Thread: how do you softmod a slim 360?

Thanks
    EP Points

Default how do you softmod a slim 360?

i might be getting a 360 for $80 and was wondering how can i soft mod it (preferably withOUT opening it)

First Interview.... sees the couch
    Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

Not possible in the slightest.

Thanks
    EP Points

so i need to open it to mod it then... ok is it doable with a mac?

Hello, i am the casting Couch. you have probably seen me in locations that you can ether not tell anyone, or places you wish you never visited if you know what i mean

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/thre...drives.460038/

http://www.dashhacks.com/xbox-360/ha...eon-drive.html

I doubt you will be up to the task, and I'm going to say that the software won't run on a Mac.

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah you would be right, i think i will stick to buying the like 8 Exclusive games that are even GOOD on the console

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    yeah you would be right, i think i will stick to buying the like 8 Exclusive games that are even GOOD on the console

Because the Wii has a better game library, amirite?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,575 Times in 1,219 Posts
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Spicer View Post
    If you're talking about the PS3 now, it might be a good idea to start a fresh thread in the appropriate section.
    Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post

Not better games, but it's easy to pirate a billion titles

But seriously, to stay on the topic at hand; it's not really worth flashing 360 drive firmware now...too much mucking around imo.

If you've got a model that doesn't require much in the way of special tools etc to extract drive firmware then you could look at a usb loader solderless kit (like x360key for example).
    Other kinds of mods may work fine, but if you get something like this then it's an investment that can used on another console if anything goes wrong with the first console you install it on.

But this is just my opinion...I don't mind shelling out some cash for something I can easily install myself and then reuse later on (if needs be).

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post

Truth. Not epic games, but free.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno. View Post

yes and no, yes in the fact that Zelda/Metroid/Mario are better than most 360 games alone, Wii is REALLY easy to mod and there are BILLIONS of other games that while not great are in fact fun

Quote Originally Posted by deadlegion View Post
    If you're talking about the PS3 now, it might be a good idea to start a fresh thread in the appropriate section.
    Just a thought

But seriously, to stay on the topic at hand; it's not really worth flashing 360 drive firmware now...too much mucking around imo.

If you've got a model that doesn't require much in the way of special tools etc to extract drive firmware then you could look at a usb loader solderless kit (like x360key for example).
    Other kinds of mods may work fine, but if you get something like this then it's an investment that can used on another console if anything goes wrong with the first console you install it on.

But this is just my opinion...I don't mind shelling out some cash for something I can easily install myself and then reuse later on (if needs be).
    i wouldnt mod my PS3 Slim any time soon, not worth it since i get the games for like $5 each usually even at release, and yeah might as well wait on the 360

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung View Post
    Truth. Not epic games, but free.
    well, Epic Mickey is Epic lol

Thanks
    EP Points

Didn't the new C4Eva firmware come out about a week ago for the latest 360 slim? I think you still have to eff with the board so it's hard to call it a softmod. I prefer the old white ones. No questions. Just hook it up to the arcade, flash, and you're ready to go. Never had one fail yet. I just run an uber fan stand under it. If this is not acceptable, delete my post but... , if you have a white one I will flash it for $10 plus shipping on you.

Edit: I actually LOL'd when I read "without opening it"
    Last edited by Mailmann006; 29th-August-2012 at 02:22.
    I'm listening but I don't hear very much...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mailmann006 View Post
    Didn't the new C4Eva firmware come out about a week ago for the latest 360 slim? I think you still have to eff with the board so it's hard to call it a softmod. I prefer the old white ones. No questions. Just hook it up to the arcade, flash, and you're ready to go. Never had one fail yet. I just run an uber fan stand under it. If this is not acceptable, delete my post but... , if you have a white one I will flash it for $10 plus shipping on you.

Edit: I actually LOL'd when I read "without opening it"
    I take it you'd never encountered the 9 series LiteOn drives in the fats then, the ones that require soldering to extract the DVD key. In fact, the 8 series v2 drive needs the same treatment. You must have only ever come across the ancient Samsungs, Hitachis and BenQs?

And if you're going to mod a 360 might as well just go RGH. No point in JTAGing any more since JTAG-able systems are ancient/unreliable. Why not just get a RGH'd Jasper or slim?

RGH = Games off USB, homebrew (emulators, etc.), arcade games, etc etc.

Flashed system = burning discs.

Thanks
    EP Points

I actually haven't encountered any drives in the Phat systems that I couldn't handle. I was unaware. Only drives I thought the phat had were hitachis, Lite-ons, Samsungs, and ben-Q's. I have a lite-on 9 series in mine. All you need for the lite-on is a probe. Executer probe V. 2 in fact. About $10 bucks. No need to solder anymore. You just touch the probe to the solder point and it extracts the key. Quick and easy.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think you're getting mixed up with the 7 series of drives.

The 8v2/9 series require something called the "MRA" hack which involves cutting of traces and whatnot on the board to extract the DVD key.

Thanks
    EP Points

I could be mistaken. The version 1 probe needed the mra hack. The second version probe was capable of getting the key without any need to solder. It was the PMT (Pogo Mo Thoin?) probe. The first probe even came with a special piece to do the MRA hack. I am pretty sure of this, but again maybe not.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by mailmann006 View Post
    I could be mistaken. The version 1 probe needed the mra hack. The second version probe was capable of getting the key without any need to solder. It was the PMT (Pogo Mo Thoin?) probe. The first probe even came with a special piece to do the MRA hack. I am pretty sure of this, but again maybe not.
    Interesting. I haven't given any thought or done any research into 360 modification since 2010. It's starting to show, shit's changed in the last (almost) 3 years.

Oh well, I'll be out of here now.