I love when companies, game related or no, start becoming good and evil. They're all out to make money. The end.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If Nintendo, on it's next console release, decided to go forth and patch relations with 3rd party devs, it would make bank. However, it would also mean it's core lineup and mascot has to compete with such games on it's own console. Let's face it, Ninty is holding ground because of nostalgia and some very good quality games. But have something like the newest Zelda compete with some upcoming title like I don't know, The Witcher 3, something is getting shoved aside. Not that this would necessarily be the case.

Thanks
    EP Points

The nintendo vs. sega fight never concerned me since in my country you could only get one console each gen. A few of different consoles would get imported, and then based on the initial sales merchants would only import the highest selling one due minimize risks. So it went on like this: NES->Mega Drive->PS1->PS2->360. Basically, you won't find an N64 or an SNES there. (Things changed in Gen7 a bit though, mainly due to 360 being cheaper but Sony fanboys getting PS3s anyway)

I completely missed the NES days, my reason for thinking they were evil were articles I read many years later.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Really? I didn't know that. They did put out a LOT of games back then.... same as Capcom. Those two companies were machines when it came to game output. Good games at that
    Hell yeah, Konami and Capcom hands down made some of the best 3rd party games for the NES.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    I love when companies, game related or no, start becoming good and evil. They're all out to make money. The end.
    I sorta agree. In my book, there are no goods. Only neutrals or evils. Neutrals are there to make money. Evils are there to steal it.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Milady View Post
    I think the good and evil aspect really stems from how they go about making money. When you look at companies like EA and Activision, who shove yearly installments of a franchise down your throat, and who have also attained multiple class action lawsuits due to releasing broken games, then that would probably qualify as evil.

I think Ninty is just strict.... granted I'm pretty sure their method of thinking back in the 80's was they were reviving a crashed market, and wanted to make sure they succeeded and didn't go the same way Atari went. I can applaud them for that, and as dumb as some of their decisions have been over the years, they never throw it in your face that they are just out to make money. You don't see them pulling the CoD card with their franchises and shoving the same shit down your throat year after year (although Mario games have been a bit suspect lately).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

I completely missed the NES days, my reason for thinking they were evil were articles I read many years later.
    A Jewish conspiracy?

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Hell yeah, Konami and Capcom hands down made some of the best 3rd party games for the NES.
    He must not know the joys of Contra, Megaman,or Castlevania.