Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with getting ROMs to play?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Trouble with getting ROMs to play?

I've been trying for the last few hours to copy ROMs onto disc and getting them to run on my Dreamcast. I read this was supposed to be so as easy as to cause the death of the console commercially, but I've had a hell of a time getting even one to work even when following every tutorial I've read to the letter.

I am using DiscJuggler 6 Demo Edition, and I am burning to Maxell-brand DVD+RW 4.7gb/2hr discs (though with the amount of re-writes I've done I'm pretty sure I've coastered this one), and I'm trying to get Marvel vs. Capcom 2 to run.

The ROM I've been using was obtained here: http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/...ivedc-release/

If any specs from the unit itself are needed I've got it right here, so let me know and I can provide them.

Mega Man Legends 3 Fan Project!
    We're back, baby. I'd love if someone could help me read this.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Not every console can boot Mil-CD games (Also known as selfboot)

Here is a small guide on Dreamcasts and what ones can play Mil-CD backups
    http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?54893

P.S. Moved to everything console as you are not emulating on a PC but using an actual console... the only real way to go with Dreamcast

P.P.S. ImgBurn can burn them nowerdays and is totally free, I went into that at http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56588
    Last edited by Zorlon; 7th-October-2012 at 11:17.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I would like to ask a few last things, though: do they need to be CD-RWs, or DVD-RWs, or does it even matter? Also, do they need to be a certain memory size, because I know sometimes these things are picky? And finally, is it really just as easy as buy Dreamcast>find ROM>burn ROM>play, or do I need to make any special modifications first?

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

CD-R only no CD-RW's will work

No modding needed unless you have a version of Dreamcast that can't play Mil-CD's/Selfbooting

Just make sure the game is already made into a self booting Mil-CD or it just wont work, but for those none selfbooting games there is Utopia that is a Mil-CD boot CD that can start up none Mil-CD/none selfbooting games

Memory size... what are you talking about???

There are a couple of special rips around that require a 99min CD's and usually come with burning instructions (Usually involving Nero Burning Rom as Disc Juggler can't burn to 99min CD's correctly, not sure if ImgBurn can be used for those or not, can't say I tested any of those, there are only a small handful though like 2 or 3, not sure because I only get one that was an english game I believe the others are jap only games as I have every english game anyway)
    Last edited by Zorlon; 13th-October-2012 at 18:10.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zorlon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    CD-R only no CD-RW's will work

No modding needed unless you have a version of Dreamcast that can't play Mil-CD's/Selfbooting

Just make sure the game is already made into a self booting Mil-CD or it just wont work, but for those none selfbooting games there is Utopia that is a Mil-CD boot CD that can start up none Mil-CD/none selfbooting games

Memory size... what are you talking about???

There are a couple of special rips around that require a 99min CD's and usually come with burning instructions (Usually involving Nero Burning Rom as Disc Juggler can't burn to 99min CD's correctly, not sure if ImgBurn can be used for those or not, can't say I tested any of those, there are only a small handful though like 2 or 3, not sure because I only get one that was an english game I believe the others are jap only games as I have every english game anyway)
    Alright, fair enough. That's probably been my problem up to now as I was trying to use a DVD-RW that I had lying around.

And by "memory size" I meant the size of the disc. I've been modding my Wii lately, and it's kind of picky about the size of the SD Card, so I thought it wouldn't be strange if the Dreamcast would only take a certain size of CD. But as long as that's in order, excellent. Thanks again for the prompt advice!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

All the games run from normal sized CD's with the very few CD99 rips that tell you they are for 99min CD's standard ones are 80min CD's

Heh I love my Dreamcast it's my pleasure to share the info

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Welp, here I am again...

Jet Grind Radio was my subject this time. Using this exact ROM, http://www.emuparadise.me/Sega_Dream...Grind_Radio/82, I burned to a TDK 80min/700mb CD-R, using ImgBurn at a Write Speed of 16x. I put it in, turned on the console, aaaaand....now I apparently have a lovely new coaster. What am I missing? The manufacture date of the Dreamcast itself is far removed from the cut-off date, having been made in Sept. 1999, so it isn't that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Takion Sun View Post
    80min/700mb CD-R, using ImgBurn at a Write Speed of 16x.
    You are not going to get a quality burn at 16x, and it's not very good for your burning hardware either.

You want the burn speed to be as low as possible (the goal is about 4x or less). It will take forever to finish, but it helps to ensure the information is written correctly.

EDIT:
    And to be a little nit-picky, Disk=ISO, Cartridge=ROM.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 13th-October-2012 at 23:43.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks
    EP Points

Tried it again, this time with DiscJuggler. Lowest this type of disc would go is 10x, so I went there. Burned Jet Grind Radio again, same one detailed in the last post. Popped the disc in, booted the system up, aaaannnd....at least it actually DID something this time, because it took me to a media player screen of some sort. Restarted, it never worked again no matter how many times I hard reset. Are Sprung's files self-boot or do I need a Utopia disc?

Coaster count is now 3.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Did it ask you to repair the image in discjuggler? If so always say no to that (It's discjuggler being silly)

Anyway burn http://www.emuparadise.org/EPLinks/S...topia_v1.1.zip that off and see if that works first. it's not a game it's a boot CD but it will also tell you if you system works with Mill-CD's

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Zorlon View Post
    Did it ask you to repair the image in discjuggler? If so always say no to that (It's discjuggler being silly)

Anyway burn http://www.emuparadise.org/EPLinks/S...topia_v1.1.zip that off and see if that works first. it's not a game it's a boot CD but it will also tell you if you system works with Mill-CD's
    Alright, I did as you said. I downloaded that file, popped a TDK 80min disc into my disc drive, burned it using DiscJuggler at 10x(the lowest I could get), took it out, popped it in the Dreamcast, booted 'er up, aaaand....
    http://i.imgur.com/p4vjl.jpg (an imgur link because I can't seem to get the image size to anything below "massive")
    This is what greeted me.

Success! Maybe? I don't know if that TechHack.com patch was a critical part of this process, I only noticed it after burning because it got dumped a few files away from the disc image itself, so I missed it...I did try popping the other discs I made in to see if they'd boot, but to no avail.

Coaster count remains at 3. Where do we go from here?

Could it just be that I'm using crappy-quality discs? I bought these for $4 at Dollar General, figured I'd experiment with cheap-y ones before I shelled out for the high-end stuff...but maybe that was a doomed idea from the start.
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-October-2012 at 13:31.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well your dreamcast can handle Mil-CD's so there is progress atleast so you know it's not a total failure on the dreamcast side

P.S. time to dump discjuggler and use imgburn instead and yeah poor quality media or a poor tuned Dreamcast laser may be the fault or even just a poor disc image

Just letting DiscJuggler repair an image is enough to mess the burning up
    Last edited by Zorlon; 16th-October-2012 at 16:07.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Takion Sun View Post
    Could it just be that I'm using crappy-quality discs? I bought these for $4 at Dollar General, figured I'd experiment with cheap-y ones before I shelled out for the high-end stuff...but maybe that was a doomed idea from the start.
    As far as cheap cd-r's go (not that they're particularly expensive nowadays), I've had about a 90% success rate using imgburn with these; http://www.memorex.com/en-us/Digital...-CD-R-10-Pack/

$10 for 10 discs w/ cases, can't go wrong with that
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    EP Points

One last update...

Tried one last time, this time with ImgBurn, at 4x speed, which is as low as it seemed to want to let me go. Burned a copy of Sword of the Berserk: Guts's Rage, to the same kind of disc I've been using thus far, popped it out, popped it in the Dreamcast, and...

Nothin'. What I then tried to do is, once again, pop the Utopia disc into the system to see if maybe that'd let it boot, maybe it didn't have a self-boot. You know, the one that's worked before? Popped it in, waited, and to my great surprise...nothin'. Wouldn't even boot up to the reindeer screen, and it might as well have not had a disc in there. This coupled with the second Jet Grind Radio incident leads me to believe that even valid burns are read once, and only once, and after that, never again, which leads me to believe the problem may just be with the Dreamcast itself, which I can't do a thing about besides buy a new unit.

With the coaster count now jumping to 5 in light of this new incident, I believe that I'll being laying this one to rest. Thanks for all the help and support, it was really appreciated, but it seems that some circumstances beyond my control (at least for now) is going to stubbornly keep preventing this from working right now. I may buy some better-quality CD-Rs and try again in the future, but for now, I'll just let it lie. ); Thank you all.

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

look on youtube for a Dreamcast laser tune guide

It's easy enough to do

If it is the media that one is realy easy to solve

skip to apx 1.30 past most the mindless yap

lol does that guy not just get on with it....

I'm sure you could find a better vid
    Last edited by Zorlon; 17th-October-2012 at 12:22.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]