Thread: What's everyone's opinion on this build (Upgrading)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 166 Posts
    EP Points

Default What's everyone's opinion on this build (Upgrading)

Recently my pc has been having some issues (Locking Up, Overheating North and South bridge issues) but i have had this mobo for almost 5 years now (Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe). And ive decided on upgrading My mobo and ram on Wednesday. I like to get a good mobo just in case i want to use SLI/Crossfire or any other good option in the future. Ill be upgrading my video card (Maybe getting 2 for SLI'ing it), Blu-Ray Writer. Internal SD card reader (That supports, SD SDHC MiniSD, Pro, Pro Duo. etc.) on Boxing day (Canada's annual huge sale at most stores. it takes place on December 26th). I was going to get a Wii U but since i use my PC more than any other console atm ill be upgrading my pc and the Wii U only has 1 game im interested about at launch also if there were no more deluxe sets (Slim to none on getting one) i wouldn't be buying it sorry nintendo. should've produced more deluxe sets thats another loss on a sale.

Previous Build:
    Case: Antec Lanboy Air (Blue)
    Motherboard: Asus M3N-HT Deluxe/Mempipe
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE (6 Cores @ 3.2ghz) (Using Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound to keep it cool as well)
    Ram: Corsair XMS2 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800mhz
    Video Card: Asus Nvidia geforce GTX 460
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB hard Drive
    PSU: Corsair TX-850. 850 Watt
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H70 Liquid Cooling
    Optical Drive: LG DVD-R/RW HL-ST-DL drive
    Capture Card: Avermedia PCI-E x1 (CO27)

Here's my new build after getting new motherboard and ram on wednesday.
    *Update* Current Build
    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE (6 Cores @ 3.2ghz) (Using Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound to keep it cool as well)
    Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMMs
    Video Card: Asus Nvidia geforce GTX 460
    Optical Drive: LG DVD-R/RW HL-ST-DL drive

Here's my new build after getting everything else on boxing day.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
    CPU:AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE (6 Cores @ 3.2ghz) (Using Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound to keep it cool as well)
    Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMMs
    Video Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 (GTX680-DC2T-2GD5) 2GB GDDR5
    Solid State Drive: Corsair Force Series 3 GT 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Optical Drives: LG DVD-R/RW HL-ST-DL drive, LG BH14NS40 14x Blu-ray Writer
    Internal Card Reader: SilverStone Premium 3.5" front bay card reader with SDXC and USB 3.0 Support (FP37)
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 8th-November-2012 at 02:32.

I notice my uploads are taken down, i am the the process of reuploading
    If you like any of my uploads, be sure to hit the "Thanks" button
    Every month i try to add new games. For my list of uploads, check out here
    Need your console modded?, check out my store here

Thanks
    EP Points

Jesus, what are you using that rig for, protein folding algorithms? 32gb of RAM is well beyond overkill, and you shouldn't necessarily "need" the second SLI'd video card considering the six core processor (assuming whatever you're running supports them all).
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    Jesus, what are you using that rig for, protein folding algorithms? 32gb of RAM is well beyond overkill, and you shouldn't necessarily "need" the second SLI'd video card considering the six core processor (assuming whatever you're running supports them all).
    LOL @ protein folding algorithms? (Made my day thank you). Sli is only an idea (Possibility) which i probably wont be ending up doing. As for the ram id like to know that my pc is fully capable of running everything and anything at any given time such as streaming my gameplay also running other things as well) future power housing games and streaming at the same time as well as doing other things as well at the same time. for the price im going to get the ram for is not that bad.

Im gonna take your advice to a certain extent. i think ill get 16gb of ram (2X8) with low latency and might get a ssd. and later down the road if i think ill need more memory ill get the 32gb
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 28th-October-2012 at 10:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

MaslowK is right, you don't need 32GB of RAM, its useless. Go for 8GB, its more than enough. Since you mentioned that you want to do other things at the same time, 6-cores is a good choice. But 6-cores for gaming is not necessary because most games require less than 4-cores. But 6-cores is still important for multithreading though. I recommend you to change your PSU because based on your rigs, 600 of Watt is more than enough. Beside, it will save you more money. Furthermore, for your first rig, I think you should substitute "Asus Nvidia geforce GTX 460" for "SAPPHIRE HD 7850". In my honest opinion, HD 7850 is the best gpu of 2012 considering it price and performance. It very cheap and yet it twice the power of GTX 460. I would also go for HD 7850 for my custom pc late this year and I won't regret it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Which model Phenom ii x6? You say 3.2ghz but where did it start?

I have the 1045 which startd at 2.7ghz and am using the thermal take water 2.0 pro which is the equivalent to your corsair cooler. Right now I have it OC'd to 3.2ghz without issue. I am sure I could go higher.

EDIT: also eyefinity. Get eyefinity or GTFO.
    Last edited by Jazzmarazz; 28th-October-2012 at 16:17.

Thanks
    EP Points

Its the 1090T Black Edition. Never OC'd it
    Eyefinity LOL. That's nuts multi-display technology?. Im not sure if i want to spend 2000$ in monitors hahah awesome idea though even if i wanted to my desk is not big enough
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 28th-October-2012 at 17:51.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Nicholson View Post
    Its the 1090T Black Edition. Never OC'd it
    Eyefinity LOL. That's nuts multi-display technology?. Im not sure if i want to spend 2000$ in monitors hahah
    Thats your opinion. I just don't see why you would want the bottle neck to be at your interaction with the PC.
    Three monitors is the current mid-range setup but yes, other discrete video cards do support 6+.
    I have three and couldn't be happier. I didn't spend $2000 on my whole setup. As a matter of fact, I put less than 600 into my build which is hardly any different than yours. I only have 8GBs RAM right now, but don't see why I would need any more with my current purposes. I am going to be using this video card for several years and when I feel like it needs an upgrade, I can use crossfire. I do suggest you buy an SSD, if only for the OS and progs. It makes a world of difference.

right click > view image (other wise you can't see the whole thing, not that you can read any of the tiny text anyhow...)

braggin.jpg

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Thats your opinion. I just don't see why you would want the bottle neck to be at your interaction with the PC.
    Three monitors is the current mid-range setup but yes, other discrete video cards do support 6+.
    I have three and couldn't be happier. I didn't spend $2000 on my whole setup. As a matter of fact, I put less than 600 into my build which is hardly any different than yours. I only have 8GBs RAM right now, but don't see why I would need any more with my current purposes. I am going to be using this video card for several years and when I feel like it needs an upgrade, I can use crossfire. I do suggest you buy an SSD, if only for the OS and progs. It makes a world of difference.

right click > view image (other wise you can't see the whole thing, not that you can read any of the tiny text anyhow...)

braggin.jpg
    Amazing rig you got. i've had some issues with radeon's back in the day (when radeon was ati) and i was having issues all the time (certain games were more compatible, BSOD's due to drivers etc.) but when i switched to Nvidia ive barely had any problems since.

*Edit* Maybe radeon has changed since then but it still didnt give a good first impression .
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 28th-October-2012 at 18:32.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can't offer a comparison between ATi and nVidia because I simply buy whats on sale. I paid 119 for my card instead of 150. I an however thoroughly impressed.

Back to your CPU: I wanted the 1090T originally because it has an unlocked multiplier for Overclocking. When I was in the market though, people were asking well over $200 for one, so I bought the 1045 instead. The 1045 can easily be manually overclocked so I am not at a loss. Essentially, it is running equivalent to the 1090T right now. I want to suggest that you do OC your CPU at least to 4.0GHz because otherwise you are wasting all of the money you paid to have "black edition" written on the side and you are not using your cooler to even half of its potential. I know what you paid for your cooler, but you are only using as much cooling power as the cooler that was included with your CPU.

...looks up "Antec Lanboy Air (Blue)" case...

Damn, you paid a lot of money to have such an aerodynamic case too. So much air flow that is going to waste bro! Generate some heat!
    I like blue too. Have a look.
    Sorry about the glare.
    Spoiler warning:

My next purchase is going to be a replacement for the mismatched Dell monitor and a triple-monitor mount so that I can free up some space on my tiny desk.

Thanks
    EP Points

The case looks great. Compact, Sufficient amount of fans. looks good blue ftw . i can agree with the dell monitor being out of place but at least your trying bring your video card to its true potential. I chose not to overclock as i never OC'd before and i heard it decreases the lifespan of that component and i never learned how to. Ive had high temps in the past with a CPU with a stock Heatsink. so i decided on something i can feel safe with which is the h70 . With my previous case which was a NZXT mid atx case it would not fit the h70 so i decided on getting a new case which is now, the antec lanboy air its a full atx so i didn't have to worry about the space issue and looks like starcraft a bit (In a awesome way) .

Wanna get a ASUS GTX 670 *Drools* hopefully on boxing day it will be 30% off or something

Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 28th-October-2012 at 19:50. Reason: Typo's.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Nicholson View Post
    Amazing rig you got. i've had some issues with radeon's back in the day (when radeon was ati) and i was having issues all the time (certain games were more compatible, BSOD's due to drivers etc.) but when i switched to Nvidia ive barely had any problems since.

*Edit* Maybe radeon has changed since then but it still didnt give a good first impression .
    Yes, back then some (not all) radeon graphic card were having problems with certain games. But now, they rarely have one. Since Direct X 11, most radeon don't have such problem anymore. Microsoft back then was using Nvidia as their standard, that's why some radeon card had problem. Also, AMD support and drivers had managed to overcome these problems by releasing constant driver update for their gpu.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Muscab View Post
    MaslowK is right, you don't need 32GB of RAM, its useless. Go for 8GB, its more than enough. Since you mentioned that you want to do other things at the same time, 6-cores is a good choice. But 6-cores for gaming is not necessary because most games require less than 4-cores. But 6-cores is still important for multithreading though. I recommend you to change your PSU because based on your rigs, 600 of Watt is more than enough. Beside, it will save you more money. Furthermore, for your first rig, I think you should substitute "Asus Nvidia geforce GTX 460" for "SAPPHIRE HD 7850". In my honest opinion, HD 7850 is the best gpu of 2012 considering it price and performance. It very cheap and yet it twice the power of GTX 460. I would also go for HD 7850 for my custom pc late this year and I won't regret it.
    Just an update. My pc is working great now (No more lock ups every 20-90 mins) It turned out it was the mobo (Shorting chipset). I guess for it being constantly on, It wore the life out of it pretty quick.

I was looking through this thread again and just wanted to point out a couple things

This is not my first rig. Im pretty experienced in building pc's. Been building pc's since 08 ive done some complete builds for my friends and i and fixed pc's before 08 as well. The specs i was giving out was only for repair purposes (Problem was "Failing Motherboard" Cant use ddr2 ram in ddr3 sockets so i had to upgrade the ram as well). I'm pretty close to an Microsoft A+ certification level with what i learned over the years (Self Taught). As for the psu i dont want to make 2 purchases of psu's when i can do it in 1 shot as well i use a couple power saving options so it kinda makes up for it. The GTX 460 is from my last build, Its only temporary intill boxing day

Looking forward to upgrading this beast further (See first post, Next Configuation)
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 8th-November-2012 at 03:03.

Thanks
    EP Points

By the way, I'd upgrade to i5-2500k. It certainly one of the best CPU for gaming. I don't know if AMD Phenom is still decent for gaming.

Thanks
    EP Points

By the way, I'd upgrade to i5-2500k. It certainly one of the best CPU for gaming. I don't know if AMD Phenom is still decent for gaming.
    You are aware he'd have to change motherboard as well as CPU. Probably a lot of cash to spend on little performance gain, if any...

Thanks
    EP Points

Intel is little over priced when i get close to the same performance for a fraction of the cost if you ask me. Even if i wanted to upgrade to a intel processor...it will use a different socket design as inferno was saying. So it would not be compatible with my mobo. I will probably upgrade my cpu to a AMD FX-8350 in february or march if anything.
    Last edited by Zer0-2k11; 8th-November-2012 at 14:58.