Page 61 of 266 FirstFirst ... 1151565758596061626364656671111161 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ben 10 Affleck-Out: I feel like fame is wasted on me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I have made it a goal of mine to watch a bunch of movies that are on the National Film Registry over the next few months. Trying to decide which one I want to start with.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    My problem with Salvatore is that his characters started to all fall into cliches. Brooding, outcasted protagonist (Drizzt), misunderstood brutish tough guy with occasional anger issues (Wulfgar), obvious allusions to Christianity (Demon Wars series), or just straight up strange time travelling shenanigans (Ynis Aille). His stories started to become far too predictable, and therefore loss their appeal for me.

It probably didn't help that I discovered them when I was ~10 years old. When I started reading more high fantasy/sci-fi, Salvatore just kind of paled in comparison. I find his writing style easy to follow and get immerse in, but the plot usually doesn't keep me interested for longanymore.
    Salvatore actually came to mind because I agree with everything you just said.
    Granted, I've only read 4 or 5 of his books, somewhere in the middle (didn't see much Wulfgar), but the action is what comes to mind, because he managed to keep my interest even when there was nothing of genuine worth going on. Honestly, some of those books were JUST fighting. If it bores me in television/cinema, you'd think it would bore me in literature, but he managed to keep up a good pace.

The only fantasy writers I'm TRULY impressed by are Jordan, Martin and Erikson. --I've actually never read Tolkien. But, admittedly, I don't even read much fiction, let alone modern fiction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Probably a good idea.

Make sure you do Thy Flesh Consumed as well.
    Planning on doing em all. Even after Halloween is over.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wulfgar was one of the main characters in the Icewind Dale Trilogy, Salvatore's first set of novels that introduced Drizzt back in the late-80s/early-90s. He was featured in a few more novels in the Forgotten Realms world of books, although none of them are coming to mind at the moment beyond The Crystal Shard. Salvatore does swordplay and action extremely well, which I think is why his novels are so successful, but after 20ish books of mostly the same characters, it's hard to get excited about reading them anymore.

I'm actually at the point where I need to start moving away from series, and try and sit down with more one-off adventures, or something that takes place over only two or three books or something. I can't get invested in another huge series again. Other than ASOIAF, obviously.

Tolkien is... Tolkien. I understand why LOTR is so important and why so many people enjoy that universe, but I just can't get into them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wulfgar appears in the Icewind Dale Trilogy which came out first. He is also in the Legacy of the Drow series.

Spoiler warning:
    Seriously I'm spoiling it
    Spoiler warning:
    After he "dies" in the first of Legacy of the Drow series, he returns in the last book of the series after being freed from the Lloth. He then abandons the group because of the horror that he carries with him from being Lloth's prisoner for years. He is in Paths of Darkness series, particularly the Spine of the World book is almost exclusively his story. Also in the Hunter Blade's Trilogy and is briefly in the Transitions trilogy

I own almost all his books.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Wulfgar appears in the Icewind Dale Trilogy which came out first. He is also in the Legacy of the Drow series.

Spoiler warning:
    Seriously I'm spoiling it
    Spoiler warning:
    After he "dies" in the first of Legacy of the Drow series, he returns in the last book of the series after being freed from the Lloth. He then abandons the group because of the horror that he carries with him from being Lloth's prisoner for years. He is in Paths of Darkness series, particularly the Spine of the World book is almost exclusively his story. Also in the Hunter Blade's Trilogy and is briefly in the Transitions trilogy

I own almost all his books.
    Spoiler warning:

Was it in Spine of the World that he became an alcoholic? I remember him being a drunken brawler at one point and destroyed the fuck out of a town...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Spoiler warning:

Was it in Spine of the World that he became an alcoholic? I remember him being a drunken brawler at one point and destroyed the fuck out of a town...
    Spoiler warning:
    Yes, he was at that bar working as the "bouncer" pretty much. And he fell into league with that thief who only stuck around him at first because Jarlaxle told him to watch him. And that waitress....Delly Curtie? or something

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Finally getting around to watching Django Unchained, friend had me borrow it from him. It's good so far.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

First book I saw of Salvatore's was The Thousand Orcs in 2002 right when it came out. I was like....9? My older brother bought it, and loved it and noticed that there were a whole bunch of books he needed to read before it and went out and bought all of those, Icewind Dale, Dark Elf Trilogy, Cleric Quintet, War of the Spider Queen etc...and I read them all as he bought them

Then he abandoned the series after The Two Swords and I have bought everything since, Transitions, Neverwinter, Sellswords, and now Sundering I need to get. I basically took all his books and claimed them as my own, and he doesnt care either.

Thanks
    EP Points

I actually read from the book he died to the book he came back, and I think at least one after, where he was all broody 'n stuff.
    So I didn't get any early impressions.

Also, always glad to see somebody who isn't nuts for Tolkien. So many people chide me on not reading LotR yet, but even the diehard fans say the movies were pretty faithful. . . and the movies were linear as fuck.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just beat Remember Me. I really like the dystopian future of Paris. I adored the second half of the game because the evil corporation you're fighting has ties that would break even family apart "hint, hint". Makes me wish this had a sequel already.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ikusagami View Post
    One of the funniest scenes in that movie.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    First book I saw of Salvatore's was The Thousand Orcs in 2002 right when it came out. I was like....9? My older brother bought it, and loved it and noticed that there were a whole bunch of books he needed to read before it and went out and bought all of those, Icewind Dale, Dark Elf Trilogy, Cleric Quintet, War of the Spider Queen etc...and I read them all as he bought them

Then he abandoned the series after The Two Swords and I have bought everything since, Transitions, Neverwinter, Sellswords, and now Sundering I need to get. I basically took all his books and claimed them as my own, and he doesnt care either.
    I was an "advanced reader" when I was younger and my teachers always struggled to find something to keep me occupied. Eventually one of my teachers loaned me a copy of The Crystal Shard when I was in 5th grade (I think) and I was hooked. Read the Icewind Dale Trilogy, Dark Elf Trilogy, then random other Forgotten Realms books, then discovered the Demon Wars Saga when that came out and was hooked on that. Eventually I moved on, but they still hold a special place in my heart. I just don't think I could go back to them and ruin them with an adult perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Just beat Remember Me. I really like the dystopian future of Paris. I adored the second half of the game because the evil corporation you're fighting has ties that would break even family apart "hint, hint". Makes me wish this had a sequel already.
    I preordered that game, but the stupid shipping company that the site used wanted to charge me $15 to pick it up, so I just left it there and let them return it. Still want to play it -- I think it's cheap on PSN right now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ikusagami View Post
    Also, always glad to see somebody who isn't nuts for Tolkien. So many people chide me on not reading LotR yet, but even the diehard fans say the movies were pretty faithful. . . and the movies were linear as fuck.
    I wouldn't say The Lord of the Rings books are linear.
    You have to remember that Tolkien's stuff was written a while back, so it isn't really fair to compare it to any recent fantasy literature.
    The movies aren't the same. Ok, most of the story is there but things are obviously missing and corners have been cut.
    Plus the usual movie stuff to make them "cool".

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I preordered that game, but the stupid shipping company that the site used wanted to charge me $15 to pick it up, so I just left it there and let them return it. Still want to play it -- I think it's cheap on PSN right now.
    Grabbed off of steam with a 50% sale. Was worth it. My 2 cents are in the recently beat games section. Didn't include spoilers.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."