Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Foreign Languages Thread

Thanks
    EP Points

I speak an East-Slavic language but the task of learning this Mongolic language Kalmyk, pronounced Zal'mg (Хальмг) is proving to be incredibly difficult. Despite sharing the cyrillic alphabet, almost every aspect of the languages are different. But, due to recent discovery of my mother's lineage, I want to continue learning. Unfortunately there are very few resources I have found.. I'll probably have to contact some of my Siberian friends for literature.
    "Throw a stone into the water, it will make a ripple. One day that ripple becomes a wave."
    Wiegraf Folles, Final Fantasy Tactics

Thanks
    EP Points

Thought I saw a section at emuparadise for japanese games for PSP/PS1, but I can't find it now.
    Help?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dyyavol View Post
    I speak an East-Slavic language but the task of learning this Mongolic language Kalmyk, pronounced Zal'mg (Хальмг) is proving to be incredibly difficult. Despite sharing the cyrillic alphabet, almost every aspect of the languages are different. But, due to recent discovery of my mother's lineage, I want to continue learning. Unfortunately there are very few resources I have found.. I'll probably have to contact some of my Siberian friends for literature.
    I find it hard to believe that English is not your first language. You speak it much more proficiently than many if not all of my real-life neighbors.

Thanks
    EP Points

Never mind my last post 2 up from here, I see how to find them with with advanced search.

Thanks
    EP Points

A website that helps you learn Japanese and Kanji .
    I was just trying to find some free easy ways to learn Japanese on the web and found this website that has a great way of teaching how to write in Kanji and some other useful stuff.

http://www.yamasa.org/ocjs/kanjijiten/english/

So go ahead and start kanjiing.

If I placed this in the wrong thread , feel free to delete my post.
    Hugs and high fives for everyone , love and peace.
    DysteR

Thanks

Default Need help learning Japanese.

Hi, I'm Corey's girlfriend. He told me to say something about Sprung being old.

I haven't really started learning yet and I haven't found any good sites or downloads that can help me, and I'm also not really sure where to start. Thank you for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Sprung isn't old

Just a reminder for anybody that replies in this thread: no warez talk please, only free stuff. You can always PM the OP if necessary.

Spoiler warning:

Thanks
    EP Points

[2:24:29 AM] Gare: Complete beginner? If so, I would recommend the Genki 1 and 2 books, I started with those. of course it helps if you actually have a teacher and attend classes.
    [2:26:02 AM] Gare: and for a dictionary there's this: http://jisho.org/
    [2:27:37 AM] Gare: buy yeah I think for now those two Genki books are fine, they go over the basics nicely, as far as I recall.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    [2:24:29 AM] Gare: Complete beginner? If so, I would recommend the Genki 1 and 2 books, I started with those. of course it helps if you actually have a teacher and attend classes.
    [2:26:02 AM] Gare: and for a dictionary there's this: http://jisho.org/
    [2:27:37 AM] Gare: buy yeah I think for now those two Genki books are fine, they go over the basics nicely, as far as I recall.
    This, obviously. The Genki books go over all the basic grammar as far as I remember and teach a few hundred kanji at the same time. This is good for a start. At the back of the book you'll find tables of all the kanji mentioned in the book, as well as related vocabulary so you can expand your knowledge further, it helps to go over those nice and slow. The trick to learning kanji is that you'll use the earlier ones you've learned to learn new ones connected to them, so for instance you'll learn that 食べる is "to eat" and later you might learn more complex stuff that uses the same kanji, like 食事 (shokuji - meal) or 食欲 (shokuyoku - appetite) and so on. As you can see they all sort of originate from the 食 kanji, in a way. Oh and for the moment don't worry about learning the different readings of each kanji individually (onyomi and kunyomi, each kanji has a Japanese and Chinese reading), at least at your level. It will sort of come naturally as you learn more and more kanji.

Also to add to that, one useful feature of Jisho is this: http://jisho.org/kanji/radicals/ Basically it allows you to look up kanji based on their radicals, aka the building blocks they're made up of.

It also helps if you expose yourself to as much language as possible, so for instance watching anime and jotting down new vocabulary.

Ah, one more thing. This site: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar It's a very complete and thorough grammar guide, it might be a bit too overwhelming and honestly for now I'd just stick to Genki, but it's good to know about it. In case you ever need some extra help.
    Last edited by Gare; 14th-August-2014 at 07:58.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    This, obviously. The Genki books go over all the basic grammar as far as I remember and teach a few hundred kanji at the same time. This is good for a start. At the back of the book you'll find tables of all the kanji mentioned in the book, as well as related vocabulary so you can expand your knowledge further, it helps to go over those nice and slow. The trick to learning kanji is that you'll use the earlier ones you've learned to learn new ones connected to them, so for instance you'll learn that 食べる is "to eat" and later you might learn more complex stuff that uses the same kanji, like 食事 (shokuji - meal) or 食欲 (shokuyoku - appetite) and so on. As you can see they all sort of originate from the 食 kanji, in a way. Oh and for the moment don't worry about learning the different readings of each kanji individually (onyomi and kunyomi, each kanji has a Japanese and Chinese reading), at least at your level. It will sort of come naturally as you learn more and more kanji.

Also to add to that, one useful feature of Jisho is this: http://jisho.org/kanji/radicals/ Basically it allows you to look up kanji based on their radicals, aka the building blocks they're made up of.

It also helps if you expose yourself to as much language as possible, so for instance watching anime and jotting down new vocabulary.

Ah, one more thing. This site: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar It's a very complete and thorough grammar guide, it might be a bit too overwhelming and honestly for now I'd just stick to Genki, but it's good to know about it. In case you ever need some extra help.
    Thank you so much!!!