Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Foreign Languages Thread

Thanks
    EP Points

I dont mind learning spanish, but japanese and french are on higher priorities. and a bunch of programming languages...

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Does anybody know where I can read manga online in Japanese? I've tried to google it,but I can't find anything.(maybe I'm not wording it right).

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Iamerror View Post
    Does anybody know where I can read manga online in Japanese? I've tried to google it,but I can't find anything.(maybe I'm not wording it right).
    Ahhhhh I forgot the site....

I know you can find some raws on Nyaa at least. I'll look it up a bit tomorrow after I awaken.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

do you know how to read japenese????
    ok try this:http://pc.k-manga.jp/
    マンガ that means "japanese manga"

Thanks
    EP Points

jcafe hosts raws I believe.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks.I'll try it.

Thanks
    EP Points

The one thing that's been bothering me recently is the usage of いい。

It just has so many different uses.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Like here I believe it's used similar to fine. Something like "It's fine isn't it?"(although That kind of ignores the 別に). However, my nature seems to want to read it like It's good or something. It's just really bothering me.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    The one thing that's been bothering me recently is the usage of いい。

It just has so many different uses.

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Like here I believe it's used similar to fine. Something like "It's fine isn't it?"(although That kind of ignores the 別に). However, my nature seems to want to read it like It's good or something. It's just really bothering me.
    じゃん is the shortened form of じゃない?or じゃないか? so basically "isn't it", often expecting confirmation from the other party. 別に can be part of it as well, you kinda have to get a feel for this, but if you really want to rationalize I'd go with "it's not *particularly* a big deal isn't it?".

Random convo I thought of just to illustrate both the JP usage and how the meaning translates to English:

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    じゃん is the shortened form of じゃない?or じゃないか? so basically "isn't it", often expecting confirmation from the other party. 別に can be part of it as well, you kinda have to get a feel for this, but if you really want to rationalize I'd go with "it's not *particularly* a big deal isn't it?".

Random convo I thought of just to illustrate both the JP usage and how the meaning translates to English:

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.
    That helps a bit, I feel like my major issue is a lot of the time while reading I try to think of the English version, which then trips me up a lot. I guess that might be something a lot of people do.

I was struggling with だろう a bit until I decided to stop trying to rationalize it in English. There are a lot of particles I should stop trying to rationalize and just get used to the Japanese usage of them... It's a hard habit to drop.

Thanks man.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, it also helps to try and get a grasp of the general idea that a sentence is trying to convey instead of wanting to forcefully implant it into exact English equivalents. Notice how I didn't translate that particular line as "it's fine isn't it?" but instead went with "don't be like that", since it was said mainly to dismiss the other speaker's worrywart nature. Although I probably couldn't used "oh c'mon it's fine" or something like that. But you get what I'm trying to say. It helps a lot when you start thinking on a deeper "meaning" level as opposed to the surface "literal" level.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Yeah, it also helps to try and get a grasp of the general idea that a sentence is trying to convey instead of wanting to forcefully implant it into exact English equivalents. Notice how I didn't translate that particular line as "it's fine isn't it?" but instead went with "don't be like that", since it was said mainly to dismiss the other speaker's worrywart nature. Although I probably couldn't used "oh c'mon it's fine" or something like that. But you get what I'm trying to say. It helps a lot when you start thinking on a deeper "meaning" level as opposed to the surface "literal" level.
    Yeah, I've noticed that through my very little time trying to read novels that I went from trying to be extremely literal and consider every sentence's English version to trying to just get the gist of what they are saying. Trying to be too literal messes up a lot of sayings. I find that just reading compared to reading and then trying to force it into a English version helps speed up improvement a bit, but it's also very hard to do.

There were a few more questions I had a few days ago but I've forgotten them now. Maybe I'll stumble across them again, but the way I'm reading this novel requires a lot more effort per page than the download I had of Zero no Tsukaima so they might come back to me slower. Not to mention this book is way more complex it seems.

Although, から bothers me a bit sometimes when I'm trying to consider in what way it was meant.

Thanks
    EP Points

(´・ω・`)
    Last edited by Elin; 11th-July-2014 at 00:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks for that Elin, it's nice to hear the perspective coming fromm your observations in your class.

This is kind of irrelevant in a way but I think one of you might be able to help. I can't really find out what this should be corrected to.

Spoiler warning:

The full sentence: 軽く肩にかかる長さの、さらさらと� �糸のような繊綱で柔らかな黒髪は、� ��にこだわりもなさそうに、素っ気な く後ろで括られてある
    The problem word: 繊綱
    Picture from the book:
    puu.sh seems to be acting up so it's sending it as a image file instead of embedding so: http://puu.sh/7OjI3.png

Never mind after a few attempts at recreating it I found out the correction is 繊細.
    Last edited by Spose'; 29th-March-2014 at 19:50.

Thanks

Been somewhat passively learning French the last couple of weeks. Decided to start the Michel Thomas Method Foundation course (~8hrs) on Monday or Tuesday. I'd started it once before but I'd never even finished the first hour back then. Just finished it a few minutes ago. It starts off easy, but then gets super hard and it shouldn't be used as the sole method since he has a Polish accent. For that reason, I'm going to go through his method first, then go through FSI French Phonology to clean up pronunciation.I really do like the MT Method because, in terms of speaking, it does work, but again, he has an accent so some things will be harder to get right and you'll need to consult the transcript or look it up on your own.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've been trying to read a Doraemon manga in Japanese that I found online.ugh.It's going to take awhile,but on the bright side,I've learned some Japanese.