Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generic Protagonists

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Generic Looking Protagonists

uncharted.3.01.sm.jpg
    infamous2.01.sm.jpg
    51O3zYxowFL._AA300_.jpg

Seriously, I dont want to play games with main characters who look like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by williamjones; 3rd-September-2012 at 02:21.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Could you go further into detail? Because looks aren't everything, what most remember is personality. I remember that Nathan Drake has a dry sense of humor and does insane feats for that sweet, sweet treasure, I remember that Cole is basically a superhero or villain depending on how he reacts to a situation but is mostly a serious fellow and I remember that Shepard can either be a complete ass or a goody two shoes.

Now if you posted someone from Gears of War, you would have an argument because some of them can barely be described by the cliche they represent.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you buzzed Drakes hair off hed look just like the other two.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to williamjones For This Useful Post:

RTT

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    He would still have that wonderful beard.

I actually think most JRPG heroes are generic depsite looking so different from each other because the personalities are usually interchangable and the design is overall lazy. This comes from someone who loves JRPGs.

I actually like the little touches with those three up there, like Cole's yellow and black shirt, Drake's detailed scarf and the little nicnacs on Shepard's suit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I miss when games looked like cartoons and had really animated looks.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to williamjones For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

We can still have that too, one uniform style would just be boring. You can get insanity like that in most Japanese games.

Thanks
    EP Points

And this is why the third game on the list has a char gen screen.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

What you're saying is that you don't like the aesthetic style of a game, which is completely different than not liking the way the main characters are represented. When I first read this thread, I was expecting at least some sort of a half-assed attempt at explaining why you didn't want to play as "Main Protagonist With Muscles" for the umpteenth time, but that doesn't sound like it's the case... you just want a particular art style in the games you play.

They still make those kinds of games, they just aren't for the system that you seem to be playing, seeing as two of your examples are Playstation exclusive characters. Try some different games, like New Super Mario Bros 2, or Rayman Origins, or Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, or Alice: Madness Returns, or anything in the LEGO franchise, or Sonic Generations, or pretty much anything on the Wii. If you're biggest complaint about the state of gaming is that you don't like the realistic graphics, and representing people as humans instead of cartoons because we finally have the graphical power to do it justice, then you're blight is going to fall largely on deaf ears.

For me, what makes a character interesting v. what makes them generic is the way they are represented. Yes, Drake/Cole/Shephard all look similar, but they are drastically different personalities and they respond to their environments in different ways. Drake is a one-liner spouting thrill seeker who relishes every situation he puts himself in; McGrath is an unfortunate individual who uses the powers given to him by accident to help his fellow man/further his own interests, depending on Karma (spoiler-free explanation); Shephard is a commander who is willing to buck orders for the good of his crew and to save humanity slash follow commands to the letter because he is a military man goddammit and nothing interferes with the chain of command slash only interested in the glory and making sure Prime Candidate #1 (himself) comes out on top every time (again depending on playthrough).

They are all interesting characters - really, the only similarities are the visual representations, and they aren't even the worse offenders out there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was just pointing out (in the first post) that they look similar, and not just similar, but very boring. I dont want to play as those charaters.

I said in another comment that I missed cartoon looking games, and well, they are out there, but I have to dig deeper for them now. It was a generalized statement that I was too vague on, sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 550 Posts
    EP Points

Seriously, I dont want to play games with main characters who look like this.
    I wouldn't say they are generic but realistic. There are people like that out there. Anyway, you are only missing some of the best games ever made

Gamers grow up, they aren't 10 forever, it's normal to see some of the protagonists of their games growing up as well, it gives them the chance to play different genres of games. Would be ridiculous if every kind of modern game looked cartoonish.
    I know this is something subjective, but I'm not that narrow minded to refuse to play a game just cos I don't like how the protagonist looks. Otherwise I wouldn't have played Gears of War

So everyone looks like Mark Vanderloo now
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 4th-September-2012 at 01:13. Reason: up!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,577 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

They're all white dudes with similar foreheads
    I dunno if they have the same colour eyes, and/or if their ding dongs look the same

I don't understand what the big deal is.

Thanks

i personally never realized how similar they all looked until i saw this thread

shows how much i care about their looks

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Im just pointing out something. If a character is on the front cover of a game (and nothing else is), youd think game makers would want their characters to stand out and not be one in the crowd. Maybe thats just what they think the average person wants.

Thanks
    EP Points

So you don't want to play a game because of the way the main character looks?? Wow, that's prejudice. What are you, like 13 or something? Are you sure you're even a gamer? If this is how you really act towards games it appears you'll be missing out on some great stuff.

The more I see you post on this site, the more trollish your responses tend to get. Seems as if you're just trying to build up your posting cred.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaFlave For This Useful Post:

RTT

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

So what's this thread about exactly? Good games? Cause I saw characters from good games in the OP.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsy For This Useful Post: