Thread: A broadband pipe project for New Zealand: Courtesy of Dr. Kim DotCom???

Thanks

Exclamation A broadband pipe project for New Zealand: Courtesy of Dr. Kim DotCom???

Sounds weird, if not impossible, right?... Well, it might not. It seems Dr. Kim is back and is trying to turn New Zealand into a data center for his Me.Ga project strategy. The problem is if the US authorities [a.k.a. pro-Hollywod lobbyist congress members] will allow him to connect a Broadband pipe to US sovereign soil...
    Read the full story (and related links) here:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...nd-pipe-to-us/

Thanks
    EP Points

Why does the cable need to be connected to California? Why not China or Japan?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

I imagine there already is a network of short pipes connecting Australia to Asia, given the string of islands running to there.
    As far as I know (no research or facts involved) there's just a huge data pipe running through the Atlantic, connecting the world together. So if someone from New Zealand wants to download something from a US server, their file has to travel around the world. If that's true, a Pacific crossing could easily benefit half the world.

Although the question of why California is still valid. They could easily pipe it through Tijuana if they just want on the map I'm sure land lines to everywhere else would follow.

Edit: Found some info on the main data pipes that's a few years old, but likely still correct:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/167143/article.html
    Last edited by Ragnar; 6th-November-2012 at 00:12.
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

That's not his only issue he's going to have with US authorities; He also plans on financing this operation using the money he gets from suing the US government. Best of luck with that!

Thanks

Does he expect to get a lot of profit from these pipes?

this can cost billions in my mind, and i don't think he'll get that much from suing the U.S. Government to even get close to funding it

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

It's not billions, the project cost is supposed to be 400 million. There's no chance he'll even secure a fraction of that from the US Government any time soon, I'm sure they can keep such a case tied up in court for years. He would've just said that he'd do that because he's a massive fucking troll

At any rate, he doesn't even need the 400 million. This seems to be a preexisting project he's ingratiating himself onto, so he can claim all the good credit if/when the project goes ahead.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Fibre
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks

ether way some faster internet here in nz would be nice.

If i was remotely usefull (how ever unlikey that maybe) feel free to click the thanks button or share some rep.