Thread: Notifying Individuals of a full PM Box

Thanks

Default Notifying Individuals of a full PM Box

Some people never check the e-mail that they used to register at emuparadise (like me), so sending a message there telling them that their PM box at emuparadise is full is essentially useless.

Consequently, I propose that we notify individuals of a full PM box by placing a notice at the bottom of the home page of the forums where the number of new messages since last visit are shown for the user. Furthermore, when individuals access their full PM box, there should also be a notice regarding a full PM box, not just "There are no private messages since your last visit", especially if someone tried sending you a PM and your box was full. Most of us don't even know how many messages can fit into our PM box (I guess it's about 10 or something). This would be nicely reinforced by another statement that an individual's PM box is full when he or she tries to send a PM to someone else.

The most ironic part of all is that I had recently made a post asking everybody to clear out their PM box when I had a full PM box myself (I figured that out when I sent a PM to another user and he did not reply, so I sent another one and then deleted a few messages not for any particular reason. Then that user said that he had tried to reply, but my PM box was full - that made me embarrassed due to the obvious hypocrisy of my suggestion that everyone clear out their PM box).

Moreover, I would like to ask why our PM box info is at the bottom of the home page of the forums. I think that it is much easier for the individual to notice it when it is at the top of the page.

Either way, it is extremely frustrating to try to PM someone, take the time to type out something, and realize that their PM box is full. Then I find that I have to type the whole message at another time (which I simply find a hassle especially if I had worded that PM carefully). SomeUserGuy complained that some people's PM boxes get full and never cleaned out. I have seen numerous posts around the forums asking individuals to clear out their PM boxes, and these simply aren't necessary and serve as a hindrance to the forums as a place for discussion. Shouldn't asking an individual to clear out their PM box be a private request? Frankly, I get tired of seeing such threads, and I have seen far too many. It is also unlikely that the user that the new thread is directed towards will see the message if he or she never visits the particular section of the forums in which that new thread is posted. Hence, it also becomes a hassle for the individual starting the thread to make a guess regarding which section of the forums that particular user visits most frequently in order to attain the highest probability of the intended user reading the request to clear out his/her PM box. But I understand that the only way to reach them if their PM box is full is to post a message asking them to clear out their PM box.

In addition, I realize that this is not going to completely solve the problem of full PM boxes, but I believe that it will definitely reduce the number of new threads submitted asking individuals to clear out their PM boxes. Perhaps in tandem with increasing the size limit of people's PM boxes (that is, so they can hold more messages before they are full as they seem extremely small under the current circumstances), implementing such measures might go further to solving this recurring problem. In the past few days, I have seen two new threads by Maison Gray asking individuals to clear out their PM boxes. For instance, there was one directed towards chrono8921 and Super Bagel. Not only is it a hassle for the individual intending to send the PM at the beginning, who must wait for a response from the individuals, but the individual at whom the request is directed are obligated to respond to the request publicly and apologize for their error. The new thread, which is actually simply a private request (often stuck in the Free 4 All section, can potentially be a bother for other members of the forum at whom the new thread is not directed. In combination, the two aforementioned methods appear to me as a viable solution to the problem (or at least to prevent it from arising).

While we're dealing with the subject of PMs, would it also be possible to increase the maximum number of characters that can be placed in a PM because 1000 characters is an awfully low (and annoying) limit at times. The classic example of that is Heero Yuy's private message (apology) to Gannondorf, which was turned into a new thread because of the limit on the number of PM characters.

I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read and take my suggestions into consideration.
    Last edited by Laguna; 16th-August-2002 at 13:25.

Thanks

That'd be a good idea, Maison had to start 2 topics regarding my PM box

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, you've caught me in a very good mood today, PM's set to unlimited storage and unlimited length. Happy Laguna ?? The emuparadise PM mailing service

Thanks

Well, I didn't expect such an extreme response. No limit to number of PMs in a box ... hmmm? I didn't think that would be exactly a prudent decision.

Unlimited length is nice though.

Thanks
    EP Points

We have big hard disks on our servers

Thanks

Yes, text takes up very little room memory-wise, but still, it adds up and takes up unnecessary space that could be used for something else (for what, I don't know so don't ask me).

But still ... unlimited messages in a PM box means that you have completely resolved the problem of full PM boxes.

Thanks

You can also attatch MIDI's now!! Hooray for Mystical Ninja
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    EP Points

Stats show that only 2% of our members use PM's, so the volume is very light.. it doesn't really matter at all..