Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sega Genesis Add-ons' Games

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It had a lot of great games, and there were games like Soul Reaver and Shadow Man that looked better than the PS1 versions. The problem was that the Saturn turned off a lot of people to Sega and the PS2 had a dvd drive which meant bigger games and you could buy that instead of a separate dvd player. The Dreamcast over all is my favorite console from Sega, and I cant wait to get an emulator working for it.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm not entirely sure how well the dreamcast is emulated at this point, but its my understanding that the emulators are fairly resource intensive. For lack of hassle you should really consider picking up an actual dreamcast, since you can simply burn self-booting .CDI's to standard CDs and they generally work perfectly

As far as price goes I was able to find these on my local craigslist, you could check yours as well;

"Sega Dreamcast system with 13 games 2 controllers 2 VMUs - $50"
    "Sega Dreamcast !*! Super Clean !*! Includes Controller - $30"
    "sega dreamcast - $40"

All good deals considering what you get
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah, virtual disk drives take up a lot of of your computers processing my dad told me. I dont know if I want to mess with Disk Juggler to do dreamcast games on an actual system though. I think Ill wait till maybe someone develops a better emulator for it and its as simple to use like psxfin. Same with the Saturn, but I bet itll be easier to do Dreamcast emulation than Saturn stuff in the future.

All this work and hassle just to play old games you cant afford to buy haha.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    Yeah, virtual disk drives take up a lot of of your computers processing my dad told me. I dont know if I want to mess with Disk Juggler to do dreamcast games on an actual system though. I think Ill wait till maybe someone develops a better emulator for it and its as simple to use like psxfin. Same with the Saturn, but I bet itll be easier to do Dreamcast emulation than Saturn stuff in the future.

All this work and hassle just to play old games you cant afford to buy haha.

It's not that bad, depends on what game. The resources needed aren't nearly as bad as Dolphin and PCSX2. NullDC is where you want to go.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah my ps2 is still working so Id rather buy ps2 games than go with emulation for it. In a decade computers will probably be more than capable of doing it like ps1.

The site fantasyanime is where I learned about emulation and who to use different emulators I have, but the guy hasnt done one for the dreamcast yet.

Thanks

I emulate Genesis games on my PSP but it's not the same as having the real hardware.

The Dreamcast was great, really worth owning one so I wanna track another one down when I got the cash.

dreamcast.jpg

I can hear whales and dolphins cry from nostalgia whenever the little Dreamcast logo boots up with NullDC, I want Shenmue on the real thing though.

Thanks
    EP Points

I remember reading about the Genesis addons somewhere. Genesis did well in US but poor in Japan, that's why Sega of America was considering addons to make the life cycle of the console longer, since many people already had it. It could potentially do well in the 5th gen market (Sega CD and 32X combined), and they could release a full blown console 2 or 3 years later than PS1 and N64, to have the advantage in graphics in latter 5th gen (similar to Genesis). But since Genesis didn't do well in Japan, Sega of Japan decided to make a new console because not too many people had genesis in Japan. The reason 32X and Saturn released so close together is because Sega of America and Sega of Japan didn't have any constructive communication together regarding development. SoJ considered SoA a marketing branch for US, so they would just call one day and order them to do something and SoA had to follow, while still being responsible for sales of consoles and games in US. I read about that in a Sonic Xtreme article iirc, which I can't find right now, but a short version is here.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for telling me that. I saw this brief retrospective on the Saturn and a guy mentioned how there was miscommunication within Sega about 2D and 3D and how when the the PS1 was becoming a real thing Sega panicked and looked at how the Saturn was a 2D machine and at the last minute made it a 3D machine which since it was rushed it wasnt as polished as the PS1.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

Don't forget to add to your Sega CD list: Vay (RPG) Dennin Aleste (Shooter) Jaguar XJ220 (Driving), Android Assault (Shooter) and Wing Commander with the clumsy controls,super slowdown,but was the first WC with voices lol. Mortal Kombat was terrible, still remember Shang Tsung's 15 secs pause-transformation everytime he morphed into another character, i really hate with passion those FMVs "sheet" that plagued the poor Sega CD but with 20 interesting titles like Lunar 1and 2,final fight CD NTSC-J ver. Shining force Sonic CD etc etc you have a good reason to install KEGA in your PC lol .. I think the best use of the CD as an add-on for a 16 bit (or pseudo) console was the PC-Engine CD, but that's another Story.

Spoiler warning:
    still need to check Heimdall,Eye of the Beholder,Rise of the Dragon,Wonder Dog and the Super Agent Cobra games...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yeah thanks man, I think i wrote stuff about stuff elsewhere. I think the TG 16 CD was trhe best cd console till the PS1 came out. Sega should have gotten more of its library. I cant download Android Assault, Monkey Island or Vay, stupid internet, I got the Lunar games for PS1 though so I dont feel the need for the original version on it. I wrote somewhere on here how I swapped music in SCD games with other music, its more exciting than actually playing Sonic CD haha.

About Wonder Dog, the Nerd didnt like it I saw and it looked like a Bubsy like Sonic wannabe.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Izuna View Post
    Don't forget to add to your Sega CD list: Vay (RPG) Dennin Aleste (Shooter) Jaguar XJ220 (Driving), Android Assault (Shooter) and Wing Commander with the clumsy controls,super slowdown,but was the first WC with voices lol.]
    Was it really? I didn't know that... I always thought the 3DO version was the first to have full speech (cutscenes and in-game). I remember I had a speech pack expansion that came with my old DOS copy of Wing Commander, and all it did was add voices to the in-game flight sequences, haha. I had WCII on Cd-Rom later and it pulled the same crap, no voices in the cut-scenes, but they had them in the flying parts.