Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next VS Previous Gen

Thanks

Default Next VS Previous Gen

Name the next gen games that you feel didn't live up to their previous Gen roots. For example PSX vs PS2, XBOX vs XBOX 360, SNes vs Gamecube, etc. (I probably just opened a can of worms with that last example...)

I'll start it off with Wipeout Fusion (PS2) which IMO was worse than all PSX versions of the game.

Also, Silent hill. I enjoyed the PSX version more so than any of the PS2 sequals I played.
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Dino Crisis 3.
    A terrible game imo.

I realise it's not on the following gen Sony console, but I don't think it would've made any difference if it had been on ps2.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wind Waker and Toilet Princess on Gamecube. Both N64 and Snes iterations of Zelda were far superior, and the series is still going downhill.
    Next up, Final Fantasy. To me, the series peaked on Snes, so I think the PS1 versions didn't quite live up to what I expected from them. (they aren't bad games at all, don't kill me) And beyond that, the PS2 and PS3 games have just gotten worse.
    Last up, Metroid. Super Metroid was the absolute shit - It has yet to be matched and three generations have passed.

Thanks
    EP Points

Everything went downhill when sprites changed to polygons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Aid Man View Post
    You've just won the exaggeration of the week award.

Congrats!

Thanks
    EP Points

devil may cry series. 1 and 3 were awsome, 4, not so much. and i really hate how games this gen were mostly multi-platform. no, just no.

Thanks

Well its pretty much for every system but there are TOO MANY naruto games...

Thanks
    EP Points

current gen mega man, need i say more?

really hate seeing my favorite franchises from when i was a kid go downhill like that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    Name the next gen games that you feel didn't live up to their previous Gen roots. For example PSX vs PS2, XBOX vs XBOX 360, SNes vs Gamecube, etc. (I probably just opened a can of worms with that last example...)

I'll start it off with Wipeout Fusion (PS2) which IMO was worse than all PSX versions of the game.

Also, Silent hill. I enjoyed the PSX version more so than any of the PS2 sequals I played.
    not sure if N64 was skipped intentionally lol

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFlave View Post
    Wind Waker and Toilet Princess on Gamecube. Both N64 and Snes iterations of Zelda were far superior, and the series is still going downhill.
    Next up, Final Fantasy. To me, the series peaked on Snes, so I think the PS1 versions didn't quite live up to what I expected from them. (they aren't bad games at all, don't kill me) And beyond that, the PS2 and PS3 games have just gotten worse.
    Last up, Metroid. Super Metroid was the absolute shit - It has yet to be matched and three generations have passed.
    dood, almost ALL zelda games are good, just because OOT is your fav doesnt mean you should bash the newer ones, Windwaker is WAY more fun than OOT in my opinion but thats just it, MY opinion

I cant Speak on FF cause i only liked crisis core no others and metroid other M was awesome, escpecially with the Team Ninja "touch"

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Aid Man View Post
    i MUCH prefer polygon over sprite, an CG remake of some megaman classics and golden sun 1 would be godly

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    current gen mega man, need i say more?

really hate seeing my favorite franchises from when i was a kid go downhill like that.
    starforce and Battlenetwork were awesome!

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

dood, almost ALL zelda games are good, just because OOT is your fav doesnt mean you should bash the newer ones, Windwaker is WAY more fun than OOT in my opinion but thats just it, MY opinion

I cant Speak on FF cause i only liked crisis core no others and metroid other M was awesome, escpecially with the Team Ninja "touch"
    I don't recall saying OOT was my favorite, and if you must know LTTP is actually the one I like best. This is a topic on what games let you down as a consumer after a generation switch, and to me Zelda went stale after it's first 3D outing. I don't think they're good games anymore.

Another game that was a letdown, and I'm sure a few of you will agree on this one; the jump from Mario 64 to Mario Sunshine.
    Mario 64 was a lot of fun and totally new at the time... great follow up to Mario World. Then we had to wait for what, 5 years or more for the next iteration of Mario and it was Sunshine? Ugh, total letdown.

Thanks
    EP Points

i guess but i was referring to the most recent flops in regards to mega man.

i dunno, its been so long since i actively checked out current gen games (like early xbox 360 gen) that i'm a bit out of touch with whats actually good and what isn't these days. mostly i've just been sticking to a few franchises i really like or emulating older games (psp/nds and older) hence the mega man post.

don't have wii-u (and don't plan on get that hybrid console/handheld) or ps4 so i'm a bit behind and after hearing about the stuff microsoft might be planning for it, i very highly doubt i'll get the 3rd xbox (they need to nip that bs "always-on" DRM in the bud asap).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by luffy4 View Post
    i MUCH prefer polygon over sprite, an CG remake of some megaman classics and golden sun 1 would be godly

starforce and Battlenetwork were awesome!
    Polygons, especially during the PSX/N64 era, looked absolutely awful in comparison to a sprite game. It's gotten to the point now where it's a moot point, but almost all polygon games looked terrible when compared to a sprite game. Even most SNES games still look great to this day, where almost all N64 games (with only a handful of exceptions) look just gawdawful.

I would not want to see a remake of the first Mega Man games. Capcom has beaten remakes and rereleases of the Mega Man franchise into the ground, and I would prefer they don't touch it ever again and leave my memories in piece. Or, if they do touch it, release a spiritual successor to the Legends franchise and make something similar to Ratchet & Clank -- tons of enemies, platforming "puzzles," over-the-top weapons, etc. I feel like Mega Man would fit into that environment a lot better.

As for Starforce and BattleNetwork... I enjoyed Mega Man games because they relied on pin-point controls, platform puzzles, timing, and mastering how to use each weapon. The Starforce and BattleNetwork games are RPGs and take almost all of those out of the equation, and I do not want to play them. They will continue to be made because they are selling and are very well received, but if the topic of the thread is "what games did not live up to their previous generation titles," I would definitely say that the Battle Network or Star Force games did not live up to what I want out of a Mega Man game, going all the way back to the NES/SNES days.

Thanks

OK, when I started this thread I guess I was a little unclear. It doesn't have to be the very next generation console and considering Dead Legions post, it doesn't even have to be the same line of consoles. So in short, if you want to compare a SNES version of a game to it's XBox 360 sequal (if there is such a thing) thats cool..

Another one I thought of was Metal Gear Solid. I enjoyed the PSX version way more than part 2 for PS2. Not that it was a bad game...just not as good IMO. And as for MGS3.....I didn't own that game until I found it in the bargain bin..and all I can say is that the opening sequences involved sooooo much fucking text I lost interest before I even started the game. You know....at least let me put some time into the game before you drop a fucking huge text bomb on me....probaply a halfway decent game once it actually starts. But if I have to read a novel before I even get to play the game then forget it. I play games to interact....I read books to fucking read...WTF....and to think that game writers are like the second highest paid position at a game studio....when half the time those long drawn out stories probably repel people rather than draw them in...
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Drageuth View Post
    Polygons, especially during the PSX/N64 era, looked absolutely awful in comparison to a sprite game. It's gotten to the point now where it's a moot point, but almost all polygon games looked terrible when compared to a sprite game. Even most SNES games still look great to this day, where almost all N64 games (with only a handful of exceptions) look just gawdawful.

I would not want to see a remake of the first Mega Man games. Capcom has beaten remakes and rereleases of the Mega Man franchise into the ground, and I would prefer they don't touch it ever again and leave my memories in piece. Or, if they do touch it, release a spiritual successor to the Legends franchise and make something similar to Ratchet & Clank -- tons of enemies, platforming "puzzles," over-the-top weapons, etc. I feel like Mega Man would fit into that environment a lot better.

As for Starforce and BattleNetwork... I enjoyed Mega Man games because they relied on pin-point controls, platform puzzles, timing, and mastering how to use each weapon. The Starforce and BattleNetwork games are RPGs and take almost all of those out of the equation, and I do not want to play them. They will continue to be made because they are selling and are very well received, but if the topic of the thread is "what games did not live up to their previous generation titles," I would definitely say that the Battle Network or Star Force games did not live up to what I want out of a Mega Man game, going all the way back to the NES/SNES days.
    oh yeah, i definately agree with PSX and most N64 looking garbage, even 80% of PS2 games

as for starforce/bn they arent direct sequels or related at all, they just use the characters in sortof a parralel universe whereas all the other series link together

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    i guess but i was referring to the most recent flops in regards to mega man.

i dunno, its been so long since i actively checked out current gen games (like early xbox 360 gen) that i'm a bit out of touch with whats actually good and what isn't these days. mostly i've just been sticking to a few franchises i really like or emulating older games (psp/nds and older) hence the mega man post.

don't have wii-u (and don't plan on get that hybrid console/handheld) or ps4 so i'm a bit behind and after hearing about the stuff microsoft might be planning for it, i very highly doubt i'll get the 3rd xbox (they need to nip that bs "always-on" DRM in the bud asap).
    I think the last Megaman Game was Starforce 3 or megaman 10 unless you count the crappy Iphone game and ports

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks

@luffy4 - Sorry man, but do you realise that the majority of your posts consist of 90% quotes, and 10% consist of your comments. Quit that shit please!!