Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Merger??? (You've been poisoned)

Thanks

Default Square Enix Merger??? (You've been poisoned)

This might have already been asked, but do you think the Square Enix merger was a good one in your opinion?

I liked both companies before hand but I'm just not so sure anymore. I ask this due to the fact that I'm currently playing FFAT2 (which I apparently downloaded a while ago and totally spaced out until a couple of days ago), and while I'm enjoying it somewhat, it feels watered down in the sense that ever since Square and Enix merged it seems they have just elaborated on the same theme and story (between FF12, FFTA and FFTA2).

Some may call it cohesion but I say its a far cry from eithers previous style. Square never did this before the merge w/ Enix. The original FF Tactics had horrible load times but had mood and personality (not to say the sequels don't, but there was something special about the original). So it begs the question...who's running that show? Square or Enix? Oh, and when am I going to see a sequel to Einhander or a remake of FF7?! Your thoughts please?
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    EP Points

It seems that the FF series has gone downhill. I didn't care for FFX, Tidus really annoyed me. I think the quality of the games have gone down. I love the FF series, but each one gets progressively worse. Maybe the merger wasn't a good idea. Hopefully they'll go back to producing great games again. I want to know when I'm going to see a FF6 or FF8 remake?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by retrofiber View Post
    This might have already been asked, but do you think the Square Enix merger was a good one in your opinion?
    Hard to say really. I feel like both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (particularly FF) started more or less going down the tubes even before the merger. Of course this could be more nostalgia talking than anything, as there are apparently a ton of people who enjoyed FF10 & FF12 in particular as well as the newer PS2 etc DQ games, they just aren't for me apparently.

Oh, and when am I going to see a sequel to Einhander or a remake of FF7?! Your thoughts please?
    The problem with them making an FF7 remake is that compared to the number of new gamers (as well as kids with parents who buy their games for them), there are relatively few die-hard FF7 fans left who would truly appreciate a remake. What would happen is it would either be too similar to the original thereby alienating newer fans not used to the older style, or it would end up too different and alienate the older players who grew up with the original.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Venus View Post
    .I didn't care for FFX, Tidus really annoyed me...
    Well I didn't mind Tidus so much as that twat Vaan from FF12..but I know what you mean. Whats with the pretty blonde boys...?

Edit: Wow maslowK, you just made some great points
    Last edited by retrofiber; 21st-September-2012 at 03:30. Reason: maslowK knows
    Try to appreciate those who live during your own life time, because we'll all be dead soon enough.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

They need to make a sequel to Chrono Cross. And make an english version of the third Mana game. The remake of FF7 wont happen until theyre nearing bankruptcy and thats ok with me, I like the graphics.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    They need to make a sequel to Chrono Cross. And make an english version of the third Mana game. The remake of FF7 wont happen until theyre nearing bankruptcy and thats ok with me, I like the graphics.
    They will not make any sequels because they know they are gonna fuck up their franchises if they do. Squaresoft & enix were great when they were not one,So many good games for the Snes & PSX. Better then the shit they serve nowadays.

The password for my upload's is "caidsncer". If you love my uploads,then hit the "THANX" button.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Well yes, it was good compared to the outcome of them not merging. If not for Enix stepping up and buying the failing Squaresoft it's conceivable we wouldn't have any Final Fantasy games right now. Or even worse, EA could've bought up Squaresoft

But Enix really got too big, the quality of their work suffered from the merger. Square's games development suffered under Enix's management style, which basically made everything a cash cow there to milk the fanbase. I'm still shocked a FF7 hasn't gotten a remake, that was totally up their alley. But I'm pleasantly surprised they've quashed it, Square-Enix has really improved over this gen
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Or even worse, EA could've bought up Squaresoft
    That would've been a disaster.

The password for my upload's is "caidsncer". If you love my uploads,then hit the "THANX" button.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 160 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    Well yes, it was good compared to the outcome of them not merging. If not for Enix stepping up and buying the failing Squaresoft it's conceivable we wouldn't have any Final Fantasy games right now. Or even worse, EA could've bought up Squaresoft

But Enix really got too big, the quality of their work suffered from the merger. Square's games development suffered under Enix's management style, which basically made everything a cash cow there to milk the fanbase. I'm still shocked a FF7 hasn't gotten a remake, that was totally up their alley. But I'm pleasantly surprised they've quashed it, Square-Enix has really improved over this gen
    lol,improved a lot. To me, Squaresoft's demise started with Tetsuya Nomura's debut in the center stage. imo.
    And about SE merge,.. I`m still waiting a Valkyrie Profile's sequel
    Spoiler warning:
    "We have one game subtitled Lenneth, and another subtitled Silmeria. If the previous pattern continues, we're due for Valkyrie Profile: Hrist. That means that the most ruthless Valkyrie finally takes center stage. Though some characters from previous games should carry over (not Lezard Valeth, though), the developers at Tri-Ace shouldn't be afraid to branch out into new territory with the gameplay. After all, a lot has happened in RPG world in the last six years, and a PlayStation 2-era game wouldn't cut it today. Unfortunately, dreaming about a new Valkyrie Profile title won't make it happen. I hope that, even after all this time, Square Enix and Tri-Ace aren't leaving this series for dead. Even though Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume got a mixed reception, I hope the developers know that plenty of Valkyrie Profile fans like me are anxiously awaiting the next RPG installment." interesting article imo,.. if you wanna read the whole thing here is the link where i got it: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...e-profile.aspx

Thanks

If not for Enix stepping up and buying the failing Squaresoft it's conceivable we wouldn't have any Final Fantasy games right now

I would have guessed that Square bought up Enix, not the other way around. Guess I never looked into it. No wonder the art style swayed more towards Enix's.

I`m still waiting a Valkyrie Profile's sequel
    I love the first game but just couldn't get into Silmeria due to the transition to 3D. I'll prob give it another shot in the future.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I just beat FF7, that was the most epic series of fights Ive ever been through. I didnt have level four powers and Cloud was at 83 with 7200 hp. Freakin nerverackinglyepic! Yes, one word. Its way better than FF10.

Thanks
    EP Points

i wish people would stop talking about this.

the merger was going to happen long before 2003, but square very nearly killed themselves and this rightfully spooked enix. final fantasy x and kingdom hearts are still square games. enix doesn't really make games.

fake nostalgia is destroying your mind, as square is doing exactly what it always has. complaining about uemura is a lost cause. if anything is truly affecting square-enix, it's the japanese economy, and that's been an issue for a long time.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Despatche For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have an update. I just went down the ladder when the guy put it down, i didnt explore the world, I just beat the guy in one try at the final stage. Pretty cool, but now Im gonna explore and try to actually get myself up to 9999 hp, then beat it again with a ton of spells I didnt learn or use. I beat the game pretty bare boned. haha.

Why is Weapon flying around?
    Last edited by williamjones; 21st-September-2012 at 18:47.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Of course it was good.

The reason FF is sucking now is not because of the merger but because there are only about two people in that entire company on the Square side who have any skill at writing.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I didn't mind Tidus so much as that twat Vaan from FF12..but I know what you mean. Whats with the pretty blonde boys...?

Edit: Wow maslowK, you just made some great points
    Oh,god I forgot about Vaan! What a wuss! He was such a forgettable character. He's bland and one note. He's annoying too.