Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird little network problem

Thanks

Default Weird little network problem

Hey, got an interesting little problem that you might be able to help with.

Okay, so I have a laptop, running Ubuntu. It's kind of old, but it's running 100% (Well, close enough, heats up a lot but that's just because it's old), it's what I'm posting from at the moment: I'm wired into my modem (it's not wireless), and interwebs is working a-okay.

Now, here's the issue:
    My desktop is running Windows 7. It's had trouble with the MB, so I sent it to the shop to get it fixed... It hasn't been connected to the internet for a while now, but when I got it back, everything was up and running (new apartment, connections needed work).... except my desktop isn't connecting to the internet. It's seeing the network, and I can log into the modem and view the stats, but it won't open google. It just waits and waits until it times out.

My ISP can see no obvious issues.
    I have recently installed Bitdefender to replace my old, outdated anti-virus that expired while I was offline. It fails to update, and after the initial scan (which turned up 2 objects iirc, pretty standard) it can find no issues. It also fails to update.
    I try a ping test in Command Prompt (forgive me, I don't recall what the command was now), and it came back clear.

So obviously, something is wrong.... but sure what though. It's either a Windows issue... or viral :\ Perhaps something Bitdefender picked up but the damage was already done.

Anyway, I really have no idea where to go with this, or how to go about fixing it, let alone finding what needs to be fix
    Any help, even just directing me to the right place to ask would be awesome

Computer specs:
    Rampage IV Extreme MB
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit

I'm not working my net through any 3rd party item.

Thanks
    EP Points

Is the desktop connected wirelessly or is it wired? In either case, unplug the modem (and router if you're using one), wait 30 seconds, plug the modem back in (followed by router if applicable). Give it a minute to re-initialize.

If it's connected wirelessly, first confirm that you have entered the WEP/WPA password correctly. In either case, if you're getting a connected network icon in your task area (yellow caution sign means no internet access), try Right-clicking it and clicking "Troubleshoot problems" to see if that corrects the issue.

If that doesn't work, go to your Start Menu and click Network Connections (if you can't find it, type "find network connections" in the search bar near the bottom). In the window that pops up, find the active connection you're trying to fix, right click and click "Disable", then right click and "Enable".

If none of this corrects the issue, you can try logging into your modem and finding a "reset settings" type option, this may help.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 6th-November-2013 at 06:42.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Tried all those I'm afraid, and did them again just for the sake of redudancy.
    Both came out with the same result: no dice :\
    Thanks anyway! Would you happen to know any other boards where I would have better luck finding help by any chance?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Bitdefender has been known to cause problems like this. I guess you can't send/receive emails too?
    Uninstall it, and see if you can use your browser.

Still doesn't work then try some of the cleaners (to remove anything left after uninstall of whatever software you had) on this page:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. And if you still have a problem then try Layered Service Provider-Fix:
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

Can you ping 8.8.8.8? Can you ping google.com? I encountered something similar recently and I just had to clear the DNS cache or something.
    Twenty Minutes Into The Future

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Likeacupcake View Post

Now, here's the issue:
    My desktop is running Windows 7. It's had trouble with the MB, so I sent it to the shop to get it fixed... It hasn't been connected to the internet for a while now, but when I got it back, everything was up and running (new apartment, connections needed work).... except my desktop isn't connecting to the internet. It's seeing the network, and I can log into the modem and view the stats, but it won't open google. It just waits and waits until it times out.

Computer specs:
    Rampage IV Extreme MB
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64 bit

I'm not working my net through any 3rd party item.
    Is that motherboard the same that you had before?
    Did you use Media Access Control filtering on the modem?
    What does your hosts.txt file show?
    This file is found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts open this file in notepad and note any addresses.
    If it shows only 127.0.0.1 localhost and ::1 localhost that file is clean then. If not delete the lines that are malicious and add the above lines back to the file.
    Another user mentioned checking your DNS settings in the command prompt use ipconfig /all and note the DNS server it should point to your modem or if you use google's DNS 8.8.8.8. If not then malicious software may have changed the settings, restore those to your default gateway. Another user mentioned clearing the DNS cache. The command prompt command is ipconfig /flushdns then run ipconfig /registerdns. Since you mentioned you can connect to the network and can see other systems on your LAN I'd also check your web browser's proxy settings. Malware likes to modify those sometimes too.

Good luck,
    HaloSlayer255
    Last edited by HaloSlayer255; 7th-November-2013 at 23:27. Reason: added more information

Thanks

Motherboard is same as before, it's been to the shop and back again, all fixed and working fine (Capacitor issue; boot times were increasing to the point where I was waiting days for startup).
    I'm afraid I don't know what "Media Access Control", so unless I've used it under a difference name or it's a default system then I'd say no, I haven't.
    hosts had a few lines of text explaining what the file was for. I don't think they were malicious, but i deleted it anyway. It was just English text, nothing machine related. Each line was preceeded by a #, but I left that in.
    IPconfig reports my modem is present, and a wireless card (not in use) is present and used, which as far as I can tell it perfect. It also reports that "Tunnel adapter isatap.iiNet" and "Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface" are disconnected. I'm afraid networking isn't really my area of expertise, so I'm not sure what this is :\
    I checked my proxy settings, it was set to "Use system proxy settings", I switched it to "No proxy" just to avoid any complications.

And sorry everyone else, I thought I'd already posted about what you suggested, sorry
    I've posted on the Bitdefender forum, but no one's replied just yet, I also haven't found a previous incident, but I do know BD has had some SERIOUS problems in the past, but all the reviews gave 2013 great reviews, finishing in the top 3 of most I saw. So I'm investigating this, but I don't want to go uninstalling my antivirus until I know for sure, for obvious reasons :\
    LSP found no issues, and cache clearing did nothing.
    Also, I can not ping

Thanks
    EP Points

You should probably remove Bitdefender before trying a cleaner and then using LSP-Fix.

Just install a free version of AVG Free antivirus, and if you want more protection grab Spybot Search & Destroy.
    If AVG installs a toolbar for Firefox or whatever then just remove it in addons. Maybe that isn't a mandatory install I can't remember

Just use the firewall in 7 (it should be ok if you use av + S&D) but if you really want something else use Zonealarm free firewall (but this has a mandatory toolbar install for browsers, so that will need to be removed after install via addons, plus your homepage will need an edit in Firefox settings so note whatever your homepage is atm before installing).

AVG Free antivirus is free, obviously...and Spybot Search & Destroy is freeware.
    Zonealarm free firewall is free

Edit: if you use p2p and want something extra grab PeerBlock (freeware) and add a few extra lists to it.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 8th-November-2013 at 00:40.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I've used both AVG Free, S&D and Zonealarm in the past, and well... you get what you pay for :\ I wouldn't trust them ever to do a test run after my past experiences with them.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've used both AVG Free, S&D and Zonealarm in the past, and well... you get what you pay for :\ I wouldn't trust them ever to do a test run after my past experiences with them.
    I use them on plenty of machines for people with no issues. For years.
    Bitdefender is a waste of time, and obviously it has done something to your PC.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I'm starting to think that, but I've lost a perfectly good PC to a virus while running AVG Free, and I have a good friend that used to work in a computer shop (he's out of town at the moment, of course) and he's given me countless horror stories with people using free security software. It really is NOT worth your time, you've just been one of the lucky ones; like smokers that think cigarettes are safe because they're one of the few that avoid cancer.
    So you see, I want to get rid of BD (wonder if I can get a refund...) but I'd rather have no internet connection than use AVG Free again. THAT is how much I distruct AVG Free

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm starting to think that, but I've lost a perfectly good PC to a virus while running AVG Free, and I have a good friend that used to work in a computer shop (he's out of town at the moment, of course) and he's given me countless horror stories with people using free security software. It really is NOT worth your time, you've just been one of the lucky ones; like smokers that think cigarettes are safe because they're one of the few that avoid cancer.
    So you see, I want to get rid of BD (wonder if I can get a refund...) but I'd rather have no internet connection than use AVG Free again. THAT is how much I distruct AVG Free
    Well obviously paying for Bitdefender was just as bad as using free av software.
    You have to fix your PC somehow, but in this case you actually paid for it to be temporarily useless.

A virus can be dealt with, the computer isn't dead.
    There are always horror stories but mostly they are people that can't fix things themselves and don't bother backing up their data.

HDD failure is more of a worry, especially for your backup drives.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

HDD failure is what I'm talking about Burnt out my harddrive. That happened about a month and a half after I turned to AVG free.

And I'm not trying to defend BD. It can burn in hell, but I'm not turning it over to AVG Free for the time being And it's not useless... just...hindered.

Thanks
    EP Points

AVG didn't kill your HDD, that was just a coincidence.
    HDD's fail, some brands and models more than others.
    Stick to Western Digital drives of the better quality and you should be ok...but backup important data to external drives that are only used for backup (and not constantly being used).

You don't have to use AVG, just use a free av.
    Don't use Comodo firewall.

Spybot S&D is worth using though, in advanced mode.
    Install it before anything else and you should get change prompts for any other installations.
    Last edited by deadlegion; 8th-November-2013 at 02:05.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks

I was using a WD HDD at the time. Always have. It was about 4 months old at the time (iirc, was a while ago now), and had no issues. Two days after I switched to AVG Free, it started to run hot, and my computer in general slowed right down. Not long after it failed completely.

And sure, no AV is 100%.... but some are DEFINITELY worse than others, and the trend says: Avoid free AVs.