Thread: Next gen 3D, virtual reality, and motion sensing gaming

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Next gen 3D, virtual reality, and motion sensing gaming

I apologize ahead of time for the lengthy post. I might of gotten a little carried away

Now I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that maybe 70% of gamers here could probably care less or just really don't get excited about motion sensing games. I'm mean sure a lot of us probably own a Wii (Frisbee golf is the main reason mine gets played as often as it does nowadays), had a Kinect bundled with our Xbox 360 when we bought it, or just wanted to play Killlzone 3 or "Wii Sports HD" on our PS3.

But I'd like to think by now even thought there isn't a huge demand for it that a majority of gamers are used to it being incorporated into mainstream gaming and see some form of practicality to the concept at this point even if that practicality only extends to FPS games or smaller "mini games" so to speak. Unlike when the technology first came out and it seemed like a gaming fad that would probably pass with time.

Me personally I can't say that I always enjoyed the initial idea of having to play games with motion controls when I first got my Wii. But when the game is one I kind of enjoy playing I really stop giving a crap and just play the damn game because it's fun. I've never played a Kinect game to be honest and the only game I played or the Move was that sports game so I can't really give opinions on the motion gameplay on those consoles.

So I was thinking what if you couple the motion sensing gaming technology with the new head mounted display products coming out. For example the Sony HMZ-T2 3D viewer already on the market, the Oculus Rift VR gaming headset of which dev kits are currently being sold and given out to potential developers, or the other non video game based head-mounted displays such as Google's Project Glass creating buzz. Combine these two technologies and maybe throw in WHDI tech (Wireless Home Digital Interface) like the Asus Wavi is capable of (only smaller and more affordable) and it actually seems it could be possible in the not too distant future not only for quality next gen virtual reality gaming to be possible, but maybe somewhat affordable for the average gamer and actually appealing too.

Even though all the tech required to pull VR gaming off for right now would cost an arm, a leg, probably a second mortgage on your house and would be bulky as hell (cool example here) there is a possibility with the ever evolving gaming industry for this to be marketed to the average next gen gamer. But probably only if enough demand warrants a closer look at making the tech affordable, profitable, smaller and expanding it's use to beyond just FPS. I for one think RPGs such as Elder Scrolls Skrym would be a blast to play from this perspective even if I had to play with just a controller and VR headset. And if they could develop newer tech that could possibly implement controls like the Kinect but more advanced we would have a true VR/motion controlled gaming experience that would blow minds.

So would any of you as gamers see yourself getting into something like this or does it just seem like too much? Maybe just way too soon to even consider? Or do you think the current 3D gaming technologies such as the 3DS handheld and the various 3D console tech (motion sensing or not) that project 3D images is the better and more appealing way to go for the future of 3D/VR gaiming?
    Last edited by _User_; 22nd-November-2012 at 02:46.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to _Gambit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

hmmm closer and closer we get to virtual reality eh? personally i wouldn't mind such gaming/technology once enough risks are worked out of the systems but who know how long it'll be till motion sensing tech gets that far.

fighting games with virtual reality would be awesome, you could have games like that combat simulator at the start of star ocean: till the end of time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I really wonder how people are going to react to violent games in virtual reality. FPS's may not be allowed to be sold, but who knows, the army would like them I bet.
    STOP THE MADDENESS, STOP BUYING SPORTS GAMES!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    the army would like them I bet.
    I watched this video the other day (bout a year old so old news by now) where the S.A.S. commander they had test their rig mentioned that the military already uses virtual reality training simulators of this sort.

Damn military always get the coolest toys

Thanks
    EP Points

not surprising as far as the military is concerned, some of they're weapons and other tech is based on things from video games now.

i'd be more surprised if the militaries of the world didn't use such a obvious and advantageous source of tech ideas. (wonder how long till halo type armors come into play or exo-suit armor like samus's from metroid)

Thanks

Give me the Star Trek holodeck! I would live in it!
    Practice does not make perfect, it makes permanent.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Itd be cool if the wars of the future were played using video games like in Enders Game. Or more they were actual video games such as fighters or real time strategies, but I guess South Korea and Japan would rule the world then.
    STOP THE MADDENESS, STOP BUYING SPORTS GAMES!

Thanks
    EP Points

I think that the Virtual Boy was supposed to be the first console to utilize virtual reality, what with that goggly look and 3D. But then, it bombed. I don't think the world is ready for VR gaming anyway. To play an FPS is like to train soldiers. And the last thing we need is massive child soldier training.

Thanks
    EP Points

i had a virtual boy once (lost to time now but i still have the games), my main complaint would be how using it for any period of time would make your neck/head hurt as you'd typically have to sit in a weird or otherwise uncomfortable position to play.

note: laying flat on your stomach while looking upwards to use a virtual boy can lead to neck pains (that should've been in the manual for it )

Thanks
    EP Points

wow that youtube clip of the virtual reality battlefield 3 game was amazing, i want one.