Thread: Urgent help. ePSXe 1.8.0 - Games not loading.

Thanks

Default Urgent help. ePSXe 1.8.0 - Games not loading.

I'm really new to this whole emulator thing, so please excuse me if I say something incorrect.

I had ePSXe 1.7.0 and updated to 1.8.0 recently.
    Before I only had Castlevania: SOTN (which is an ISO) which worked perfectly and still does work with 1.8.0.

On the other hand, I recently downloaded one Crash Bandicoot ISO and Final Fantasy VII three 'disc' set ISO which do not seem to load.
    I open them and they go to a black screen, like it's about to load, but nothing happens. I thought at first it may just be a bit slow, but I left both games "loading" for over an hour each with no progress.
    I have been searching for the last few days to see if I could fix it myself, but I've had no luck.

Have I done something wrong? Are there extra plugins, bios, patches or whatever I need to run these two games?

If it helps, this is where I downloaded 1.8.0, the games on the other hand I think I download from kickasstorrents or something similar. I can find the links if they are necessary.
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...s-and-Plugins)

Thanks in advance for the help.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

To make sure it's not just bad disc images try with P.E.Op.S soft plugin instead of your usual plugin (do not change any settings) just to make sure it's not just custom settings stooping the games from working

We can move from there if that alone makes it work if not though I would re-download those games

Those games do work in ePSXe though

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The main site for epfuroms.org is Emuparadise.me

Get your games there and you should have much better results. The ROMs, ISOs, and Games section has links to just about anything you could want and all files there have been very reliable in my experience.

Also, under the Emulators section there, you will find a package of ePSXe 1.7.0+BIOS+Plugins. This has a HUGE selection of plugins, since the package for 1.8 there doesn't come with plugins recommended in the ePSXe config wizard. If you run the wizard, on the video section you will see that different plugins are recommended depending on your brand of Graphics Card/GPU. The 1.8 package only comes with P.E.Op.s soft driver and Pete's OpenGL2. Both are good plugins, but may cause problems with the wrong hardware.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks

@Zorlon
    I tried that and had no luck. I am redownloading the games and will test again.

@skullpoker
    I'll try that after I try Zorlon's idea. I couldn't find the download you were talking about, but I did find a 1.7.0 Starter pack. Is that the same thing?
    Sorry if I sound stupid, hah.

**UPDATE** 2:10

I redownloaded Crash Bandicoot and downloaded 1.7.0 Starter pack (the emulator I mentioned above) and it's working.

FFVII is downloaded too, but it comes up with the file extension .ecm (full file name "Final Fantasy VII (E) (Disc 1) [SCES-00867].bin.ecm". The same for discs 2 and 3), whereas Crash Bandicoot comes up with .ccd, .img and .sub.
    The FFVII files don't even show up when I go to open them through the emulator.

Crash Bandicoot had three files when I extracted it: "Crash Bandicoot [U] [SCUS-94900].ccd", "Crash Bandicoot [U] [SCUS-94900].img" and "Crash Bandicoot [U] [SCUS-94900].sub". I used the .img and it works.

For the Final Fantasy ones, would converting them to ISO or .img fix the issue?
    Last edited by partywreck; 30th-March-2013 at 02:11.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by partywreck View Post
    I couldn't find the download you were talking about, but I did find a 1.7.0 Starter pack. Is that the same thing?

FFVII is downloaded too, but it comes up with the file extension .ecm

For the Final Fantasy ones, would converting them to ISO or .img fix the issue?
    The package should be on the same page where you found the 1.7.0 starter pack, just look up and down the page a bit.

For the FFVII .ECM files, yes. And this is how you convert them.

Zorlon's guide to .ECM and .APE files.

My mistake. Here's the link to ePSXe+BIOS+Plugins v1.6.0, not 1.7. You will need 7zip to extract it, then copy the plugin folder and paste it in your current ePSXe folder. Tell it "No to All" so it doesn't mess with your current plugins.
    Last edited by skullpoker; 30th-March-2013 at 03:55.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Those games that you said works in ePSXe v.1.8.0 just be sure that you got the emulator configurated properly. You can download the emulator in the PSX Datacenter (and you can also check the emulation guide there too...), you just have to provide the bios yourself.

http://psxdatacenter.com

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Do what skullpoker said

and do not convert Disc image types

also note that running a game via the main data file is a bad idea specially if the game happens to have CDDA tracks because they will not work running a game directly from a Bin or img files, for those run from a cue files or a ccd file

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks

I got everything working.

Thanks so much for helping me!

Big hugs and cookies for all!