Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zombi U anyone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SWEATYGREMLINSCLUB View Post
    I'm gonna get a Wii-U just so I can play it The online features remind me of Demon's Souls and looks like it might genuinely be a 'survival' game.

I'm impressed with the Wii-U in general but this game looks pretty special, hopefully it's a quality game, not always easy to tell from footage but looks very promising
    Yay someone who agrees with me

Thanks

I would like the game a lot more if they didn't use the crappy light technique for jump scares. The reason I dislike jump scares is that it's usually a one second decision. Respond too slow, you're dead right away. If there were more examples of just tactfully running away/running to your objective, it would bring all kinds of awesome. Being scared isn't about shitting your pants at the slightest of things as you move in a game, but knowing when your current powers aren't enough to handle the situation. Having poor lighting keeps you constantly vulnerable, but also keeps the tension at a certain level that makes it difficult to ratchet up. The perma-death is kind of cool, but since you just respawn as a different character, it's only perma-cosmetics death.

It looks really nice. I hope they do it right since it can be really cool.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <----Me podcast about Tabletop RPGs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    I would like the game a lot more if they didn't use the crappy light technique for jump scares. The reason I dislike jump scares is that it's usually a one second decision. Respond too slow, you're dead right away. If there were more examples of just tactfully running away/running to your objective, it would bring all kinds of awesome. Being scared isn't about shitting your pants at the slightest of things as you move in a game, but knowing when your current powers aren't enough to handle the situation. Having poor lighting keeps you constantly vulnerable, but also keeps the tension at a certain level that makes it difficult to ratchet up. The perma-death is kind of cool, but since you just respawn as a different character, it's only perma-cosmetics death.

It looks really nice. I hope they do it right since it can be really cool.
    I agree, lately I have been looking for more games that fill me with utter dread, like no matter what I do, I can do nothing to fight back, I either run away, hide or die. That's the problem with Zombies, they're always about numbers, so people would be stuck in a house trying to kill a huge horde, it's not like say a supernatural being chasing people down, you can kill them. But I am excited for this game, because of its perma-death

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    I get attached to the characters I make, I don't like to swap them up, which is why I make all my DnD characters as identical as possible.
    You're not customizing your characters, they give a random character and you deal with it. So you don't become attached to them.
    Last edited by Ragnarök; 7th-October-2012 at 20:24. Reason: don't double post!

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kajalamorth View Post
    I agree, lately I have been looking for more games that fill me with utter dread, like no matter what I do, I can do nothing to fight back, I either run away, hide or die.
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent, All of the Penumbra games other than the first one, and I think a case can be made for Silent Hill 2, since the combat is so clunky running away is always the better option .
    There areothers (like the game based off of The Grudge), but those are the ones I have played personally. I recommended them all highly, especially if you are bored with ubiquitous zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajalamorth View Post
    But I am excited for this game, because of its perma-death
    You know, this sounds like an excellent mechanic for a horror game, but I just don't see it causing the anxiety it's supposed to. I mean, since you you spawn in the exact same world you where you had already accomplished the exact same tasks, and can get all of your back items that you lost on death (even though it is kinda cool that you have kill your last character, gives it a feeling of persistence), I just don't see it being all that different than dying in any other game :/ . No real consequence, you know what I mean?
    Maybe if the went full-roguelike, and spawned you in a completely different world, or at least started you over with no way to get your items back (and maybe the multiplayer is supposed to accomplish this?) I'd actually care if I died.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.
    Last edited by Alakazander; 7th-October-2012 at 19:45.
    My gear:
    Spoiler warning:
    PC:
    Operating Systems: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Linux Mint 15 (partition on main drive), Windows XP Profesional x64 (on separate drive)
    Mainboard: MSi 890 FXA-GD65
    Processor (CPU): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, 3.3 GHz
    Graphics Card (GPU): HIS HD 6870 IceQ X TurboX 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: 8 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 594MHz (9-9-9-24)

Nintendo DS Lite:
    Acekard 2.1
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Sony PSP-1000 (phat)
    6.39 PRO-C2 Custom Firmware
    PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot
    Samsung class 10 32GB MicroSDHC
    SanDisk Ultra class 10 32GB MicroSDHC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alakazander View Post
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent, All of the Penumbra games other than the first one, and I think a case can be made for Silent Hill 2, since the combat is so clunky running away is always the better option .
    There areothers (like the game based off of The Grudge), but those are the ones I have played personally. I recommended them all highly, especially if you are bored with ubiquitous zombies.

You know, this sounds like an excellent mechanic for a horror game, but I just don't see it causing the anxiety it's supposed to. I mean, since you you spawn in the exact same world you where you had already accomplished the exact same tasks, and can get all of your back items that you lost on death (even though it is kinda cool that you have kill your last character, gives it a feeling of persistence), I just don't see it being all that different than dying in any other game :/ . No real consequence, you know what I mean?
    Maybe if the went full-roguelike, and spawned you in a completely different world, or at least started you over with no way to get your items back (and maybe the multiplayer is supposed to accomplish this?) I'd actually care if I died.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something.
    My computer sucks, the latest game that I can play with full graphics is Team Fortress 2, I am currently trying to get a job so I can get Punumbera and Amnesia: Dark Descent(and the parts I want from Newegg.) I hear there is no consequence for dying, which sucks but the game looks fun, I am hoping that they don't make it difficult by sending 300 zombies at you, I want to worry when I only see one zombie, anyway. I am also thinking about making a pseudo-open world horror game when I can learn some C++ Visual Basic, I am learning that... Next semester? I can't wait

I picked the Suffering up today, and that looks really cool, not scary, but fun and it does fill me with anxiety, but that's not difficult seeing that I do have an Anxiety Disorder xP, but really fun, oh and totally free non-pirated . Anyway I'll go read up on it more so I can fill this forum with info on my post... first I need to do my project, and play more The Suffering.

Oh and speaking of "frightening games" (it's not scary but it does fill me with dread) check out this flash game: www.kongregate.com/games/scriptwelder/deep-sleep
    Last edited by Ragnarök; 7th-October-2012 at 20:27.