Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming fatigue?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Gaming fatigue?

Here's another idea for a silly thread I came up with on a whim. Do you experience gaming fatigue?

Let me actually explain what I mean by that.

So imagine you just beat a game you've been playing for days, or hell, maybe even weeks. You're done, and it feels great. You've already decided what to play next - except you can't get yourself to actually sit down and start it. After playing your previous game for such a long period of time you don't really feel like starting a brand new adventure just yet because... well, who knows. Let's call it gaming fatigue. Maybe it's caused by the knowledge that you have to start from square one with another game right after conquering the previous one? Maybe, or maybe not. YOU DECIDE.

Anyway, uh, discuss?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I guess it sorta happens to me when I want to move from one RPG to another. It also happens when I'm too hyped for a game, so I want the moment to start playing it to be "special".

I usually end up watching some anime when this happens.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Iv experienced gaming fatigue all the time when i was younger (only lasted a couple of hours then)
    even more so now that im way older.

There was a great rush of adrenalin when im at the end of a RPG or the Boss in a Fighting game and after finally completing I had a big cooldown period , Felt good , relaxed a bit then on to the next one
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I wouldn't call it fatigue, at least it's not fatigue in my case. It's more being indecisive

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I wouldn't call it fatigue, at least it's not fatigue in my case. It's more being indecisive
    This. I can't decide what to play. I don't want to find out it doesn't meet my expectations and leaves me feeling disappointed. So I either play something I know I like during these times or start a new anime or tv show.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    This. I can't decide what to play. I don't want to find out it doesn't meet my expectations and leaves me feeling disappointed. So I either play something I know I like during these times or start a new anime or tv show.
    More along this.
    Minus the tv shows.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

That happens to me a lot. I always liken it to Victory Disease. Even when I'm tired of a game, and just want to finish it to get on to something I'm more excited about, I often feel a sort of apathy afterward, whether missing the gameplay after getting too used to it after so long, or simply not wanting to commit to something new.

I can also be really fickle with games though, as my backlog's priorities shuffle all over the place in the time it takes me to finish a single game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Walken Dead View Post
    That happens to me a lot. I always liken it to Victory Disease. Even when I'm tired of a game, and just want to finish it to get on to something I'm more excited about, I often feel a sort of apathy afterward, whether missing the gameplay after getting too used to it after so long, or simply not wanting to commit to something new.
    Yeah, this is a fairly accurate description of what I had in mind. Good to see I wasn't the only one experiencing it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I quite often go through a phase where I don't want to play anything. Then I'll get into it again for a few weeks and then I've lost interest again. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know if it's because I've got so much to play, or if I'm just losing interest in gaming.

Thanks

This is happening to me right now. I just completed the Kalos Pokedex in Pokemon X and dont have it in me to play anything else. Tried going back to Terraria and Animal Crossing but couldn't get past their title screens.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post
    I quite often go through a phase where I don't want to play anything. Then I'll get into it again for a few weeks and then I've lost interest again. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know if it's because I've got so much to play, or if I'm just losing interest in gaming.
    I do this too. I think it's just part of getting older.

Either that or the fact I have the attention span of an amnesiac goldfish.

But yeah, as I was sayi-

Ooh, shiny.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gareko View Post
    Yeah, this is a fairly accurate description of what I had in mind. Good to see I wasn't the only one experiencing it.
    I've actually thought a bit about it before (I spend a lot of time analyzing myself. Giggity Giggity!), and I think it may be tied in part to the resolution of the game in question; if something ends on a very conclusive note, you're left with a feeling of "completion" (satisfaction?) that doesn't allow for simply jumping into something new.
    Or it could just be similar to the psychology of relationships, and we remain emotionally tied to something for a while, calling for a short rebound fling, based superficially on graphics and gameplay, before we can fully invest in something again.

I'd also wager people who experience that are probably the type to stick mostly to a single game at a time; I've known people who play a bunch of stuff off and on at random, and I just can't see them being affected by crossing a single entry off the list.
    Like when a polygamist gets a divorce.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yep thats me all the time especially when i try too hard to beat that same record in Mario Party.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Thanks
    EP Points

It certainly does happen with games that require dedication. My example: I have been playing the first Witcher for about 3 weeks. After finishing it, I made plans to play the second one. I even played it for a while but in the end, I found out that I just couldn't get into it anymore. I started Witcher 2 on May and I have yet to finish it.

That doesn't mean I didn't play any games though. I played all sorts of shooters that were neatly divided into levels. Games that I could play one level/day and feel that I made some progress. Games like Serious Sam, Max Payne and Rogue Trooper. As time goes by and you grow older, you find out you have less time/appetite for long games.

Thanks
    EP Points

I experience gaming fatigue off and on. I'd also agree on it being called indecisive. Sometimes it is hard to decide what to play when you have so many games. I often collect games and am not sure what I want to play unless I really want to play it.