Thread: psx4droid: Final Fantasy 8 freezes when entering battle

Thanks

Default psx4droid: Final Fantasy 8 freezes when entering battle

This is my first post so sorry if I do something wrong.

So when I try running Final Fantasy 8 on psx4droid everything seems to work fine but any time I get into a battle the music changes and the screen freezes (it does not even do that thing where is gets all distorted). Now after some google searching I found that this is a problem that some other emulator had (pcsx) but the solution was to get different bios that were specific to that emulator (I think). Any ideas? I would appreciate the help.

I am using a droid razr m.
    android 4.1.1

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Moved..
    Everything Emulation
    Emulation on your Home Computer. Can't get a rom to run? An iso won't load? Is an emulator giving you problems? If so, this is the place to find your answer.
    Everything Console
    For those wanting to mod their console or having problems running software including games and emulators on your console.
    Everything Console has a mobile devices section for phones and pads

Try Bios SCPH1001 the game reportedly works with that bios set

Also try both the PAL and NTSC versions of the game

It maybe an issue with your actual hardware rather than settings or bios though

or just get ePSXe instead for your android device

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't realize this was only for PC emulation. I'll start the thread again in the appropriate place after trying your suggestions. I do have those bios so I guess I'll try the other emulator or a 3rd version of the game.

edit: moved. didn't see that. clearly my reading skills are lacking

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Just too quick for you

Do look at the other region version of the game first though, the compat list I seen was for the PAL version though on another compat list that didn't list bios version says both the PAL-E and NTSC-U versions work

Depending on your hardware though depends how well they will run

As far as emulating on PC though I have never seen a bios choice make any difference to a game working or not working

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I'm using the ntsc-u version. I seem to be the only person on the planet with this problem on the razr m which is new so i'm fairly sure it's not a hardware problem. Everything works fine but I cannot enter battles. Hopefully someone who has had this problem happens upon this thread.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Try the pal-e version sometimes just listed as E that doesn't stand for english but Europe though that version is in english

most users are using the pal version I can only assume that it is because the frame rate is smaller so it is more like to run smoother/quicker

PAL runs at 50FPS but NTSC runs at 60FPS, don't for one second think that a PAL game runs slower than a NTSC game though the 50 frames and 60 frames contain the same image at the start and end of those frames so every second for each will have the exact same image it's just within that second NTSC has 10 extra frames, this is not something you can notice by eye or ear unless you run something that is ment to be at 60FPS at 50FPS or vice versa

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

You should try changing emulators as well. I have FPSE and it usually works though I have not tried FF8.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Update: Solved.

After trying the NTSE-U and the PAL-E versions of FF8 with SCPH1001.BIN for the bios I decided to switch to SCPH7003.BIN (Europe) bios. Since I already was using the PAL-E version of FF8 I only tested it out with that but it works now. Though I've only been through one battle the game now saves (which it didn't do before) and goes into battles with full menus and everything. I will post an edit when I get around to testing the NTSE-U with the new bios. I hope if anyone has this problem they will happen upon this. I do not know if this is a problem specific to PXS4Droid or what there that is.

Also I have a Motorola Razr M
    and Droid 4.1.1 in case this is pertinent.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

AMD and Sony worked together to create a custom "Jaguar" APU.

AMD's Vice President of Global Communications and Industry Marketing John Taylor recently "elaborated" on the APU that is packed in Sony's semi-announced PlayStation 4 console. He said the new gaming console is the first announced design win based on a semi-custom AMD APU which was jointly developed in coordination with Sony.

"At the most basic level, an APU is a single chip that combines general-purpose x86 central processing unit (CPU) cores with a graphics processing unit (GPU) and a variety of system elements, including memory controllers, specialized video decoders, display outputs, etc.," he said. "Our semi-custom solutions take the same treasure trove of graphics; compute and multi-media IP found in our APUs, and customize them for customers who have a very specific high-volume product that could benefit from AMD’s leading-edge technologies."

But for the PlayStation 4, AMD leveraged the building blocks of its 2013 product "roadmap" for PCs and created a solution that incorporates the upcoming "Jaguar" CPU cores with next-generation Radeon graphics, thus delivering nearly 2 TFLOPS of compute performance. This will allow developers to "fundamentally" change the console gaming experience by letting them harness the power of parallel processing.

As stated on Wednesday, the APU will consist of eight x64 AMD "Jaguar" cores and a next-generation Radeon GPU comprised of 18 "compute units" capable of cranking out 1.84 teraflops. This chip will be backed by 8 GB of unified GDDR5 RAM (17 GB/sec of bandwidth), a built-in HDD, USB 3.0, a Blu-ray optical drive, Gigabit Ethernet, Wireless N and more. Note that a Radeon HD 7970 is rated at 3.5 teraflops.

AMD's "Jaguar" is the successor to "Bobcat" which powers current C- and E-Series low-power APUs. The company is expected to launch its first batch of Jaguar-based APUs during the middle of 2013, codenamed as Kabini and Temash. These 28-nm chips will have power envelopes of 15W or less, and up to four cores.

In addition to the PlayStation 4 explanation, Taylor hinted at big news on the horizon for gamers with AMD hardware. Could the company possibly be retaliating against Nvidia's Project Shield? We'll find out next month when AMD reveals its big surprise at the Game Developers Conference.

"This is going to be a very exciting year for gamers, especially for those with AMD hardware in their PCs and consoles, as we have even more game-changing (pun intended) announcements still to come," he said. "Look for some more exciting things happening at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in March when we will provide even more info on how we are working with game developers to make AMD the hardware of choice for running the best games!"

Alright, you have our attention. Blow our minds next month, please. Meanwhile, we'll salivate over the new PlayStation 4 game screens… maybe.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]