Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TOP 100 RPGs OF ALL TIME! Have you checked it out yet?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default TOP 100 RPGs OF ALL TIME! Have you checked it out yet?

Okay, recently IGN.com just released its full list of top 100 RPGs of all time. I'm really excited (not that much) when I went through the list.
    In case you haven't checked it out yet, here is the link.

My personal opinion is that I don't really like the rank of some games. Especially, Final Fantasy IX which is ranked at #88. WTF?!

Luckily the number #1 spot is belong to Japanese RPG.

Thanks

if it's not got planescape number one it's wrong.
    Insanity: that which makes things not boring.

Thanks
    EP Points

Persona 4 is too low on the list.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

at least it has all the awesome stuff.
    I had an irrational fear that it would only have new games on there (aka, nothing before 2005)

Thanks

dafaq?

LoD, Vagrant story and FFVIII are in the 90s of the list

what kind of list..........

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks

having looked through this finally... dear god that thing is so wrong it's not even funny.

Pickles is offline dagnabbit! These dad-gum kids and their new-fangled gizzy-moes!
    Thanks

I also don't agree with all 100 of the decisions made by IGN.

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm not generally one to fuss about what games are and aren't on lists like this. More often than not you'll at least see 100 good / important games on them, as you do on this one. And hey, who doesn't like to reminisce from time to time?

I do have one problem, though, and it's more or less the same problem that I have with nearly every list like this: it's clearly confused about whether it wants to be a list of titles which are important historically, or titles which are genuinely fantastic games to this day. If it's a list of important titles from a historical perspective, then why is Dragon Quest as low as the 20s? It should easily be top two or three given that it essentially started the entire JRPG subgenre. On the other hand, if it's a list of playable titles, why is Dragon Quest as high as the 20s? It shouldn't even be anywhere near the top 100 given that it's an incredibly poor, generic JRPG by today's standards.

The same holds true of many other choices. Pokemon Red / Blue being ahead of some of their pretty much objectively improved successors and the horribly dated but influential Phantasy Star 2 being ahead of the still incredibly playable and cool Phantasy Star 4 seem to imply that it's about historical relevance. But if that's the case, then what the heck is Final Fantasy doing hiding all the way down in the 70s when it started arguably the most popular RPG series ever? And why are seminal games like Diablo and Baldur's Gate languishing below sequels which though superior, were essentially just bigger, beefier versions of their already massively successful predecessors?

I don't know. I feel if you're going to set out to make a list like this, especially if you're going to number the games in order, you really need to make it clear whether it's a list of the 100 greatest games or a list of the 100 most important ones. Otherwise the whole point of the exercise seems pretty moot to me.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It's a great example of subjective analysis versus actual quality (which all top __ have, unless it weighs actual standards like money earned). About half of that list is on my list of crap, but a lot of people like them. For example to some of the previous posts, I don't like Persona 4. The gameplay had potential, but is ruined for me by the story. I'm not emo enough to care about fools making terrible decisions. Legend of Dragoon is another that has a great story and characters, but the selling point of the combat requires way too much grinding for me to ever want to play again.

Anyways, they hit the main points on this list that everyone declares is good, so the fan service done was just. Otherwise, it's another list of games noticeable for their time, but fail due to do glaring problems a standard mark doesn't understand.
    Don't ya hate it when people neg rep you, but don't have the gall to tell you themselves?

http://momsbasementpodcast.blogspot.com/ <----Me podcast about Tabletop RPGs

Thanks

VV contains spoilers to list VV

Spoiler warning:
    The fact that FF VI beat Chrono trigger is beyond me, but where's Valkyrie Profile? and once again, why is Vagrant story so low?

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nemo View Post
    It's a great example of subjective analysis versus actual quality (which all top __ have, unless it weighs actual standards like money earned). About half of that list is on my list of crap, but a lot of people like them. For example to some of the previous posts, I don't like Persona 4. The gameplay had potential, but is ruined for me by the story. I'm not emo enough to care about fools making terrible decisions. Legend of Dragoon is another that has a great story and characters, but the selling point of the combat requires way too much grinding for me to ever want to play again.

Anyways, they hit the main points on this list that everyone declares is good, so the fan service done was just. Otherwise, it's another list of games noticeable for their time, but fail due to do glaring problems a standard mark doesn't understand.
    My problem with Persona 4 is that it takes almost 2-3 HOURS REAL TIME just to get to the first battle. Even button mashing the dialogue doesn't help. One good thing about PCSX2. . .the Tab Button(Increased the FPS).

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's IGN, who gives a shit?

The only reason anyone pays attention to IGN anymore is to instantly disagree with what they have to say.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JKDarkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Deus ex should be on no.1

Thanks

planescape should be higher. period. baldurs gate one and two should be higher. period. unarguable as far as i'm concerned. jade empire should probably be hire than that as well. far more playable than many of the games that are higher up, for sure.

i'm not going into more than that because i would be here for hours if i did.

Thanks
    EP Points

I used to follow IGN intensely, but in the last few years they have really gotten out of touch with stuff. Their reviews get worse, their news stories are mostly based on rumors just to get hits, and the worst shit they've done is that retrospective junk where they basically re-review a game with various staff a week or so after it's out. They go and give a game like Mass Effect 3 a 9.5 or whatever it was, then a week later they all bitch about how it wasn't that great and blah blah blah. I'm sick of the site, and they really are appearing to be getting paid off on their reviews.

And as for their lists.... they all pretty much stink. They create them just to start controversy.