Thread: Recording PCSX2 without lag

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Recording PCSX2 without lag

Well... just as the topic's title says, I'd like to record PS2 games on said emulator without lag. Here is my computer info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z...cAsyTlVmHmkhOo

The emulation itself occurs lag-less (But I've only tested one game so far: Odin Sphere. Don't know about any others). However, when I use fraps to record it, the framerate drops to around 30~40fps. (I always record at 30fps -- full-size) And while this built-in AVI recorder from the emulator can make the output AVI file lag-free, while recording with it, the emulation still lags... not only that, but the AVI file that's created is way too big, the audio and video files comes sepparated, and there's no file extension suffix. By changing it to .avi, it makes the video work, but when I throw it on virtualdub, the program doesn't recognize it. (And I need this program to make editions and stuff like that)

So... what should I do to record without lag? I was considering either overclocking my computer (if that would actually help) or buying this, but I don't understand how it works very well, and seems like I'd need two different computers for that.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    EP Points

When you're recording, the computer needs to do more processing hence the lag. The reason the files are so big is because they are not compressed. Compression takes a lot of processing power so if you wanted to do compression on the fly your game would lag even more. You can compress them later.

I don't know why your program doesn't recognize the file, but I found a related thread here. (More discussions here. )

The device you linked to is an expensive HD recorder. If you install it on the same computer you're playing it might still lag because the application which records still takes processing power. If you have another computer it might solve your problem. You would also need a HDMI splitter if your graphic card only has one output. They usually have 2. Mine has a DVI output which goes to my monitor and an HDMI output which is free. If you're using HDMI output for your monitor you'd still need the HDMI splitter.

HOWEVER, those are really expensive equipment, so unless you really have to, I suggest you just put up with the lag.

PS: If you have a real PS2, you can use that to record, there are composite capture cards or capture devices that are really cheaper than the HD ones.

EDIT: There's also a general recording application called fraps which records anything on screen and people usually use it to record PC games. You can try that as well maybe it works better than internal recording. I doubt it but trying won't hurt.

EDIT 2: Nevermind fraps, it's a pay for application.
    Last edited by gezegond; 22nd-April-2013 at 03:27.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

Fraps is terrible, use MSI Afterburner instead. MJPEG can be variably compressed, does not negatively impact performance much (if at all), and 100% free. There's no better free choice.

And if you're still are getting lag then its caused by the lack of juice in your rig, not much can be done then unless you look at hardware alternatives.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by synnchan View Post
    Well... just as the topic's title says, I'd like to record PS2 games on said emulator without lag. Here is my computer info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z...cAsyTlVmHmkhOo

However, when I use fraps to record it, the framerate drops to around 30~40fps. (I always record at 30fps -- full-size) (...)

Any recommendations?
    Yes. Record with fraps at 60fps. PS2 games run with 50fps PAL, and 60fps NTSC so if you set 30fps on record you will get half of game speed or laggy controls (or both).

Thanks
    EP Points

People, I think I'm pretty much giving up on fraps. Some say it's the best recording software, others say it's rubbish. Well, I know my computer isn't the best out there, but it's certainly not bad neither. Yet, I still can't achieve lag-less recording with fraps for more demanding games, and I don't have the money to buy an incredibly beasty machine just to be able to support fraps and guarantee lag-free recording on any PS2 game that exists.

So, I was wondering if someone can recommend me some software that will in fact achieve lag-less recording at least on most games out there. It doesn't need to achieve such a task even with something like Skyrim at max settings, or a game like Shadow of the Colossus via PCSX2. But at least guarantee a good performance with games that demands at least a moderately good machine.

Thanks
    EP Points

EDIT:

Ignore me
    Last edited by Alakazander; 23rd-April-2013 at 06:00.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by synnchan View Post
    People, I think I'm pretty much giving up on fraps. Some say it's the best recording software, others say it's rubbish. Well, I know my computer isn't the best out there, but it's certainly not bad neither. Yet, I still can't achieve lag-less recording with fraps for more demanding games, and I don't have the money to buy an incredibly beasty machine just to be able to support fraps and guarantee lag-free recording on any PS2 game that exists.

So, I was wondering if someone can recommend me some software that will in fact achieve lag-less recording at least on most games out there. It doesn't need to achieve such a task even with something like Skyrim at max settings, or a game like Shadow of the Colossus via PCSX2. But at least guarantee a good performance with games that demands at least a moderately good machine.
    You can try MSI Afterburner which WorkNoFun suggested, I've never tried it, but checked the website and it was free. (I don't know if the free version has limits like fraps does)

I still think PCSX2's built in recorder is the best option available to you. If you can't get it working, post in PCSX2's official forums, people will be able to help you better there since they're more likely to have experience. You might be able to achieve what you want by messing around with PCSX2's settings (both the renderer plugins and recorder).

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    EP Points

MSI Afterburner settings:

You can choose framerate, resolution, and compression to match your needs/hard drive space/upload speed. Have at it.