Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why all the Nintendo hate? And why drop $400+ on a new console?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DatN.O.Boi View Post
    Secondly, they're only rehashes if the core gameplay remains the EXACT same(ya know, like most EA games and military FPS games?). Mario's debatable, but have you ever played DKC Returns? Twilight Princess? Wind Waker? Majora's Mask? You also left out a healthy bit of Nintendo exclusives by the way.
    There's more gameplay difference between BO2 and CoD4 than there is between SS and WW. A rehash is a rehash.

$350 that might see a price cut when the other 2 next-gen consoles come out. $350 for a gaming console, not a mini-PC. $350 for free online serivces, free online MP, and a (mostly) friendly community. $350 for the same graphics as the other 2 next-gen consoles. Sony HDDs are also unreliable. At least MS can call themselves the kings of cheap memory. And as for the "not everyone cares to play emulators" point, you seem to think that not a lot of people like to be "ballin' on a budget" or enjoy a plethora of old-school games- much less 100s of them a la EmuParadise- for FREE!!! Especially since that kind of money is better spent elsewhere. It's not like I think everyone who likes games should buy a Wii U or any other next-gen console for that matter. It's just that the Wii U won't drain one's pockets like an XboxOne or PS4 would(hefty launch prices+subscription services+full retail price games).
    But whatever generates your mass effect field, I guess.
    Those features are inconsequential without the software support to back it up, which is what the people not buying the system are looking at (myself included). It's Nintendo's fault for having so many ass backwards policies. You want to point a finger, go for the people who made a system that's not super easy to develop for and then shoved a bunch of regulations on top of the mess then released the whole thing at the dumbest possible time. You're making it sound like developers have some sort of vendetta. Newsflash: they're in it for the MONEY. If there was actual money to be had they'd be on the Wii-U like cobwebs on my genitals. As for why there's no money there, you can point at a few things, among them Nintendo themselves. You don't drop a turd in the middle of a room then wonder why nobody wants to go in there.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    Sales figures:
    Spoiler warning:
    360 NPD sales:
    1st November - 326,000
    1st December - 281,000
    1st January - 250,000
    1st February - 161,000
    1st March (cycle refresh) - 192,000

PS3 NPD sales:
    1st November - 197,000
    1st December - 490,700
    1st January - 244,000
    1st February - 127,000
    1st March (cycle refresh) - 130,000

Wii U NPD sales:
    1st November - 425,000
    1st December - 460,000
    1st January - 57,000
    1st February - 66,000
    1st March (cycle refresh) - 55,000 (Pachter's prediction)

Wii U did not sell "well over a million" at launch. 1,008,000 total sales in the launch period.

Uh, no. Just no.

What are you on about? Sony launched several big games in it's first year. Uncharted, Motorstorm, GT Prologue, etc. Motorstorm alone moved over 3 million copies by itself. Not bad for a system that was only several months old at that point.
    To note, the global install base for the Wii-U stands at just a little over 3 million. In order to post the numbers Motorstorm did, you'd have to sell a copy to every. single, Wii-U owner. This is more than just a little bit of an undersell, the Wii-U is just not economically viable and appears to be more trouble than it's worth. Why put it on there and do things the hard way when the other 2 competitors literally designed their systems around making it easy to make/port shit and aren't currently requiring integration with their motion controller gimmicks. You can shove a game on PC/PS4/XBO with little effort and hiring on a team just to handle dealing with Wii-U when that isn't going to put much money in your pocket seems like a bad business plan. Not to mention Nintendo's general fanbase not having a huge overlap with larger 3rd party developers these days.

Conversely, the situation with the PS3 featured a situation where porting wasn't overly complicated most of the time and it was doing well in Japan (so Japanese developers were prone to sticking with Playstation or making sure it got a port). Making a 360 game? Knock out a PS3 port. It won't cost that much and at least there's a decent sized fanbase located within our demographic that'll probably pick it up. The Wii-U just doesn't have that happening.

TLR Nintendo should have aimed for the low hanging fruit market. They didn't and it's going to hurt them pretty bad.
    Last edited by Raype; 6th-July-2013 at 22:01.

Thanks
    EP Points

Can I sit on your lap while you tell me stories?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Only if you stroke my beard lovingly whilst I do so.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Can I sit on your lap while you tell me stories?
    Put on that Mistofolees outfit and you can sit on my lap anytime you want

Thanks

We must not forget that nintendo and sony were once partners! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gen...-nintendo.html anybody remember this? or have heard of it? nintendo was probably afraid sony would buy them out because sony is a bigger company, as far as im concerned they would have been better off joining with sony

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeShadows View Post
    We must not forget that nintendo and sony were once partners! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gen...-nintendo.html anybody remember this? or have heard of it? nintendo was probably afraid sony would buy them out because sony is a bigger company, as far as im concerned they would have been better off joining with sony
    I have, although the version I heard went more like this

Nintendo Executive #1: Okay guys, we have a crisis on our hands. Apparently they're putting games on compact disc now, and the graphics are beautiful and everyone is fawning over these things. They're already hitting the market and word on the street is our biggest competitor is pursuing it actively. Ideas NOW.
    Nintendo Executive #2: How about this: It's like an SNES but it uses CDs instead of cartridges.
    Nintendo Executive #1: Genius. Do we have anyone who knows how these disc thingamajigs work on speed dial?
    Nintendo Executive #3: I know this guy at Sony. They practically invented CDs.
    Nintendo Executive #1: Practically?
    Nintendo Executive #3: Philips kinda helped.
    Nintendo Executive #1: We got anyone at Philips?
    Nintendo Executive #4: I can summon them, but it will require a blood offering and it may lead to demonic entities appearing in our world.
    Nintendo Executive #1: We used to make slot machines, I have Satan in my rolodex. Who cares about a little demonic activity here or there?

*time passes*

Sony Executive #1: Hey, so we have this prototype thing. It's kinda nice. We might be able to tweak it out in a year or two. The guys downstairs have really been busting their asses to get this made. The guys at Philips are seriously scaring the shit out of us though. I swear I saw this one guy carving pentagrams into the motherboard. Which says nothing of all the desecrated goats. But we'll definitely make the deadline.
    Nintendo Executive #1: Yeah, about that. Those CD based games we flipped our shit about came out and...well... I think we're good. Cartridges are definitely the way to go forever and compact disc is really just a silly fad that'll end soon enough. Thanks for the help though!
    Sony Executive #1: YOU HAVE MADE A POWERFUL ENEMY THIS DAY.

*time passes*

Sony Executive #1: So, about this thing I worked really hard on. Maybe we can start up a game division and sell a version of it? Videogames are a pretty big market nowadays.
    Sony Executive #2: Eh, it's not the worst idea we've ever had. Have a proposal on my desk by monday.

MEANWHILE:

Link: I'm so hungry, I can eat an Octorock!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raype For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Well.
    What happens when you see someone/something always successful no matter the risks they take? You get pissed and wondering why, that's what.
    Most of these preteen/teenage lames have forgotten that Nintendo was the first to make their childhood games almost universally commercial, because they took risks that no one would sanely do, and still make money off it. Call it coincidence or a stroke of genius.
    I would just say that Nintendo will always have a place in my budget, because I want them to stay alive.
    Actually, I think most of the hate comes not from the risks they take, but from the ones they don't, they're scared to update their hardware more than one generation behind everyone else because of cost, they keep making the same basic game over and over again with a few new features, and they really don't innovate anymore, and yet their fanboys continue to buy the same outdated janky crap that doesn't push any boundaries whatsoever year in and year out while other consoles mysteriously sell less despite having higher quality and arguably better exclusives and definitely better ports than Nintendo. It's kind of hard not to see why if you're not a fanboy, thus the hate. Nintendo is the american republican party of consoles, obviously inferior, yet engendered with a strange and fanatical loyalty that is honestly hard to explain in any context other than fanaticism and lack of reason.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by DatN.O.Boi View Post
    $350 for the same graphics as the other 2 next-gen consoles. Sony HDDs are also unreliable.
    You honestly believe this? Wii U will never be able to handle graphics on par with what PS4 and Xbox One will be able to put out. It's just not powerful enough. By scaling an engine you could for sure get games to run but then it wouldn't be "on par", would it? And regarding Sony HDDs I have good news for you; Sony doesn't use their own HDDs in the PS3 and it's pretty likely they won't in PS4 either.

There's always Nintendo hate on the Internet but you are fooling yourself if you think Nintendo doesn't deserve flack for the Wii U. It's a console with a clear case of identity crisis which they of course are aware of and Iwata himself admitted they could and should have done more to prevent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to crusher For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hah been a while since I've came here...... But yeah I haven't bought any new systems since the PSP slim lol. Emulation is my gig

Thanks

I've been a Nintendo fan for most of my life, but they have been seriously fucking up since the days of the N64, when they told us that cartridges were the future (*snicker*). They elected to go with the mini-disc for GameCube, which was only 1.5GB (as opposed to the 4 or 9 GB models used by the others), and had no consumer benefit (the "cost savings" claimed didn't do anything to reduce the price; the copy protection failed utterly). Then they refused to allow DVD playback in the Wii (despite it being capable, as the hacking community showed) and went so far as to change their software and hardware in order to prevent it (a dick move). Their Wii internet strategy was serious bullshit (Friend codes were the biggest piece of shit "friend" system; fuck, AOL had a better system in 1992). And their console gimmicks (motion play, tablet play) are incredibly limited in their crossover potential when compared to the competition: the Kinect has been used for far more than just motion gaming (3D mapping, science experiments; and I hate using the Kinect, personally). And their tablet with the Wii U will be surpassed by the other systems once they integrate tablet support, and those second screens will be capable of far more than just being a status screen or a way to keep playing a game (since they aren't just a closed-system device attached to a game system).

They make hardware that is a generation behind, while adhering to a corporate philosophy that is several generations behind (not surprising for a company run solely by middle-aged/elderly Japanese businessmen with not a single female among their management), and their "creative luminary" is a 61-year-old man who has created one new franchise (Pikmin) in the past 20 years. Don't get me wrong. I love Miyamoto. I used to carry around a letter in my wallet that I got as a response from him when I was about 11 years old and told him how much the Zelda series affected me. But he's not exactly on the cutting edge of game design philosophy anymore.

I love Nintendo for the decades of fun they've given me, but they are seriously off the mark and have been for over a decade. It makes me sad to think Nintendo may go the way of Sega or worse within my lifetime, but I don't think they have what it takes to keep up anymore.

Thanks

I've always been a fan of Nintendo, despite the somewhat bad graphics. Never forget that Nintendo is the pioneer that revolutionized gaming and brought us out of the gaming depression. Remember when the Atari games were terrible for retailers? When retailers couldn't get rid of games for 1 cent a piece? Thankfully the NES changed all of that, and inspired other game developers as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by bwmathis View Post
    They make hardware that is a generation behind,
    There's a lot of things wrong in your post, but this blind statement always pisses me off. The NES SNES N64 and Gamecube were all exceptionally powerful systems (the assertions that the N64 and Cube were weak or failures are ridiculous). Then Nintendo made the Wii and was clearly the knockout winner of the generation. Yeah we didn't like its specs and casual features, but they made fucktons of money with it! Of fucking course they copied the business model for their next entry. In hindsight it seems like a bad idea, but they would've had to of been retards to think of trying anything else.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    There's a lot of things wrong in your post, but this blind statement always pisses me off. The NES SNES N64 and Gamecube were all exceptionally powerful systems (the assertions that the N64 and Cube were weak or failures are ridiculous). Then Nintendo made the Wii and was clearly the knockout winner of the generation. Yeah we didn't like its specs and casual features, but they made fucktons of money with it! Of fucking course they copied the business model for their next entry. In hindsight it seems like a bad idea, but they would've had to of been retards to think of trying anything else.
    Although the Wii was a huge success, they lost most of the profits from it's success due to the failure of the Nintendo 3DS

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

*PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Beck View Post
    Actually, I think most of the hate comes not from the risks they take, but from the ones they don't, they're scared to update their hardware more than one generation behind everyone else because of cost, they keep making the same basic game over and over again with a few new features, and they really don't innovate anymore, and yet their fanboys continue to buy the same outdated janky crap that doesn't push any boundaries whatsoever year in and year out while other consoles mysteriously sell less despite having higher quality and arguably better exclusives and definitely better ports than Nintendo. It's kind of hard not to see why if you're not a fanboy, thus the hate. Nintendo is the american republican party of consoles, obviously inferior, yet engendered with a strange and fanatical loyalty that is honestly hard to explain in any context other than fanaticism and lack of reason.
    I wouldn't blame them for taking another risk, they already lost a HUGE profit when the Nintendo 3DS didn't sell and they were forced to actually lower the profits. The only thing they can really do is play it safe, more risks would prove fatal to the company.