Thread: Whats needed to play burned Wii games?

Thanks

Default Whats needed to play burned Wii games?

I have installed the Homebrew channel to my Wii. I couldn't get the BootMii to work. I also have version 4.3U, I'm just having trouble finding the right info on what else you need to play the burned games. I know how to burn them. I just need to know what else beside BootMii and Homebrew is needed. Thanks!

Thanks

You should be able to use burned Wii games using certain Homebrew Channel apps (e.g. NeoGamma, SoftChip) but a custom iOS may be required.

Thanks
    EP Points

Check out wiihacks.com

Informative site with tutorials.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Polizzi For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

People forgot to mention that newer Wii hardware can't read DVD-R or DVD+R media and the best way to run backups is via an external USB HDD

The first few releases of the Wii can read DVD-R and DVD+R media but it is still best to run from HDD as the Wii much like every other console when they can read DVD-R and DVD+R media read those at apx half the speed of Pressed DVD media so some games will have lag

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Zorlon the Usb seemed to be my only workable option the Wii I have is fairly new, and I keep trying burned games in it, and never had success. I place the Iso on my Usb Hdd and it worked. Thanks also to everone else who posted.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

No problem, out of interest what loader did you go with?

Also what HDD setup did you go for?

My setup is admittedly a lil old now seen as they updated a few things, but

I use USBLoaderGX
    A 2TB HDD with 2xWBFS partitions and a FAT partition for emulated system roms (I have 500 games per WBFS partition and every english rom for most the console emulated systems)
    Basicly the old WBFS format can only keep 500 games per partition (not sure if thats exclusive to that format or not, the 500 game limit) but the Wii will see both partitions as one anyway so it's not an issue

What I want to do though is reformat parts of the drive so I have 1x FAT partition 2xWBFS partitions and another 1x FAT partition, the first partition would be for GameCube games at the moment because I have one of the first released Wii systems (it was from the first restock after the release of the Wii) I play GC games from the drive using a disc loader for GC side software.

There is much more you can do with a USB HDD nowerdays than just play Wii games, I don't know if Wii ware can or not yet, I presume not though.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 5th-November-2012 at 11:36.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

500 game limit? didn't know that many games existed. O_o

I didn't learn about multiple partitions for usb hdd until after my mine crashed. Gotta return it before it's too late. Have you heard about WODE for the wii? http://www.wodejukebox.com/

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    No problem, out of interest what loader did you go with?

Also what HDD setup did you go for?

My setup is admittedly a lil old now seen as they updated a few things, but

I use USBLoaderGX
    A 2TB HDD with 2xWBFS partitions and a FAT partition for emulated system roms (I have 500 games per WBFS partition and every english rom for most the console emulated systems)
    Basicly the old WBFS format can only keep 500 games per partition (not sure if thats exclusive to that format or not, the 500 game limit) but the Wii will see both partitions as one anyway so it's not an issue

What I want to do though is reformat parts of the drive so I have 1x FAT partition 2xWBFS partitions and another 1x FAT partition, the first partition would be for GameCube games at the moment because I have one of the first released Wii systems (it was from the first restock after the release of the Wii) I play GC games from the drive using a disc loader for GC side software.

There is much more you can do with a USB HDD nowerdays than just play Wii games, I don't know if Wii ware can or not yet, I presume not though.
    For that last part about the Wiiware games you need the WAD Manager for that and IOS 236 Installed and you can install the games from flashdrives or SD cards. Btw since im on this topic ive downloaded a wii game and gamecube game before and i was unable to extract the contents saying it was damaged so what do i do about that?

I already know i need the GCM file (for gamecube) converted to ISO i can figure that one out so what do i do.
    Layin down enjoying the fun unleashing the power of the sun and capturing them all until I'm done.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GCM format is ISO format no converting needed just rename the sucker

For the damaged archive problem it's just that the download has failed at some point the only thing you can do is redownload it, I recomend a download manager though if this is a common issue for you, I use something called Free Download Manager from www.freedownloadmanager.org

I use my SD for WiiWare and I am personly ware of WAD installers but I was a lil out of date to if they had hacked a way to not need a Wad manager... I guess not

WODE I have heard of but it is not needed nowerdays as you can run GC software from a FAT formatted HDD (It must be the first partition to work though) via the softmod route and I have over 1000 engish Wii games on a single HDD so yeah there are over 500 games out and I'm not including multi releases or regional variations of each game either.

Personly I can run directly from my Wii drive and have a GC disc loader but only because I'm lucky enough to have an early release of the Wii, but I will be looking into buying yet another HDD at some point and or reformatting my current HDD that I use, I may do both at the moment my kid bro has my external HDD hooked up to his Wii... need to get that back
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-November-2012 at 16:27.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]