Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Another Video Game Crash Possible?

Thanks

i'm pretty sure if everything moves to the DRM thing, then I bet new measures will be taken to ensure playability on games. the whole point of DRM is to lower prices and stop the resellers like gamestop. with that said digital distribution of games will probably be handled more efficiently. the only thing you have to worry about is when a company goes under and someone else takes the rights to those games, but even then the low cost of keeping a game for sale digitally as opposed to manufacturing, shouldn't pose a problem. besides, i really doubt we're going DRM with the two next gen consoles.... it will be jackass companies like EA and Activision first (doing it all wrong I might add) then other people following suit and doing it right. it will be a slow transition mainly because the internet is still slow for many people and not everyone has access. however, if these juggernaut companies would actually look at Steam and take some notes things would get better faster.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williamjones View Post
    Can someone say if this is too over the top in thinking?

I think if DRM is used for all games on PS4 or the 720, then years from now a ton of cult classics are gonna be lost forever. Suikoden isnt on the PSN. Say a game doesnt sell well, so the online activation for it will limit to the people who bought it, and then it isnt made for another online store later like PSN. This could make a for a lost generation of games. At least you can emulate old games that cost $200 like Suikoden or Earthbound. If the code is so intricate AND the game had bugs you need a patch for which also has a stronger anti piracy code installed, then who knows if people will be able to play it later on? Who knows?
    and this is why we have such a large emulation scene
    seriously, stuff like this is what drives people to piracy. Nintendo and SEGA won't let DRM ruin the games, and they'll CRUSH 40 on Microsoft and Sony if the PS4 and 720 are DRM filled. gamers will boycott the hardware, buy the non-DRM filled ones, or just start emulating and indie gaming and only the truly stupid will buy them without heavy mods afterwards.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    and this is why we have such a large emulation scene
    seriously, stuff like this is what drives people to piracy. Nintendo and SEGA won't let DRM ruin the games, and they'll CRUSH 40 on Microsoft and Sony if the PS4 and 720 are DRM filled. gamers will boycott the hardware, buy the non-DRM filled ones, or just start emulating and indie gaming and only the truly stupid will buy them without heavy mods afterwards.
    Sega is in really bad shape right now (unfortunately), I wouldn't expect too much from them.

Thanks

i'd argue that it's kinda their own fault at this point. far too many of the games that they have made in the last decade have been terribad.
    Last edited by Trimaj; 14th-September-2012 at 15:13. Reason: because the way i phrased that was awkward mcgee
    Insanity: that which makes things not boring.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trimaj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The halcyon days of intriguing Dreamcast exclusives with innovative gameplay are long gone indeed fine sir.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Sega is in really bad shape right now (unfortunately), I wouldn't expect too much from them.
    don't underestimate them, a partnership with Nintendo can bring them out of the deep end.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    The halcyon days of intriguing Dreamcast exclusives with innovative gameplay are long gone indeed fine sir.
    have to say i love that emoticon.

i suppose it's possible for those days to come back... but it seems to be highly unlikely.

maybe gunslinger, but... honestly? i'd be really surprised if that happened.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trimaj View Post
    have to say i love that emoticon.

i suppose it's possible for those days to come back... but it seems to be highly unlikely.

maybe gunslinger, but... honestly? i'd be really surprised if that happened.
    think about it, Colors is Nintendo exclusive, SEGA is letting Nintendo publish their games, and the two companies are getting closer and closer by the year. all they need to do is stop making and supporting games for Sony and Microsoft and sell their stock to Nintedo.

Thanks

yea, and that's how many good games they've made compared to the bad ones? don't get me wrong, i always liked sonic more than mario. always. i own... 160ish of the archie comics in paper form. but they're current track record is just bad. and i don't think going platform exclusive would really fix it. just my opinion on the matter, but you know, what can i say? that i actually have an optimistic opinion that anyone in the gaming industry is really going to "get it"? i don't think even nintendo does.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Trimaj View Post
    yea, and that's how many good games they've made compared to the bad ones? don't get me wrong, i always liked sonic more than mario. always. i own... 160ish of the archie comics in paper form. but they're current track record is just bad. and i don't think going platform exclusive would really fix it. just my opinion on the matter, but you know, what can i say? that i actually have an optimistic opinion that anyone in the gaming industry is really going to "get it"? i don't think even nintendo does.
    Right on man.... what was the last game that Sega actually made that was good? They've published a few good games, i.e. Bayonetta, Vanquish, but what have they actually developed that was good in the last decade?? Only thing I can think of without doing some serious digging is Valkyria Chronicles, a series which they pretty much killed themselves. Let them partner with Nintendo, I don't care. Just means more shovelware and kiddie games for the Nintendo faithful. Dreamcast is over, it's never coming back. Sega was in it's prime but that is long since dead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFave View Post
    Right on man.... what was the last game that Sega actually made that was good? They've published a few good games, i.e. Bayonetta, Vanquish, but what have they actually developed that was good in the last decade?? Only thing I can think of without doing some serious digging is Valkyria Chronicles, a series which they pretty much killed themselves. Let them partner with Nintendo, I don't care. Just means more shovelware and kiddie games for the Nintendo faithful. Dreamcast is over, it's never coming back. Sega was in it's prime but that is long since dead.
    Sonic Colors.
    need i say more?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger Boy View Post
    Sonic Colors.
    need i say more?
    Yes, a lot more.... that game was nothing special, it just happened to be an above average Sonic Game. Hell, it's probably great compared to all the other Sonic junk they released in the last 10 years.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FlavaFlave For This Useful Post:

Thanks

two good games in a decade is not really a very good track record GSB.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaFave View Post
    Because Sega is dumb. Seriously. Game sells well? Okay guys lets move it to a console that's been dead everywhere except Japan for years! Tbf the PSP has been a raging success in Japan, but if they wanted any kind of overseas money it was a really bad decision.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

you know, what kind of logic is that anyway? sure isn't creative.