Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default XBOX FATX limitations and notes

• 4GB / 4096 Megabyte 4294967296 bytes Max file size
    • 42 characters for file names (there are also a bunch of characters not supported , accepted ones are limited to
      ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx yz0123456789!#$%&'()-.@[]^_`{}~ (that includes spaces)
      (DVD's do not have the same limits and don't use the FATX file system)
    • A maximum of 240 in total folder depth (thats a folder inside a folder inside a folder inside a folder up to 240)
    • A maximum of 240 folders/files in each folder (thats a flat limit)
    • A maximum of 4096 files/folders in a single root folder (this is the grand total of files that can be stored in any single root sub folder)
    • Cluster sizes supported = 4 KB 8GB to 64GB, 8 KB 65GB up to 128GB partitions, 16 KB 129GB to 256GB partitions, 32 KB 257GB up to 512GB partitions, 64 KB 513GB up to 1TB partitions
    • Save data is also under the 240 limit and if this is hit you will not be able to start any new software after as it will just boot to a black screen

WARNING
    Avoid the save limit by backing up and deleting older saves, currently I do not know how to fix that if you do hit the limit (when I did I ended up formatting my drive and starting again)

Please note that for save data if you are using a software mod (soft mod) then some of the save data is used for the exploit so never wipe all the saves or you may force the Xbox back to it's original none modded state, if your xbox is PAL using the Enigma patch to get NTSC then going back to a virgin Xbox with that patch makes it so the xbox can not read PAL original discs anymore, game saves are safe to delete though.

If you are not sure what some of the saves are then you are welcome to use my games list that includes the codes used for the saves, you can look at that here.

Once you hit the 4096 files limit any attempt to copy more files to that folder will result in no files being copied or if the folder is almost at that limit only some files will be copied
    I will keep this thread open for users to add there own notes to this.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-March-2014 at 09:55.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post: