Thread: (LITERALLY have tried everything) ePSXe fails to load disc 2 after prompt

Thanks

Default (LITERALLY have tried everything) ePSXe fails to load disc 2 after prompt

Yes, I am well aware this is question has been asked hundreds of times on this forum. I am one of the many victims of a faulty bug in epsxe 1.7

so here's the deal. I get the prompt to switch to disc 2 on Chrono Cross, after this, I...

press ESC

go to change disc under file

select ISO... Now here's the problem, I have mounted Chrono Cross disc 2.bin onto a virtual drive in Daemon Tools Lite. However, whenever I select anything that would possibly be part of the mounted image, nothing happens.

Also when I click "Open" on the mounted image (this is on the DTL program), I get these:

SLUS with a bunch of numbers
    SYSTEM.CNF

I can't ever find anything mounted as an ISO in my ISO select screen, so I tried to "Make disc Image" ( I clicked the little tab on DTL) and made the mounted image become a .mdx file. I thought this would work, but when I tried to switch discs, nothing happened, just a black screen.

When I click "open" on the .mdx file (in the DTL Program), I get:
    CHRONO CROSS.......................................... and under file type i get .mdx

So then I tried to "CDROM" instead of "ISO" under the change disc option under the file tab in epsxe, but that didn't work either. I just got a black screen again. (I did that out of desperation, I knew that wasn't going to work)

I looked at "My Computer" and it shows that is a CC disc 2 iso in the E drive.

I've looked at all the Youtube guides and tutorials and everything. I even tried that "use an older version of epsxe and go to disc 2 and switch it" trick, which didn't work either.

I tried to download Alcohol 52% but my virus detection always classifies it as Malware so I don't use that either.
    _____

My Specs:

video: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.77
    audio: ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0
    cdrom: WNT/W2K

I need to be overlooking something, do I need to configure something? Do I need to download another cdrom plugin?

if there is any other information I need to provide, or if there was anything I wasn't clear enough on, let me know.

Not only would this help A LOT, but this will help me when I need to switch discs in other games too.

Thanks
    EP Points

Um, well. From what I can get from your post it sounds like you're playing Disc 1 from a mounted image, and then selecting a non-mounted ISO file from the Change Disc prompt, right? This doesn't work as its mixing mounted images with non-mounted images, which never seems to work out right.

What you need to do is load Disc 1 as an ISO (Through Run ISO, not Run CD CD) rather than having it mounted and loading it that way (if you have a bin/cue combo, select the cue, otherwise select whatever image file you have available). Then, when it gets to the change disc bit, hit ESC, and use Run ISO to load the second discs bin/cue file. This should work fine.

Also for future reference, in games that let you save just before telling you to switch discs (the final fantasy series comes to mind, I forget if Chrono Cross is like this) you can simply save, exit the emulator and restart it having loaded the second discs image through Run ISO.

Another user was having a similar issue with Final Fantasy 8, and the issue is discussed more in depth in his thread; http://www.epforums.org/showthread.p...8-Disc-2-error
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I suppose that you tried with a external cdrom plugin like sapu cdrom or peops cdrom, specially since the epsxe cdrom plugin can't change discs in epsxe v170.

So mount the iso in a virtual drive, select the virtual drive in any external cdrom plugin and try to change the cds that way.

Thanks

I tried exactly what you suggested, sadly, it did not work.

should i just unmount everything and try again?

Quote Originally Posted by gladiator (psx datacenter) View Post
    I suppose that you tried with a external cdrom plugin like sapu cdrom or peops cdrom, specially since the epsxe cdrom plugin can't change discs in epsxe v170.

So mount the iso in a virtual drive, select the virtual drive in any external cdrom plugin and try to change the cds that way.
    I just installed PEOps1.4 and tried it, but what do I do next? do I need to configure it somehow? ePSXe 1.7 doesn't seem to recognize disc drive E:

also changing disc under iso under the disc 2 .cue file isn't working either
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 1st-November-2012 at 21:17. Reason: don't double psot!

Thanks
    EP Points

Does the game not ask you to save at the end of disc 1? Just save quit the program then startup with disc 2 and then load your game. Or am I missing something here?

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by peo View Post
    I tried exactly what you suggested, sadly, it did not work.

should i just unmount everything and try again?

I just installed PEOps1.4 and tried it, but what do I do next? do I need to configure it somehow? ePSXe 1.7 doesn't seem to recognize disc drive E:

also changing disc under iso under the disc 2 .cue file isn't working either
    You need to start with run ISO on the first disc then change disc images, you can't start with run CD-Rom then change to ISO directly or vice versa

If you still can't get the thing working switch the ePSXe 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 (just rename the ePSXe.exe to something else, like ePSXe1.7.0.exe then you can have both versions in the same folder and use the same plugins)

1.5.2 and 1.6.0 both work with disc changing via run ISO , it was broken in ePSXe 1.7.0 thats why you either need to use pete's CD plugin or use a virtual CD-Rom drive like Daemon tools lite (make sure you install those SPDT drivers with it)

Quote Originally Posted by Zaladane View Post
    Does the game not ask you to save at the end of disc 1? Just save quit the program then startup with disc 2 and then load your game. Or am I missing something here?
    It may do and is worth trying, it must be a memcard save though not any save state for it to work if the game does have a disc 2 save at the end of disc 1, I honestly don't remember myself.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 2nd-November-2012 at 00:01.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

when playing games that require a disc change downgrade to version 1.6.0. This is because 1.7.0 doesnt support disc changing
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by negles View Post
    when playing games that require a disc change downgrade to version 1.6.0. This is because 1.7.0 doesnt support disc changing
    Wrong....

1.7.0 supports disc changing using Run CD-Rom along with Daemon tools lite (Daemon Tools is a CD/DVD/BD-Rom emulator) or via pete's CD plugin (peops cdrom) using Run ISO

sapu cdrom also works
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-November-2012 at 11:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

My fault. I wasnt aware of pete's CD plugin. But that isn't part of ePSXe though. Its a separate software right?
    "Life is what you make of it. Don't make excuses. Make it happen."
    This my World.
    --- Chamillionaire

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

it's a plugin the same as graphics plugins and sound plugins and other plugins, most are not included with ePSXe officially the same as the bios is not included directly
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-November-2012 at 11:14.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks

This is what works for me:

the cd rom pluggin I am using is epsxe CDR/W2K core 1.7.0

Click on the config button underneath where you select you cd pluggin and change the drive letter to F
    this will tell epsxe to use your virtual drive as the main disk drive
    mount disc 1 in your virtual drive. When you run the game make sure you run CD ROM and not ISO

When you need to change discs press escape. Go to your virtual drive, I use Alcohol52% for this, unmount disc 1 then mount disk 2. Then click change disks on epsxe 1.7.0. Click resume

This should work but here are two more points to be aware of:

Your virtual drive's letter needs to be F to match the designation in epsxe. I am not familiar with deamon tools but with alcohol52% it was already set to F and I didn't need to change it

.bin files can be run in epsxe as ISO's however in order to mount them you should change the file extension to .iso or use the cue files linked to in Zorlon's post below. Put the .cue file in the same folder as the .bin file

Hope this helps

p.s. thanks Zorlon, I did not know that. My bad!
    Last edited by mushroomdave; 3rd-November-2012 at 18:20. Reason: removed misinformation

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mushroomdave View Post
    .bin files can be run in epsxe as ISO's however in order to mount them you must have a .cue file. If your bin file does not have a matching cue file google Lior's Cue Maker 2.4 and download it
    This is not advisable specially if a game uses CDDA tracks then using a cue maker will result in no CDDA tracks available you might aswell just rename the BIN to ISO (Works with img ones aswell), they will both give you the same result and it's even more simple than getting a cue maker

We do on the other hand have all the missing cue files here anyway http://www.emuparadise.me/PSX/cues%20and%20sbis.zip
    Last edited by Zorlon; 3rd-November-2012 at 14:11.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]