I...Shut up and take my Zenny!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GeminiSparkSP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Gave them $100. Fucking stoked.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah I'm definitely gonna pledge some munnies! Quite a dream team Inafune put together.

In Inafking we trust.

Thanks
    EP Points

If you hadn't made this thread, I would have. Yes. I'm donating at least $60 as soon as I get my next measly excuse for a paycheck, gold-ass Beck is just too sexy to pass up. I'm really glad to see Keiji taking on new projects and relying on us to support him, I'll support him and Comcast in everything they do.

Edit: worth mentioning to prospective backers: you get cool prizes depending on how much you donate, t-shirts, the soundtrack, and hey, if you have 10,000 dollars to blow you get to have a lovely dinner with Keiji Inafune. Jokes aside (well, not really, that actually is a prize and how much it costs) you get cool stuff for much more reasonable amounts. I donated $60, and I'll be getting a digital strategy guide, art book, and sound track, a physical game box and printed manual, a cool gold skin for Beck (the hero of the game), my name in the game's credits and access to backer-only future events on the forum.
    Last edited by Takion Sun; 1st-September-2013 at 20:56.

Mega Man Legends 3 Fan Project!
    We're back, baby. I'd love if someone could help me read this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

This game should feature an alternate title/subtitle:

"I can't believe it's NOT Mega Man!"

That said, looks neat. Hope it comes out well!
    I am Mega Man, I'm blue and cyan - the creation of Dr Light (or Right, if you're from Japan)
    Also known as Rockman

My Mega Buster can cut the mustard, I'm a flustered amputee
    POW POW!
    Eight robot bosses in eight levels dishevel and revel in devilry,
    I'll steal their weaponry!

I am also known as the "Blue Bomber"
    I could shoot the legs off Jeffrey Dahmer
    Kill a robot fish, kill a robot frog,
    and then I ride off on my robot dog...

JOIN THE SHMUP MANIACS! Arcade & home console 2D shmups!

vThanks button, down herev

Thanks
    EP Points

I gave them $40. I can't wait! I went though alot of emotions while watching his video. I felt sad and mad at Capcom, and then happy and hopeful about this project.

Thanks
    EP Points

Pledged $40 myself. Just hours away from hitting the goal!

Thanks
    EP Points

$120. Not my turn to buy groceries anyways.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It gotten $20 from me.
    Well, it's Inafune's dream, so I see a bright future for this project.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Wow, seriously toeing the lines of copyright infringement there, Inafune. :'D But if Capcom are happy to let it slide, then I'm most pleased to see something so Mega Man-esque see the light of day! Backed without hesitation~

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elin View Post
    Wow, seriously toeing the lines of copyright infringement there, Inafune. :'D But if Capcom are happy to let it slide, then I'm most pleased to see something so Mega Man-esque see the light of day! Backed without hesitation~
    Psh.
    Capcom WILL let this slide. Considering all of their failed projects they might resort to something as weak as copyright infringement, but it's originally his idea right? Influenced from Mega Man or not, it's dev team is all great people who worked for Capcom making Mega Man games, that potential lawsuit being the downfall of this project is going to cause major backlash from the Capcom community....what's left of it anyways.
    And then Capcom digs a even deeper grave.

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Psh.
    Capcom WILL let this slide. Considering all of their failed projects they might resort to something as weak as copyright infringement, but it's originally his idea right? Influenced from Mega Man or not, it's dev team is all great people who worked for Capcom making Mega Man games, that potential lawsuit being the downfall of this project is going to cause major backlash from the Capcom community....what's left of it anyways.
    And then Capcom digs a even deeper grave.
    Not on Capcom's side or anything here, and like you say, they'll probably turn a blind eye to it because crushing it would burn any bridges they have left with their fanbase. But I do think they could easily win a lawsuit against Inafune here if they wanted to. Mega Man was certainly his idea, but unfortunately his brainchild isn't his anymore, and creating something that is essentially Mega Man in all but name when he isn't legally entitled to is risky business. There's a precedent for this kind of stuff, as Nintendo won huge damages back in the early 2000s against Tear Ring Saga, a game created in nearly identical circumstances (the creator of a series, in this case Fire Emblem, leaves and creates a game with extreme similarities to his previous work), and Tear Ring Saga was really no more similar to Fire Emblem than this looks to be to Mega Man.

In any case, hoping Capcom decide to be cool about things, as it looks like a lovely throwback to Inafune's earlier work. Still, if Capcom decide to fight this battle, it looks to me to be almost certainly one that they'd win going by how the game looks so far. :/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Elin, I read about the Tear Ring Saga case yesterday and from what I gathered Nintendo didn't initially win but appealed and managed to get some money but not stop sales of the game. Court apparently suggested that any similarities with Fire Emblem is because of the creator's style. Because of this people believe that even if Capcom sued they would not win. Clashes somewhat with your version of the what happened but I could be wrong. Need to do some research! :O

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't think Capcom will mess with this. It would cause alot of backlash. When asked about what they think about the game on their forums, they said it should belong on the off topic forums and/or wish him the best of luck. Even then, it is the mods that do so and not Capcom.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lizard81288 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Elin, I read about the Tear Ring Saga case yesterday and from what I gathered Nintendo didn't initially win but appealed and managed to get some money but not stop sales of the game. Court apparently suggested that any similarities with Fire Emblem is because of the creator's style. Because of this people believe that even if Capcom sued they would not win. Clashes somewhat with your version of the what happened but I could be wrong. Need to do some research! :O
    There was a settlement for about 750K USD (which isn't really that much money for either studio, and probably just covered the court fees for Nintendo's high tier lawyers if it even did that) and the game was not only left on shelves but there was that sequel people tend to forget happened. And that involved Nintendo who are famously overprotective of anything that so much as smells like one of their products. There's been plenty of examples of extreme plagiarism in gaming that never saw a courtroom (Elin should be recalling the Xeno series which is now up to 2 different examples of it, the first being incredibly egregious and involving one of the biggest gaming companies that doesn't have its own console). Largely because the precedence tends to go more towards "self plagiarism isn't plagiarism". Unless you've got damn good lawyers and want to kick up a massive fuss. Which is Nintendo's MO when it comes to their IP.

Hell Bayonetta got away from ripping off game mechanics and boss fights that didn't come into the series until long after Kamiya left Capcom. So this'll be fine.