Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Videogame challenges: NES gaming!

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Wait, what? Do you mean the final boss, or the final Russian guy boss? None of them were hard. :O Brilliant story line there, by the way. Roll with funny hat appears! Sorry, Megaman, but the bad guy is in another castle!
    No I mean the final Wily. He can be pretty tough but eh still easy... And I assume you know that isn't Roll.

Heh, duh! You run out of wire before taking even half of his health but it was still funny. Totally didn't manually detonate though. D'oh!
    Oh I didn't remember that. Totally thought you could completely destroy it with wire. :O How did the drill bombs detonate then? Doesn't they just bounce off the machine with no explosion? HOW HOW HOW!?

Damn it, that one sounds funky. It's a shame the game doesn't require all the power ups. Well... I think so, MM1 did! All one of them.
    Balloon is kinda like item-1 in Mega Man 2. They feel kinda unnecessary though when you have Rush.

You go, gurl. ^_________^ Found Death difficult? Dracula? Did you figure out how to properly defeat the Cookie Monster (for some reason I recall AVG's Castlevania playthrough. He did it all wrong)?
    Died quite a few times on Death but only because of how much the sickle damage you. Dracula was much harder. Figured out after a while that it's easier to jump over his flames than trying to destroy them. Second form was soooo annoying! But holy water and a level II powerup sealed the deal. Cookie Monster? Reference to Dracula's blue skin colour or something else?

Gonna play Mega Man next. Castlevania 3 will have to wait a while. Also have to beat the actual final 3 levels in Lolo 3... >__>

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by crusher View Post
    No I mean the final Wily. He can be pretty tough but eh still easy... And I assume you know that isn't Roll.
    Um, very easy, more like it. And it was very obvious which weapon to use too. HOW ABOUT THE ONE THAT CAN REACH HIM!? Well, obviously. But she looks like Roll. And has a silly hat. And the game only tells you she's random guy's daughter. HOW COME THE GAMES DON'T TELL YOU WHAT THE ROBOTS WERE SUPPOSED TO DO, 'CEPT IN MM1!?!? Oh, right. Probably because they were built for evil right away. Whatever, I still wanna know what good Gravity man was supposed to do for the society.

Oh I didn't remember that. Totally thought you could completely destroy it with wire. :O How did the drill bombs detonate then? Doesn't they just bounce off the machine with no explosion? HOW HOW HOW!?
    If you can then I did something horribly wrong. Hm, I've given this alot of though (read: three seconds) and I've come up with two possible explanations.

1. You're wrong. I do know that the drill did bounce once or twice, I assumed I didn't hit the right area.
    2. I'm wrong, and occidentally manually destroyed the drills without realizing.

I'll let you decide which is right.

Died quite a few times on Death but only because of how much the sickle damage you. Dracula was much harder. Figured out after a while that it's easier to jump over his flames than trying to destroy them. Second form was soooo annoying! But holy water and a level II powerup sealed the deal. Cookie Monster? Reference to Dracula's blue skin colour or something else?

Gonna play Mega Man next. Castlevania 3 will have to wait a while. Also have to beat the actual final 3 levels in Lolo 3... >__>
    Mhm. And sometimes even I - who's played it a bunch - can just totally walk the wrong way and end up getting hit by him. Not by sickles, mind you, I cross them but yeah. Hardest boss in the game, I'd say. Well, sort of. Heh, it's a lot easier to jum once you get the timing in. Tsk, cheatbot. You're supposed to just stand next to him, that way he won't shoot. And when you want to go under him and switch sides, just duck. It'll cause him to do a great jump instead of a small ('cept when the game has bugged out, but you can tell, 'cause he'll be floating in the air a little bit). Easy-peasy.

Go! We can, like, compare notes and stuff. But, yeah, I forgot to comment earlier on the yellow devil or whatever he's called. He's actually difficult (though, my brother said you can just pause on him when you use some weapon and he'll die instantly. Silly cheater...). Although, when I finally did beat him I only got hit once, so yeah.

Soooooooooo! I beat Megaman V aswell.

Mega Man 5_013.png

More well-balanced than MMIV, even though some robot masters were ridiculously easy. And the last boss was the dullest fight ever in the history of games I've played recently. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to use the mega buster though, but nothing else seemed to do much damage. :/ Still don't get the damn E-tank frenzy.

Mega Man 5_006.png

^ Me on the second last level (Robot Masters revisited). Geez, bub, think I'll be able to beat them????? Missed a secret again though. >___<

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

I might play some Castlevania later today since that seems the game to play. It's been a while anyway. I probably shouldn't play it now though, don't need to be cussing in the middle of lecture.

Thanks
    EP Points

Um, very easy, more like it. And it was very obvious which weapon to use too. HOW ABOUT THE ONE THAT CAN REACH HIM!? Well, obviously. But she looks like Roll. And has a silly hat. And the game only tells you she's random guy's daughter. HOW COME THE GAMES DON'T TELL YOU WHAT THE ROBOTS WERE SUPPOSED TO DO, 'CEPT IN MM1!?!? Oh, right. Probably because they were built for evil right away. Whatever, I still wanna know what good Gravity man was supposed to do for the society.
    All robot masters do have their purpose but yeah they left that out from the games. The ones in Mega Man 5 are all created by Dr. Wily so of course they are just "tools of evil".

Did you know that Top Man is a space-exploration robot or that Shadow Man is actually an alien re-purposed by Wily?

If you can then I did something horribly wrong. Hm, I've given this alot of though (read: three seconds) and I've come up with two possible explanations.

1. You're wrong. I do know that the drill did bounce once or twice, I assumed I didn't hit the right area.
    2. I'm wrong, and occidentally manually destroyed the drills without realizing.

I'll let you decide which is right.
    Number 2 definitely. I know that all weapons just bounce off it. So damn you got lucky.

Soooooooooo! I beat Megaman V aswell.

Mega Man 5_013.png

More well-balanced than MMIV, even though some robot masters were ridiculously easy. And the last boss was the dullest fight ever in the history of games I've played recently. Perhaps I wasn't supposed to use the mega buster though, but nothing else seemed to do much damage. :/ Still don't get the damn E-tank frenzy.

Mega Man 5_006.png

^ Me on the second last level (Robot Masters revisited). Geez, bub, think I'll be able to beat them????? Missed a secret again though. >___<
    Get all letters and you get Beat, Mega Man bird sidekick that auto-target and attack visible enemies. Last boss is a piece of cake with Beat!

Mega Man V is my favorite of the NES Mega Man games. It's terribly easy and you get extra lives all the freckin' time but it's colorful, has lovely music and awesome bosses. I love the first boss in Wily's castle. Such a cool mechanism with the platforms you have to climb! ^__^

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I might play some Castlevania later today since that seems the game to play. It's been a while anyway. I probably shouldn't play it now though, don't need to be cussing in the middle of lecture.
    Do it and join in on the swearing!

Thanks

It's amazing how these games has only 100kb and are more memorable than the new ones which are countless gb's larger

Thanks

Yeah, it shows who the real artists are, that they could have created such great works of level design, play mechanics, and even sound, with such limited technology.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'll try to attempt Solstice, Quest for the Staff, this weekend. I'll be recording most likely

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

All robot masters do have their purpose but yeah they left that out from the games. The ones in Mega Man 5 are all created by Dr. Wily so of course they are just "tools of evil".

Did you know that Top Man is a space-exploration robot or that Shadow Man is actually an alien re-purposed by Wily?
    That... IS AWESOME! It makes no sense though. Why isn't Top Man made specifically for evil, hmm? ALIEN NINJAS!?

Number 2 definitely. I know that all weapons just bounce off it. So damn you got lucky.
    I wish that I kept Save states now... I don't wanna play it all again to see if you're right.

Get all letters and you get Beat, Mega Man bird sidekick that auto-target and attack visible enemies. Last boss is a piece of cake with Beat!

Mega Man V is my favorite of the NES Mega Man games. It's terribly easy and you get extra lives all the freckin' time but it's colorful, has lovely music and awesome bosses. I love the first boss in Wily's castle. Such a cool mechanism with the platforms you have to climb! ^__^
    Well, that explains the dumb last boss fight. It was almost equally dumb in MMVI though.

Mega Man 6_007.png

Which I've beaten. Got BEAT this time too! Totally didn't find any use for him whatsoever!!!!

Yeah, I love those bosses too. ^___^ Jump, pow, pow!

Soooooooo, I'm playing Adventure of Lolo 3. It's great! And really quite hard/annoying too! I think I'll struggle lots to beat this shit without using a guide. HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT THE SERPENTS RESPAWN AT ANOTHER SQUARE IF I PUT SILLY BLOCKS IN THEIR PLACE AFTER KILLING THEM!?!?!?!

Oh, and I think I'm stuck too.

Adventures of Lolo 3_008.png

The fuck? How do I get the bottom right one?

Edit: Wait, do them fucking annoying stone geezers walk by hearts????
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 1st-February-2013 at 13:45.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

That... IS AWESOME! It makes no sense though. Why isn't Top Man made specifically for evil, hmm? ALIEN NINJAS!?
    Well going by the story Wily is a changed man and so he and Light are working on a peace-keeping robot called Gamma (which is the final boss). All the robot masters (apart from Shadow Man I guess) in Mega Man 3 are created by Dr. Wily and/or Dr. Light. Several of them for the purpose of gathering resource to build Gamma.

But of course Wily is still evil and so he modifies the robots for combat and voila! We have a new Mega Man game!

Well, that explains the dumb last boss fight. It was almost equally dumb in MMVI though.

Mega Man 6_007.png

Which I've beaten. Got BEAT this time too! Totally didn't find any use for him whatsoever!!!!

Yeah, I love those bosses too. ^___^ Jump, pow, pow!
    Seeing as you are finished with the NES Mega Man games I'd suggest you play the Game Boy ones. All of them apart from Mega Man V re-use most of the robot masters from Mega Man 1-5. Diffcult games but they are really good and there's plenty of new content to warrant a play-through.

Soooooooo, I'm playing Adventure of Lolo 3. It's great! And really quite hard/annoying too! I think I'll struggle lots to beat this shit without using a guide. HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT THE SERPENTS RESPAWN AT ANOTHER SQUARE IF I PUT SILLY BLOCKS IN THEIR PLACE AFTER KILLING THEM!?!?!?!

Oh, and I think I'm stuck too.

Adventures of Lolo 3_008.png

The fuck? How do I get the bottom right one?

Edit: Wait, do them fucking annoying stone geezers walk by hearts????
    Heh I think that's something you learn from the manual but I don't remember. Actually it's not just "Snakey" that will respawn at another place, all enemies that you can "eggify" will do that. That's what you need to do on the stage you are stuck on. It doesn't work on all stages though.

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Adventures_of_Lolo/Enemies

Read up and learn about the enemies!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Spoiler warning:

Super C completed. I don't even want to know how many game overs and deaths I got -- I lost count somewhere between my second and third beer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

D-D-D-D-DOUBLE POST

Spoiler warning:

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse completed.

Not sure which one I'm going to attempt next. I should probably actually get around to Solstice sometime, but I don't think I have enough beer at the moment to cover that game.

Thanks
    EP Points

Who did you pick as the secondary character, Drageuth? Been a while since I played Castlevania 3 but I tend to pick Alucard as his flying ability is damn useful! Especially on the final boss.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Who did you pick as the secondary character, Drageuth? Been a while since I played Castlevania 3 but I tend to pick Alucard as his flying ability is damn useful! Especially on the final boss.
    Syfa. I'm still not entirely sure why -- I hardly even used her. I just hate ascending the Clock Tower to get Grant, and I never encountered Alucard on the path that I went. I tend to just brute force my way through the game using Belmont and hope I manage to reach the bosses with enough health and the right weapons to defeat them.

Dracula isn't so bad as long as you have the axe -- I basically just went apeshit attacking with the whip for his first form, only getting hit once by the pillar of fire he launches up that I still haven't figured out how to dodge properly. From then on, just stand back from th hovering brain thing and slowly attack with whip attacks -- as long as you're not right under it or pinned in a corner you're safe. After that, as long as you stand in one of the corners, you can quite easily dodge his projectiles and throw axes at his head until he dies.

I had more trouble with the Grim Reaper than I did with Dracula. I really should rethink my strategies.

Thanks
    EP Points

Alucard makes the game too easy. Although I don't like Grant so there's that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Syfa sucks, Alucard is too powerful and Grant is... Grant.

How can you just skip the clock tower, Drageuth? :O One of the best levels in the game in my opinion. I always thought that you having to both climb up and down the tower was a stroke of genius.

In fact, the whole "path of destiny" thingy is pretty damn great idea. More games should have branching paths. As a kid it was so exciting to find a new path with a completely new boss. Reaching Doppelganger after like a trillion playthroughs was awesome