View Poll Results: Are you like me?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'm not a cheapskate; I prefer the term "financially economic".

13 43.33%
  • No. I always give my money to the people who provide the service

8 26.67%
  • No comment. Those anti-piracy creeps will never catch me. Not that I do piracy, of course...

9 30.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys still buy anything?

Thanks

I pirate the really expensive games and Disney movies that are 30 years old but still full price for a rerelease

Thanks

I only pay for hardware basically, as a kid I used to buy video games, wait for shows/movies to come out here in portugal, buy comic books and I would also buy music albums but now I realize most of this shit is WAY too expensive for what it is plus I can get it for free. I'd rather use my money to pay the bills and put food on my table, I make about 700€ a month and it's not that much although I do have almost 2.000€ in my bank, I've been saving my money as much as I can because portugal is in a pretty serious economic crysis right now, cant afford to spend money on things you can get for free (I would never rob or steal anything, I would however download things that people want to share online)

PS: Piracy isn't even really a crime in portugal, the person who introduced me to piracy in like 2001/2002 was actually a police agent and a pretty high ranking one, so I can admit to pirating things pretty freely over here and not get fucked over by admitting it.
    Last edited by YVHV; 30th-March-2013 at 12:31. Reason: PS

Thanks

I only download old emulation for older games older then the ps2 era. Other then that I buy everything. If I wanted to watch a movie on dvd I would go and see if my local library has it so I can just watch it for the night or whatever then return it

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks

I buy the majority of my things. The only games I pirate are really old ones that would be too much of a hassle to get (I'd be getting it used if I did buy it, so the companies behind them still wouldn't be making any money). I pirate music and movies pretty commonly, but I always buy the ones I like when I get the chance.

Thanks

I prefer not to pirate anything, but no skin off my back if someone wants to risk a run in with the MAFIAA over some ridiculously crappy movies or music. I'll admit that I recently borrowed a game from the internet, but in playing it I can tell it has crap controls and not worth $40, also the legit version installs some corporate scumware. No thanks. I deleted it.

Thanks

I admit to pirating a ton of stuff. The thing is, I really don't have any excuse. Its just I feel pirating is so convenient. Here is the way I look at it: I feel like if I gotta download it, then I may as well just pirate it. Why? Because torrents/filesharing is the most convenient way for me to download something. Also I got a paid VPN I use for torrents so the ISPs will never catch me.

I'll use a recent example of a PC game, but this PC game is free to play so its not exactly "Pirating". I tried to download and install a game called Path of Exile, and their installer was giving me problems. Instead of trying to troubleshoot their crap beta installer, I downloaded a recent patch via filesharing, moved the files over, and it had a few hundred mbs left to download to update, bam it worked. This is just one example, but issues like this come up occasionally with games installers not working properly or malfunctioning in some way, but filesharing always works for me as long as its properly seeded.

If its an EA game, and I want to play it then I'm definitely pirating it. That is the one company that I will always pirate and never buy games from anymore.

The only legitimate place I've downloaded games from was GOG, because they are DRM free. I did purchase Witcher 2, was actually the last PC game I bought. I also like CDprojekt red, and think they are a great company. If they make something I like, then I'll buy it. I hate DRMs, period, so games that have non-intrusive DRMs, then its more likely I'll buy them. The way I see it is if their DRM sucks, like Steam/Origin, and I have to crack the game because I hate the DRM, then I may as well just pirate it. Another reason I like GOG, because I never have any problems downloading from them. Meaning I click download and it simply works and doesn't give me any BS.
    Last edited by gamerdude21; 11th-April-2013 at 04:52.

Thanks
    EP Points

rarely do i buy new games and with this next generation of consoles coming out before long...it might stop entirely for me as the next set of consoles is looking more and more bs to me (looking at you, possibly "always-online-drm" durango/xbox720)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Back in the 5th and 6th gaming generations, i usually downloaded iso's and played burned copys of games because i was at a age where i couldn't get a job to buy my games. I buy and collect all gaming stuff from all generations now from hardware to software since im able to bring in a income. Generally now i do buy my software and hardware but if i want to try a game out before buying i'll dl it first (Try before you buy).
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 15th-April-2013 at 18:59.

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Thanks
    EP Points

I normally buy games when it goes on sale, I very rarely Pirate anything new (The last Game I Pirated that was new was Giana Sisters, and DLC for Cities in Motion, I did buy the main game with most DLC at the Shop on CD), als Very lucky on SteamGifts where I got 40+ games free already. Music I normally listen to online Radios, except a few CD's. Movies, normally watch them when They get released on Boxoffice (boxoffice is our Satellite's Digital Distributed Movie borrowing service) For TV I normally watch it on the Telly, except for a few shows that isn't broadcast here, that I watch online.

Thanks

Default Only when I can...

I will buy a game or movie or music when I have the money to spare (which is not often). And that is the reason I use emulators, I can find them free (even for my Android device) and I can find the roms free as well. I have owned the current generation consoles but I can not afford to replace them. When I do own an actual console I will gladly go out and purchase games for it. But being on severely limited income it is difficult.

Thanks
    EP Points

if i like the game and i support the company (like i did for persona 3 portable) i will buy it, however if i like the game but dont like the company, i just pirate it. though, i really think i should start getting stuff from japan thats never released in the us like tales of vesperia on the ps3, all the good jrpg that never made it to the west ect. thats the other reason i pirate. oh and there is another reason, if the game is limited and there are only a few copies and it is beyond expensive, i will just dl it.

Thanks

I buy everything from games to music. The only games I download are old games that I can't possibly buy from anywhere including Virtual Consoles. If a great game has caught my attention, but it may be a little expensive, I'll be likely to buy it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I buy playstation/ xbox 360 games only and i occasionally rent out a dvd if i got company.

Thanks

With music, I try before I buy. If I do like it and can afford to, I will eventually buy it. Though what I have been into in the past few years is underground 90's bands that no one has ever heard of and their stuff is all long out of print and usually at an unfair price. But I do make the effort with it. I don't pay for games, as I play old console and pc games. I hate paying for futile things like taxis, which are outrageously expensive where I live- if I can, I will walk for over an hour to save $30. and hair cuts- I'll cut my own Damn hair you bastards and I'll do a better job at it too.

Thanks

If they deserve my money, yes, I will pay for it.

If I feel developers, companies, etc have been lazy or overpricing their product, well I think we all know which option comes with that policy

I'm the bastard that created The Hang Out many years ago
    I like to remind people to feed my ego