Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Foreign Languages Thread

Thanks
    EP Points

So, can anyone come up with a proper meaning of this name(or is it just Denpa Teki na Kanojo with no meaning?)
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Something about the women being electric like?

Thanks
    EP Points

(´・ω・`)
    Last edited by Elin; 11th-July-2014 at 01:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    "Denpa" literally means radio waves, but it's also used to refer to... like... ESP, or a general sensitivity to the paranormal. It's a word used frequently by and in reference to characters like Hanajima from Fruits Basket, if you've seen / read that. "-teki" at the end of a noun just means "NOUN-ish" / "NOUN-ly" / "having the properties of NOUN". While it's not a completely literal translation, I'd probably go with something like "ESP Girl" or "Psychic Girl".
    So it's has a slang meaning then. I guess I was bound to run into some slang like that eventually. Thanks for the explanation!

Thanks
    EP Points

(´・ω・`)
    Last edited by Elin; 11th-July-2014 at 01:00.

Thanks
    EP Points

I've started being a bit more serious about lang-8. It's interesting in how many ways you can say the same thing in Japanese. I've had 4 different people say I should of said x in y way.

For the sake of my interest and lack of understanding fully here's the sentence and a correction I'm interested about.

Original
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. One correction
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. I understand that this means my vocabulary is not very strong. I'm not fully sure why it's a negative form of ある though. Wouldn't that mean I don't have a very weak vocabulary?
    After some more thought, I might understand this fully. I believe it has the point of I don't really have any vocabulary, not that my vocabulary is bad.

This one makes a lot more sense to me, but I'm not sure if it's really okay to use a double は particle.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. This makes a lot of sense. But the double は makes me feel like it's not a proper sentence, why is this considered okay?
    Last edited by Spose'; 14th-February-2014 at 21:10.

Thanks
    EP Points

btw I'm fluent in Persian or Farsi. (They're the same language)

I know it's a language with very limited appeal but I can answer any questions anyone has so I thought I should just mention it.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Spose' View Post
    I've started being a bit more serious about lang-8. It's interesting in how many ways you can say the same thing in Japanese. I've had 4 different people say I should of said x in y way.

For the sake of my interest and lack of understanding fully here's the sentence and a correction I'm interested about.

Original
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. One correction
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. I understand that this means my vocabulary is not very strong. I'm not fully sure why it's a negative form of ある though. Wouldn't that mean I don't have a very weak vocabulary?
    After some more thought, I might understand this fully. I believe it has the point of I don't really have any vocabulary, not that my vocabulary is bad.

This one makes a lot more sense to me, but I'm not sure if it's really okay to use a double は particle.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. This makes a lot of sense. But the double は makes me feel like it's not a proper sentence, why is this considered okay?
    I haven't been around for the past month or so, so I didn't even see this.

In case you still need help, you could say (and yes, this shows many ways one can say stuff):

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Yeah and forget that original sentence. When something is bad you could just say xyは悪いです. As for the double は, back in the day I was taught that that's sort of a no-no. Make the second は into a が.

I would also recommend reading this thread: http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp...l/q14100262284 (the explanation they give is that since goiryoku is an ability (力-ryoku), it should be measured via 高い/低い.

Man, my problem is that the more naturally certain things come in Japanese, the easier it is to forget the rules themselves. So I'm just saying stuff based on what "sounds correct" in my ears. I'm the worst teacher.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I haven't been around for the past month or so, so I didn't even see this.

In case you still need help, you could say (and yes, this shows many ways one can say stuff):

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Yeah and forget that original sentence. When something is bad you could just say xyは悪いです. As for the double は, back in the day I was taught that that's sort of a no-no. Make the second は into a が.

I would also recommend reading this thread: http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp...l/q14100262284 (the explanation they give is that since goiryoku is an ability (力-ryoku), it should be measured via 高い/低い.

Man, my problem is that the more naturally certain things come in Japanese, the easier it is to forget the rules themselves. So I'm just saying stuff based on what "sounds correct" in my ears. I'm the worst teacher.
    Thanks, even if it's been a while another input is always great to hear. Even if you can't remember all the rules it still helps out others in the end. Especially when it doesn't come near as natural to someone. I would say I can read/hear a lot better than I can write, which isn't saying all that much since I sucked pretty bad attempting to dive into a novel already.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

i know spanish a little bit who wants to learn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Bogard View Post
    i know spanish a little bit who wants to learn
    I do!

Thanks
    EP Points

I want to learn Klingon. Who can help?

Thanks
    EP Points

Your nearest Trekkie convention, no doubt.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

como te llamas cookie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Bogard View Post
    como te llamas cookie
    Me llamo Cookie, me apellido Monster y me encantan las galletas

Just kiddin', I know all the Spanish I need to know

Thanks