Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Thanks

Default Dark Souls

Does anyone play this game? its a really fun game, but yet also really challenging to some. If you don't know what this game is, you're basically a knight/fighter/mage and etc going around the world killing demons and gaining souls because of your undead state (or at least, that's the story of Dark Souls.) It's a very simple game on the xbox 360 and ps3 with a pretty deep lore and a good amount of characters and whatnot. You can even kill the npcs if you wanted to, its just that they wouldn't come back alive for you to ever see them again.

This game got a very large fanbase even now after it came out. Im sure a large amount of people still play this game, so im just here wondering if any of you people play this game at all as well.

also: Has anyone played Demon's Souls? I might just get that as well as Dark Souls. I'm already almost finished with Dark Souls, so I kind of want to see what Demon's souls was like.

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I'm currently playing it, making friends in Anor Londo

And Demon's Souls is great, more challenging but a really good choice if you enjoyed Dark Souls.

Thanks

I haven't played Dark Souls or Demon's Souls, but I do remember seeing a quick game play on YouTube from KSI. Dark Souls does definitely look like a solid game, despite the "impossible" difficulty that many people bash on the game.
    How's it feel being beaten?

Thanks
    EP Points

Found dark souls a lot more forgiving than demons souls. Both games still have parts which are pretty hard, which I think adds to the overall satisfaction of beating it. Recently played the Prepare to Die edition of Dark souls and found the DLC to be pretty fun. I haven't touched dark souls for a while now because I don't really bother with the PVP part of it, which is a shame because that is what a lot of players play it for.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I'm currently playing it, making friends in Anor Londo

And Demon's Souls is great, more challenging but a really good choice if you enjoyed Dark Souls.
    Who is your bestest friend so far? Is it the spear throwing knight?
    Last edited by crusher; 7th-August-2013 at 13:57.

Thanks
    EP Points

I played it quite a lot. Never finished it but I got up to the Tomb of the Giants and also did some of the DLC content (up to the Artorias bossfight, who was a complete bitch to defeat. Because oh god that fucker is fast).

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    I played it quite a lot. Never finished it but I got up to the Tomb of the Giants and also did some of the DLC content (up to the Artorias bossfight, who was a complete bitch to defeat. Because oh god that fucker is fast).
    Artorias (and also Manus) was one of the best fights in the entire game. That feeling when you finally discover when to dodge and when to attack! And holy crap at that feeling when you finally beat the fucker!
    Last edited by crusher; 7th-August-2013 at 15:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Artorias (and also Manus) was one of the fights in the entire game. That feeling when you finally discover when to dodge and when to attack! And holy crap at that feeling when you finally beat the fucker!
    The funny bit is that I wanted to see the DLC content so much I went in there underleveled. Could only beat Artorias with an online partner (aka meat shield ), otherwise I'm certain he would've rearranged my anus...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    Who is your bestest friend so far? Is it the spear throwing knight?
    Which ones, the silver knight twins up there that won't let you get inside the second big building in Anor Londo? Those are really nice, they enjoy my presence and are always willing to make my time with them last as much as possible The best way to deal with them is by running like crazy to the one in the right to make him fall off. Cruel, I know, but friendship isn't always perfect

Thanks
    EP Points

Which ones, the silver knight twins up there that won't let you get inside the second big building in Anor Londo? Those are really nice, they enjoy my presence and are always willing to make my time with them last as much as possible The best way to deal with them is by running like crazy to the one in the right to make him fall off. Cruel, I know, but friendship isn't always perfect
    Oh man, those guys really piss me off. They're not bad when you have a partner, but making that trek without falling off or getting creamed by a spear can be pretty tough

I still think I prefer Demon Souls to Dark Souls though - I love them both, very much, but there are a few things in Demon that I think give it the edge. The biggest is the World Tendency - I loved how pure white or pure black would open up alternate paths either leading to awesome weapons, or really nasty mini-bosses, and also how black just affected the general difficulty as a whole.

Thanks
    EP Points

That part was evil. I've just found a stream were this person is attempting to beat dark souls with a steering wheel. I'm curious to see how well she does when she gets to this part.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    Oh man, those guys really piss me off. They're not bad when you have a partner, but making that trek without falling off or getting creamed by a spear can be pretty tough

I still think I prefer Demon Souls to Dark Souls though - I love them both, very much, but there are a few things in Demon that I think give it the edge. The biggest is the World Tendency - I loved how pure white or pure black would open up alternate paths either leading to awesome weapons, or really nasty mini-bosses, and also how black just affected the general difficulty as a whole.
    In some ways Demons souls is a lot harder than dark souls. Dare I say that it seems "rougher" than dark souls. I suppose the second game they are going to work out a lot of issues. (For me the biggest thing was how pointless attack magic tended to be)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

So, Orstein and Smough no more Being able to teleport is awesome, just wish there were more bonfires to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    Yeah, Demon's Souls was more unique in that aspect, some of those features really made it feel different.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    That part was evil. I've just found a stream were this person is attempting to beat dark souls with a steering wheel. I'm curious to see how well she does when she gets to this part.
    She will have to be careful to avoid skidding in that area

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookie Monster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I know this isn't a Dark Souls 2 thread, but what are your guys' thoughts on what you've heard about it so far? I'm afraid the series is going to get more and more accessible and become a shell of it's former self if they aren't careful. I know the director of Demon's and Dark isn't attached to this new game, and there were some quotes posted a while back saying they would make it easier, but still retain harder difficulties. I personally am against that - Demon's was a pretty brutal game, mainly because it was different, and it managed to sell well enough to warrant a multi-platform sequel, so in my eyes they don't need to be dumbing things down further. Dare I say this feels like it's going the Mass Effect route... (ME1, awesome, ME2, shooter, less RPG elements, ME3, balls out cover shooter, stripped of almost everything).

@Cookie and Stark, totally agree with both of you about uniqueness and the magic system.

Oh, and does anyone remember that dirty trick they pulled on Demon's the Halloween 1 year after it was released? Every players World Tendency was set to pure black,
    That was brilliant

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    The funny bit is that I wanted to see the DLC content so much I went in there underleveled. Could only beat Artorias with an online partner (aka meat shield ), otherwise I'm certain he would've rearranged my anus...
    I beat him on NG+ and it was plenty hard! Still super fun.

Wait why haven't you beaten the game yet, Gare? Bad practice mate! :O

Yeeeeeees I hate them so much! It's thank to those two that I learned to parry properly.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just gonna leave this here because it's relevant.

@crusher: I know I know! I'll get around to it eventually. Although by that time I'll probably be playing the shit out of DS2 instead.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post: