Thread: I need help with figuring this whole emulation thing out

Thanks

Default I need help with figuring this whole emulation thing out

Hello everyone. My 9yo kid insists that he wants to play this game, Ben 10 Vilgax Attacks. As far as I can tell, this is only available to gaming consoles and not to PC?
    http://www.ben10thevideogame.com/vilgaxattacks/

We don't have any gaming consoles. I think an emulator is what we need, right? I have no idea where to begin. What needs to be downloaded, where, and how to make a console version run on a PC. Do emulators enable playing with your keyboard and mouse? or do you still need to buy a fancy joystick? How do I know which emulator to choose? how do I know which game version to buy (i.e. for which gaming console)? I'd hate to spend money on this only to find out I can't get it to run on our computer. Also, do you need a special kind of computer? Ours are working, but definitely are not gamers' choice for 2013...

Any help would be great appreciated. I guess I'm looking for a "For Dummies" guide to this

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Ben 10: Omniverse is a PC game

Ben 10: Vilgax Attacks is on NDS PS2 PSP WII & X360

All the emulators for those systems require high end computers with only 2 exceptions 360 is not emulated at all, and some lower end systems may be able handle some NDS emulation (this will depend on how well the game is emulated and if the game is heavy on resources or not)

You can use Keyboard with most emulators some do support mouse as well, NDS emulators tend to have mouse support anyway for the touch screen

For NDS emulation there are only 2 choices really no$gba (despite the name it does emulate NDS hardware) and Desmume each have there own issues so it's per game rather just than system specs you need to look at

all other Ben 10 games are console only games as well except the Omniverse game that is also on PC

If you give us some system specs we will be able to advise you better

To find out what your system specs are just hit the windows key, there should be a text box shown on the lower part of the menu you just opened, in that box type dxdiag and hit enter

The above will open the Direct X diagnostic tool

We want all the info under the heading "system information", if you then hit the display tab that will tell you what you graphics chip set it as well, the info we need is under the heading "Device"

That's all we need

P.S. If you have ever had a PSX or PS2 and still have controllers you can get USB converters for cheap enough, makes playing games on a PC much beter

P.P.S. If you have a PS2 you can mod them with software easy enough or get a member here to mod your memcard for you via post (preferably a trusted member that has done this a few times now)

You can't buy a game and be able to play that on a PC, not with most systems Wii and GameCube discs can't be read in a PC at all NDS and PSP use media that a PC can't read

PS2 discs can be read in a PC but if your system is not good enough the emulator will just not work fast enough

360 and PS3 discs can't be read by a PC correctly and neither can Dreamcast discs

with all that out the way, what you do is download a dumped game, as there are methods of dumping the contents of various console software to PC, usually to start with for cart or card based systems this is done with custom hardware and disc systems this is done via connecting a PC to a Console using hacked / modded hardware to enable this to be done, not something I would ever advise someone new to this to do themselves
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-April-2013 at 17:51.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR