Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis Add-ons' Games

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Sega Genesis Add-ons' Games

This is probably when Sega started making mistakes I think, with the Sega CD and 32X add-ons. However I got Lords of Thunder to work on Kega Fusion so I got a bug to delve into their library of games. Ive watched shows on youtube about them and so I think I know which games to avoid, but its hard to find those hidden gems that if advertised better could have made at least the CD add on a moderate success. I have no desire to play FMV games with live actors in them, so that cuts down the CD game options pretty quickly. And as far as the 32X, I only found 4 games that Im interested in playing.

These are what Im interested in for each add-on.

Sega C
    Games Ive started playing:
    Lords of Thunder, awesome game, love the Thunder Armor guy most, great music too.
    Robo Aleste, i dont like how slow your firing is, like its not made for people who are keeping the fire button down.
    Kei Squadron, a cute em up, theres a ton of power ups, but i think your character is too big for the space allowed to move around in.
    Games I want to play:
    Popful Mail, I saw this at the retro store I like to go to, it was on this video they show in a loop all day long thats 2 or so hours long. It looks like a fun action RPG, really made me wish Sega hadnt made the SCD cater to bad looking FMV games.
    Lunar Series, these games probably should have been pushed better since they were so good remakes were made for systems more people bought. I may just download those versions though.
    Road Avenger, this is a cartoon FMV game, so it doesnt have bad acting in it. Instead it requires fast reaction to get through all the crazy scenarios the game throws at you.
    Vay, this just got my attention since its another RPG on the SCD, havent seen reviews.
    Panic!, supposed to be weird, you push buttons and watch different things happen while a computer virus destroys the world.
    Secret of Monkey Island, because I dont want to get DOSBOX and pay for all the old DOS games.
    Samurai Shodown, I just want to see how good it is on this since its the only NEO GEO game in its library.
    Soul Feace, I like space shooters.

32X
    Knuckles Chaotix, apparently this is the only good game on the 32X. I need to play it more so I can get used to the controls. I dont like Sonic games that much, but it looks good and I want to play in those falling levels that look cool.
    Virtua Fighter, I havent gotten in to Saturn Emulation yet cause its complicated at times, will soon though, might as well play this on here till I can play VF2.
    Kolibri its a shooter game where you play as a humming bird of all things. At least you dont play as a dolphin.
    Tempo, Ive never heard of this game, but might as well try it out.

So thats it basically unless you guys have any recommendations. I wish that Sega had tried to get more games from the Turbo Grafx CD library, that was easily the best CD based console till the PS1 came out. Im not going to download a game like Night Trap that has multiple CD's just for curiosity sake though. I want to find the gold buried under the coal. But if you do have a good FMV game that no one knows about or think it gets a bad rap, then say why and recommend it. Does any body have a favorite game of theirs on these that made buying them (and possibly a Genesis just to play), worth it?

Thanks

Thanks for telling me about this, i've never played these sega games, i'll look them up now.
    Last edited by ghost.heart; 5th-October-2012 at 09:11.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ghost.heart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

Segacd did have a few good games (you should also try Shining force it's an rpg) And it didn't do too poorly, the 32x on the other hand is a disaster and rather pointless considering the saturn came out just like a half year later.

Edit: actually you may be better off with dosbox for monkey island, I seem to remember the load times being horrible (same with Willy Beamish too)
    Last edited by Zaladane; 5th-October-2012 at 10:15.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sega C
    Mortal Kombat
    Final Fight
    Snatcher

32X:
    Star Wars
    Space Harrier
    Virtua Racing
    Mortal Kombat 2
    NBA Jam

FF and both MKs were the best home versions you could get at the time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I dont want to really play the CD versions of games Ive downloaded already like FF and SF, I guess I should give Snatcher a look. Im not into Mortal Kombat though.

Ill check out how long the load times on Monkey Island are and tell you. I havent noticed long load times yet, my computer has more ram and stuff than a Genesis had.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    This is probably when Sega started making mistakes I think, with the Sega CD and 32X add-ons.
    And you'd be right; their inability to concentrate on a single piece of hardware at a time certainly didn't help them financially in the long run. Followed by pulling an Atari and building a console more complex than most developers could be dicked with trying to develop games for of course, and finally, releasing a quality console which was unfortunately overshadowed by both the PS2 and Gamecube. /endrant :p

Anyhoo. I'm not sure how you managed to miss Sonic CD, it's generally considered one of if not the best Sega CD game out there. Regardless, even if you're not all that into the 16-bit Sonic games (blast processing bro!),I would still recommend giving this one a look; it's definitely different enough from the others to stand on its own as a fairly unique take on the series.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 9th-October-2012 at 09:17.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well its interesting you wrote about Sonic CD today.

I wasnt going to download it since I dont like Sonic, but its the only torrent for a SCD game on piratebay who had seeders (other one was Snatcher), so I got them both. I watched an episode of Game Shack a little while ago with Sonic CD on it, it mainly focused on how people dont like it for the music and the time travel stuff. The music part made me think of how when you download SCD games their OST's come in individual mp3 files in the folder with the iso. So I got a funny idea in my head to rename a music file from New Order and replaced the first levels music with it, AND IT WORKED! Now I am going to play Sonic CD with my own soundtrack for the levels.

I really dont like the opening of this show. :/ oh well its a good yt game show.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX0cRztKrRs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaslowK View Post
    And you'd be right; their inability to concentrate on a single piece of hardware at a time certainly didn't help them financially in the long run. Followed by pulling an Atari and building a console more complex than most developers could be dicked with trying to develop games for of course, and finally, releasing a quality console which was unfortunately overshadowed by both the PS2 and Gamecube. /endrant :p

Anyhoo. I'm not sure how you managed to miss Sonic CD, it's generally considered one of if not the best Sega CD game out there. Regardless, even if you're not all that into the 16-bit Sonic games (blast processing bro!),I would still recommend giving this one a look; it's definitely different enough from the others to stand on its own as a fairly unique take on the series.
    That doesn't stop me from thinking that the Dreamcast had major potential, oh well I'll back to playing The Suffering

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The Dreamcast, to me, was the only great console they made. I think they should have (and this is just me looking back), just made the 32X addon earlier than they did half way through the Genesis' life span. Then focused on a CD console when they were developing the Saturn. Maybe they could have released the 2d arcade games in America on the 32X? It would have made the Genesis the king of shooter consoles.

It doesnt matter, but they really shouldnt have released a CD addon so early in the technologies lifetime.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    The Dreamcast, to me, was the only great console they made. I think they should have (and this is just me looking back), just made the 32X addon earlier than they did half way through the Genesis' life span. Then focused on a CD console when they were developing the Saturn. Maybe they could have released the 2d arcade games in America on the 32X? It would have made the Genesis the king of shooter consoles.

It doesnt matter, but they really shouldnt have released a CD addon so early in the technologies lifetime.

From reading that post it makes me think (and that you were kinda thinking too) that they should have combined their efforts and released a melding of the 32x and segacd into a brand new console much earlier than the saturn and would have (possibly) cornered the market for the 5th gen (which I guess they did when I think about it /Saturn) I dunno maybe they shouldn't have bothered at all with the addons. It makes you think though if they put just a tad more effort into the Segacd and released it as a brand new system (maybe with a slot for genesis games and sort of reversed the idea there)

However looking at the Dreamcast that would have been a mistake as releasing a console too soon and ignoring certain conventions can only hurt its success. It seems to me like they were stop back measures so to speak that weren't well recieved and having so much hardware produced even hurt their Saturn release. Better planning for Sega would probably have saved their asses and we could have possibly seen a 7th gen system from them by now. Rambling. Don't mind me.

I agree about the Dreamcast though it was a cute little system. Besides the Genesis itself of course.

I've never once in my life played the Saturn or even emulated it by the way. Couldn't care less... I wonder why
    Last edited by Zaladane; 10th-October-2012 at 01:37.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

They released the CDX, Genesis and Sega CD in one, but it cost more than buying them separately.

The Saturn's best games were kept in Japan, except for a few that everyone here says are the only good games for it.
    Last edited by williamjones; 10th-October-2012 at 01:49.

Thanks

Very Funny
    Thanks

----

Last edited by Cookie Monster; 10th-October-2012 at 10:39. Reason: no ads allowed!

Thanks
    EP Points

Sega-16 and Racketboy are great resources for 32X and Sega CD games. My favorites are Final Fight, Lords of Thunder, Lunar Silver Star/Eternal Blue, NBA Jam, Popful Mail, Snatcher, Space Harrier and Virtua Racing

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Lords of Thunder is my favorite game I downloaded for them, I want to like Popful Mail, but its a little cheap at times, and I only have one life. :/ when can i get resurrection potions?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    That doesn't stop me from thinking that the Dreamcast had major potential, oh well I'll back to playing The Suffering
    Well of course, for being out 1-2 years before the PS2, Gamecube or Xbox it was quite a console graphically. I believe the biggest issue they had was a lack of solid 3rd party support compared to consoles from more popular developers (both Nintendo and Sony at the time), meaning less high quality games in general.

But hey, at least the good ones are burnable :p
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"