Thread: Brave Fencer, Xenogears, freezing on PSX.

Thanks

Default Brave Fencer, Xenogears, freezing on PSX.

So I'm having a problem with both these games on my PSX, it's the latest version (1.13).

On brave fencer musashi the game freezes right after the opening credits.

On xenogears I can play through the game a bit, but on the first cut scene where the gears are attacking and the person falls out of the gear, fei is getting ready to get in, then it switches to an anime style scene the game sorta locks up, I say sorta, because only the image seems to be frozen, the audio is still playing.

I checked the compatibility for both of these and they both seem okay, occasional freeze fixed by fast forwarding or pressing start, but neither seem to help in this situation.

So um yeah, any help here? I don't know much on the technical end of emulators, but I'm decently computer savvy if you need anymore info.

Thanks
    EP Points

Have you tried other emulators such as epsxe?

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

No, I'd really prefer to keep it all on PSX. The emulator works great and I don't need any plug-ins or anything, everything is nice and self contained. I think I may have gotten brave fencer working, just kept restarting it and it finally let me past the opening scene, and I haven't had any problems since that with it.

Xenogears is what I really want to play though...

Maybe I'm missing some kind of setting or something...
    It played all of the opening scenes fine, I got to run through all the dialog and play through some combat, so everything in the game seems to be working fine, it just freeze up on this cut scene. I let the scene run just to see what would happen, it seems it actually freeze up after the scene is done, not just the video. I'll add that it's basically stuck on the first frame, but the audio keeps playing. Until the scene ends, and it totally freezes. Also if I fast forward the screen just goes black as soon as I let it play normal.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, here's the same problem that was apparently fixed by running the game by suing "-r" command in run.

(Create a shortcut of the emulator exe file, right click->properties->shortcut->target, type " -r" at the end of the path, save and double click the shortcut)

Does this solve your problem?

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Hmm, I tried that it just says the name specified in the target box is not valid. I can't run it that way because the error message won't let me change the properties.
    Wouldn't I need some kind of...-r file or something for that to do anything?

Thanks

Maybe I'm just doing the -r thing wrong, I made a shortcut, went into properties, and put -r at the end of the the Target: box...I can't imagine what else I was supposed to do there.

Thanks
    EP Points

put it after the quotation marks, with a space, something like this:

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Or you can go to start->run-> and type your target there with no quotations and put -r after it, like this:

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Hope this helps.

ある朝、気がついたんだ
    僕はこの世界が嫌いなんだって

Thanks

Huzzah! Thank you so much Geze, I just didn't know it needed a space before the -r.
    So...what exactly does the -r do anyway? I noticed PSX said event rescheduling enabled....

Shooting Sonic Booms and Flash Kicking Scrubs into submission
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,774 Times in 750 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

strange problem, i can run those games just fine with no other options on, maybe yours discs are scratched/ disc images corrupted?

have you checked the compatibility lists?

http://psx.silvanthalas.com/psx.html
    Last edited by Warrior; 28th-August-2012 at 01:23.
    THE BEST METHOD to run PSX games (and everything else for that matter) is via Retroarch - http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/
    If you have any questions on how to set it up on Windows please feel free to ask, its very easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Irift Heat View Post
    Huzzah! Thank you so much Geze, I just didn't know it needed a space before the -r.
    So...what exactly does the -r do anyway? I noticed PSX said event rescheduling enabled....
    This is a command switch used to enable or disable particular features in a program on startup. Each program will have its own set of options that can be set this way, generally using different letters after the dash.

Basically clicking on a shortcut with this in it,

Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links. Is the same as running it in a command line; it just tells windows to execute the program (something.exe) at its location
    (C:\Program Files), and in this case the -r gives it further instructions.
    Last edited by MaslowK; 28th-August-2012 at 01:26.
    "I think that the problem with this video is it is highly derivative of many popular bands within the genre. Although when viewed on its own merits, it does have a deeper groove. However what it has in groove, it lacks in originality. One can't help but be reminded of such bands as Pearl Jam, White Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies and other bands that bear the mantle of so called "Alternative Rock". One is even reminded of Lorie Anderson when she wore curlers. Hehehmhm! This video speaks less to the heart and more to the sphincter. In closing, I think Korn would do well to learn more from -"