Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generic Protagonists

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    Im just pointing out something. If a character is on the front cover of a game (and nothing else is), youd think game makers would want their characters to stand out and not be one in the crowd. Maybe thats just what they think the average person wants.
    One is in the desert and wearing a roughed up shirt, the second is wearing normal person wear with electric hands and the last guy is in a spacesuit.

THEREFORE ALL OF THEM ARE EXACTLY THE SAME.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JKDarkside For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
    One is in the desert and wearing a roughed up shirt, the second is wearing normal person wear with electric hands and the last guy is in a spacesuit.

I'm guessing that's his logic, below is mine.

A blind man could tell they're all different. Kinda hard to bitch on similarity with what's not similar

"I am... Sheik. One of the last of the Sheikah tribe..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

MAYBE THEY ARE SO SIMILAR, THEY'RE ACTUALLY THE SAME PERSON. TIME TRAVELER MAYBE?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well if you where in those places youd wear those different clothes.

Thanks
    EP Points

I definitely like cuter, more cartoonish art styles myself, but I really don't think these characters even look that similar. Drake looks very different to Cole and Shepard, and the two of them don't exactly look any more similar to me than my bald doctor looks to one of my friends with a shaved head. As games push toward more realistic graphics, characters are likely going to start to look a bit more similar, as variations in real people tend to be more subtle than cartoon characters rendered in two artists' radically different styles, and what you can do in terms of costumes / hair tends to be a tad more limited when shooting for a realistic art style (see Star Ocean 4 for an example of why it's often just creepy when you mix the two). But I don't think realistic game models are really any more difficult to tell apart than real people are.

Also, what a character says and does plays a far bigger role in them being appealing to me than how they look. And while I haven't played Mass Effect or Infamous, Drake has absolutely tons of personality, and is a big part of what makes Uncharted so fun. Irrespective of how he looks, I'd never confuse him with any other character. <3

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh just stop being such a sissy and play Mass Effect, you're missing out.

With that said, I'm very conscious about what my character looks like. I can understand the feeling. I also feel slightly uncomfortable at first when I have play as a character whose design I don't particularly like. Imagine how I felt when I first played Final Fantasy X or Kingdom Hearts. I'm the kind of guy, who, when the game gives me the chance (this mostly happens in JRPGs), switches out the main guy for someone else in order to play as my favorite party member. Tales games often let you do this. I used weaker equipment in Xenoblade for hours simply because it looked cooler than my upgraded gear. However, if a game is good enough, I'll let it slide.

(Psst, JRPG developers: if you want to make cool-looking outfits, take notes from Shadow Hearts. I would let that man do unspeakable things to my body and I would enjoy every second of it.)

Still, to give a random example, I don't think my enjoyment of Assassins Creed would've been the same had Ezio not looked like a total badass. I actually remember unlocking a bonus outfit in Brotherhood, and after seeing that it looked like shit, I switched back to my original assassin robes because I just felt more uncomfortable with it.

So I can kinda-sorta get what you're saying, but at the same time, at least try to give those games a chance before you dismiss them entirely.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gare For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    EP Points

I agree that customizable characters are better. I remember I changed the default skin for GTA III on PC with MS Paint and made all kinds of crazy stuff, it actually made me want to play more. I mean punching people as a thug is one thing, punching them as a poorly modeled robot is another.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Apart from the fact that the topic poster chose to post pictures - of only three characters, mind you - instead of, you know, write these there letters I think he has a solid enough point. Also, if you're going to mock someone, atleast have the common courtesy to be clever and/or funny about it. Ugh.

I actually find Drake very bland, but I'll have to admit that it's probably all just because I never got into the first Uncharted. So. Many. Generic. Enemies. To. Kill.

Could you go further into detail? Because looks aren't everything, what most remember is personality. I remember that Nathan Drake has a dry sense of humor and does insane feats for that sweet, sweet treasure, I remember that Cole is basically a superhero or villain depending on how he reacts to a situation but is mostly a serious fellow and I remember that Shepard can either be a complete ass or a goody two shoes.

Now if you posted someone from Gears of War, you would have an argument because some of them can barely be described by the cliche they represent.
    Actually, atleast in the first game, I'd say that Cole is about as generic and bland as one could possibly get. Don't get me wrong, Infamous (I think there's something stupid about the title or something... InFamous? What evs...) is a kickass game, but the whole "OH, HI! I KILL EVERYTHING ONLY SOMETIMES I ALSO SAVE THE CITY EH HE HE!!!" thing really doesn't work with the story. His personality is almost okay as long as you stay on the good path though. Almost.

Personally, I appreciate protagonists that don't talk much, but rather let their actions speak for them. Like Red Guy in Rush'n'Attack or the chef from Burger Time. Man, those were great characters, and quite handsome too! I'd let you throw your salt at me any day, mister.
    Last edited by Elmdor Rizer; 5th-September-2012 at 08:21.

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks

Im just pointing out something. If a character is on the front cover of a game (and nothing else is), youd think game makers would want their characters to stand out and not be one in the crowd. Maybe thats just what they think the average person wants.
    Not necessarily. Think really hard about human nature, average humans instinctually tend to reeeeeally hate change and differences. So if you look at it on the positive side, some people out in the gaming industry are using the ol' noggin.

p.s. Shepard is almost fully customizable, I liked making him a her and making her a lesbian cheerleader.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You know, I was hoping more people would post other game characters who look very similar, and not just talk about the 3 I posted.

Like in MORTAL KOMBAT! there are 5 or 10 guys in the same suit, except with different colors. I never thought the characters in that game looked too interesting, except the guy with 4 arms.

Thanks

Oh ... Sorry for not agreeing with your basic premise. Ummm, the main characters from most of the Shin Megami games all have the same facial expressions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Elmdor Rizer View Post
    Apart from the fact that the topic poster chose to post pictures - of only three characters, mind you - instead of, you know, write these there letters I think he has a solid enough point. Also, if you're going to mock someone, atleast have the common courtesy to be clever and/or funny about it. Ugh.

I actually find Drake very bland, but I'll have to admit that it's probably all just because I never got into the first Uncharted. So. Many. Generic. Enemies. To. Kill.
    You should give UC2 and UC3 a try, Elmy. After all, even Contra is full of generic enemies to kill

You know, I was hoping more people would post other game characters who look very similar, and not just talk about the 3 I posted.

Like in MORTAL KOMBAT! there are 5 or 10 guys in the same suit, except with different colors. I never thought the characters in that game looked too interesting, except the guy with 4 arms.
    You could have said it instead of saying what you did, your first post wasn't too fortunate.

Fucking ninjas, they all dressing the same. Never thought about it, why would they do it?
    How about the military? they all look quite similar too with all that camo are almost undistinguishable.
    But I have to agree with you, I always found guys with 4 arms very interesting as well

Seriously, you keep judging books by their cover.

Elmdor Rizer is offline Official Chronicler of EP
    Unofficial Chronicler of your underwear drawer
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    You should give UC2 and UC3 a try, Elmy. After all, even Contra is full of generic enemies to kill
    Lies! Dirty secrets and lies!

Michael Ballack, he scores free-kicks.
    He's got black hair, and he's german.
    Michael Ballack, trains in paddocks.
    in his spare time, HE FARMS HADDOCKS!
    Watch me play Super C, guys!!

Thanks
    EP Points

Add Starkiller (Star Wars: Forced Unleashed, Soul Calibur 4) to the list of 'white dudes who look the same'.
    Starkiller.jpg

Thanks

ah, the DooMguy, the hero in Slender, the heroes of Final Fantasy don't seem to change much between games even IF they're different people