Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you rush through your games?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Do you rush through your games?

So this idea came to me due to a bunch of online threads about people asking how long a game is. I usually look these up myself occasionally, or just go to a site like HLTB. Since I get distracted easily I usually like to know in advance just how long of a game I should be expecting.

I often find that I finish games slower than others - I was seeing people mention how Dead Space 2 can be completed in about 8 hours, and yet my final playtime was around 13-14 hours. Of course, I spent a great deal of time walking around and savoring the atmosphere, looking at the environments, posters on the wall, stuff like that - basically enjoying what the developers put together instead of just running from point A to B. I feel like many people just rush through games these days.

Do you agree/disagree? Do you rush or take your time and immerse yourself? Let's try to discuss this I guess. What's your own pace at which you play games?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I always assumed longer play times were people sucking.

Seriously though I never just durdle around. I wouldn't call it rushing but with as long as it takes to 100% an RPG I'm going to try to do it as quickly as possible. I'm not going to skip any text or videos in the first playthrough but after that anything is fair game. Also, I have this nasty habit of getting up to do something when I'm playing a game and then one thing leads to another and another and another and then I come back 40+ minutes later. Sometimes this happens 5+ times when it's a longer game so my play time gets all messed up and I have no way to account for it.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, I mix it up a bit, I suppose. When playing an RPG - something I very rarely do these days - I'll go for all the sidequest and similar things, as long as they actually seem worth it. Meaning that I'm either looking forward to a super-cool reward or at the very least having fun. For other games, it depends very much on the nature and difficulties of the games in question. I was playing New SMB Wii with two mates who were very happy just running through the levels as fast as possible. Problem was, the only enjoyment I got when playing like that was making them die and stuff (classic no-op/con-op (no-op and con-op are both registered trademarks of the Elmdor Corporation)). When I actually played through the game with another mate we decided to get all those big coins, just to add something to an otherwise very easy game.

With that said, I mostly play old NES games, trying to beat them without dying and such. So, yeah, I rush.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

For me it pretty much depends on the type of game it is. If it's something I've been looking forward to and I have to plunk down $60, then you can bet I'll be squeezing every inch of that game in the first play through. If it's something I got on the super cheap, I'll usually just play the game to beat it and be done with it so I can move on to something else. I do find that games that have a very rich and detailed world, i.e. Deus Ex, Skyrim, etc, are the easiest to get lost in and really spend time with.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes and no I guess. I suppose it depends on the type of game. In an RPG I like to explore and do side quests early as possible which can take some time. Because of doing so my character/s are usually leveled up some and with decent equipment and then I tend to breeze through the main story lines. I can't stand long drawn out cut scenes and dialog and if possible I'll quite often just skip it even on a first playthrough (star ocean 3 was brutal for these and I don't think you could skip on a first play) I'm doing Dragon Age right now for example and can't be bothered to listen to this endless dialog whenever you talk to someone and skip everything except the last sentence and just choose an option from that and I don't think I've watched even one cut scene yet.

I like sandbox games and tend to take my time and roam or drive just exploring like in GTA games or fallout etc. So I pretty much take my time with those looking for stuff. FPS and platformers I generally just have fun playing and don't bother to really explore because it breaks up the game to much. With these if I liked them enough I'd go through again and maybe check a guide and pick up any extras if it's a game with Achievements/Trophies.

There are of course exceptions and it also depends on my mood and how late it is.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I'll admit that I myself sometimes rush through things if the game in question is lacking. I was basically speedrunning the last 2-3 hours of Tomb Raider due to how dull the gameplay was. But I still wanted to properly finish it. Same goes for AC Revelations where I mostly just ignored the side missions near the end and went for the story only because the game was getting seriously tedious.

Thanks
    EP Points

Definitely on 2nd or 3rd playthrough, but first one's I take my time doing sidequests and such

Thanks

I play practically every game pretty slow myself. I just explore a bit or try different methods. Some games are faster than others. If a game has a set path of objectives on what to do next then I tend to just play through it trying everything at my disposal. If it's like say Fallout 3 or Skyrim I try to at least beat it once and then for playthrough 2 I just explore. I usually don't hunt or google the "best gear" till near the end of the game or the 2nd time I play (if I play).

When it comes to Co-op games I just tend to do whatever. If I'm the "not-acclaimed but assumed leader" I tend to take it slow, just to protect my team. If someone else is leading I just follow, and usually I can hold my own so I don't mind. Only played Left 4 Dead and Bordelrands 1 and 2 Co-op so that may be lacking on experience.

Username: SoySauce (or similar) Name: Kenshii

Thanks
    EP Points

I rush if the game totally sucks, but like to take my time exploring everything if its good. Sorta like having sex I suppose

Thanks
    EP Points

If I'm into a game, then I like to get all the goodies before I fight the last boss or whatever; in fact, I obsess sometimes, and if I miss a good item, I have to fight myself to not start over. If the gameplay is bunk but I like the story, I try to plow through it as quickly as possible, forget the trinkets. If the gameplay AND story is terrible, I give up on the thing because I'm not a masochist.

Mega Man Legends 3 Fan Project!
    We're back, baby. I'd love if someone could help me read this.

Thanks

I can't tell. I usually play RPG's so I expect around 20-40hrs gameplay. Problem is when I play I leave the console on. I will go smoke a ciggy or do some chores and leave the game running. I know this isn't go0d for my console or my electricity bill but I am just to lazy to turn it off. I know I rack up a couple of hours doing this. I remember when I was playing Xenoblade, after a dungeon I would head back to make some gems, cook a small meal watch the tube for a show, then hop back on. I racked up 78hrs at the end of my playthru and did nt do many sidemissions or build the colony. Its impossible for me to add up how many times I've done this.

I do however enjoy my games. I am one of those people that try to make it into a movie. I like to do slow pans on the camera to see everything. Walk up to the kings throne instead of running up to get the next mission. I try to add realism. YES I KNOW!!!! its just a game but I love to immerse myself
    Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks
    EP Points

If game become tedious at some point I'll rush hard (skiping cutscenes, text, ignoring secondary quests, etc.) from that point.

Thanks

90% of games I play I do rush through them, meaning I don't care about trophies or bonus content.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

I never rush through games. Doing it seems quite pointless to me. Either I play them or I don't.

Thanks
    EP Points

i dont like rushing through games.