Thread: Gameboy Programmer Group Printing

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default Gameboy Programmer Group Printing

I plan on doing a small run of two sided PCBs based on Reiner Ziegler's Reader. I have redesigned the board in EagleCAD as a mostly SMT populated board, though some components have either option! I do not plan on supplying full kits, so part ordering will be up to you.

Piracy is bad, yadda-yadda, you may backups save files and ROMs for emulation if you wish.

If you wish to throw some money into the pool and have a board sent your way, email me below or PM me:
    Apple2ja*Cmich*edu (dots instead of asterisks).

Here are some pics, dimensions and a 3D render:

Some notes about the boards, I have decided to add vias if people want to use through-hole components rather than SMT components. This does not include the ICs because these components are too large to fit within my strict board limitations. The photos show no through-hole resistors, but I am adding them shortly.

Lets try not to add both version of said components, k? If you choose to use a ceramic resonator rather than an ordinary crystal oscillator, be sure to ignore the cap locations. If you choose to place an crystal oscillator, be sure to check the data sheet as to the capacitance of caps you will need.

Also note that the ICSP connector must be on the bottom of the board. After programming the Atmega8515, you may remove the ICSP connector since there will probably never be any updates.

I was also able to accommodate the board with the DMG-01 or pocket cartridge connector so it doesn't matter where you get it from!

Reiner Ziegler's site is here:
    http://www.reinerziegler.de/readplus.htm

Becuase Mr. Ziegler released this for public use and not for profit, we will all be getting some cheap boards! If I include shipping, One board shipped First class will run you and I:

Within the US (lower 48):

Board only = $18.90 (shipped)
    Board with Atmega & FTDI pre-soldered = $33.90 (shipped)
    Full kit unsoldered = $39.29 (shipped)
    Full kit presoldered chips only= $45.29 (shipped)
    Complete and ready to go = $ 49.29 (shipped)
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 9th-August-2013 at 20:20.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Orders Placed:

Jazzmarazz: 1 board (Paid)
    (off-site) Bitman: 1 board (unpaid)
    (off-site) AlleyBeach: 1 board (unpaid)
    (off-site) Katsumbhong: 1 board (unpaid)
    (off-site) DSC: 2 boards (unpaid)
    (off-site) Kitsch-Bent: 2 boards (unpaid)

Up to eight! Just two more an I can place an order.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 8th-August-2013 at 14:55.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Major board update. The atmega8515 may now be programmed via USB rather than the ICSP connector. This will help many people who do not have programmers. It is however twice as slow, but only needs to be programmed once, so no big deal.
    New priuces are as follows due to huge requests for pre-shipping work and full kits.

Within the US (lower 48):

Board only = $18.90 (shipped)
    Board with Atmega & FTDI pre-soldered = $33.90 (shipped)
    Full kit unsoldered = $39.29 (shipped)
    Full kit presoldered chips only= $45.29 (shipped)
    Complete and ready to go = $ 49.29 (shipped)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Ok, I do have one pointless question (seeing as I know I'm not buying this). I hate having random PCBs just laying around exposed. To assemble this you need to pilfer a cartridge connector from a random GB, so once assembled can this be fit in that random GB shell you'd obviously have laying around?
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Ok, I do have one pointless question (seeing as I know I'm not buying this). I hate having random PCBs just laying around exposed. To assemble this you need to pilfer a cartridge connector from a random GB, so once assembled can this be fit in that random GB shell you'd obviously have laying around?
    No, it was designed to be as small as possible, to cut down on production costs. There are however many many other places to locate cartridge connectors. "MegaMemory Cards," Gamesharks, GB->PS1 adapters, N64 booster paks, Multi-slot cart switchers, super gameboy snes carts, etc.

The point for this is to allow the dumping of any official cartridge ROM and save files to be used for emulation. You may also use it for backing up save files on official carts for battery swapping, then rewriting the save files to cartridges. It also supports a ROM/save write feature that supports not only homemade carts, but official Nintendo flash carts (very rare), bleepbloop carts, and ASMretro carts.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Boards are in and population has begun! Only two people asked for incomplete boards, so I have a bit of work ahead of myself.
    Going very well though.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All is still going well. Just finishing up and beginning the programming stage. I have to learn this AVR DUDE BitBagng thing though...