Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Another Video Game Crash Possible?

Thanks

yes. if Microsoft and Sony keep it up

Thanks
    EP Points

Given the way games are being bought and sold right now I would have to go with a no. But if the market takes a turn for the worse on overspending and overbudgeting (like what was recently seen with Nintendo and their record losses [MS and Sony as well]) then it becomes a high possibility as far as those three are concerned. I don't see Nintendo making too big of a jump on their hardware platforms as far as cost go. Sony I feel tries to rely to heavily on hardware marketing gimmicks without applying enough software to make most of their platforms a worthwhile purchase for the consumer. And now we get to Microsoft. Microsoft is slightly careful on some of the things they do. Their software choices are generally favorable but their hardware failure rates from the previous years have turned off quite a bit of the consumer base that built them up. Add that to software marketing schemes and they start to lose out based on this.

But overall I'd have to say the biggest issue that would result in a gaming crash again would probably be the inclusion of guerilla style drm coming in the later systems (at least MS and Sony's as far as we know). Without some kind of remote used market their is no driving factor for people to get the game as soon as it releases. What these two companies should understand is that without this second hand market their sales would be relatively lower than what they are (I know I work for one of those second hand markets ).
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

- James Oliver Rigney Jr. aka Robert Jordan (God rest his Soul.) 10-17-1948 to 09-16-2007

Thanks
    EP Points

I think that many games have become too much like feature-length films for them to be swept aside like they were decades ago. They are such a ubiquitous entertainment medium today--it would be like asking if collecting music or movies will go out of style.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think that many games have become too much like feature-length films for them to be swept aside like they were decades ago. They are such a ubiquitous entertainment medium today--it would be like asking if collecting music or movies will go out of style.
    That is a very good way of putting it, I am inclined to agree.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Remember though that Full motion movie games did go out of style. If youre saying games have better stories than they used to, ok, but a lot of games to me are trying to be too real life looking. Its just me, but I dont like the generic as hell looking Infamous guy. Drake looks like a normal guy too and Im not into the Indiana Jones kinda thing. Having a mascot kinda creature is tough, but I dont want to play as a normal person in an action platformer game. A bunch of creativity is lost when you have games in the real world with real people and thats something that I dont like.

Thanks

the fact that game prices are still going up though, it almost seems like there would be a boycott on the video game industry

Rewardsgaming.net

Thanks

Yes. and it will happen cuz of Skyrim. Jk. But it is bound to happen, until they invent Netnavis like from Battle Network.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cresset View Post
    It's a matter of time until we have a game where you have to buy the DLC to finish it at all.
    1 already exists, its called final fantasy 4 the later years or after years... i dunno which as i haven't gone on the wii marketplace in months, don't even know how the selection is anymore :/ i got the first part of that game long ago thinking it'd be nice to try but later found out that like 90% of it is DLC added onto the quite small "game" (demo length or slightly longer imo) you first purchase, as if i'd waste money on a game like that

off topic but come to think of it, is sonic the hedgehog 4 fully released yet or is it still just the first episode(s)?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by lordrand11 View Post
    But overall I'd have to say the biggest issue that would result in a gaming crash again would probably be the inclusion of guerilla style drm coming in the later systems (at least MS and Sony's as far as we know). Without some kind of remote used market their is no driving factor for people to get the game as soon as it releases. What these two companies should understand is that without this second hand market their sales would be relatively lower than what they are (I know I work for one of those second hand markets ).
    I know plenty of people that only game used (and haven't spent one shiny dime on video games for the last few years yay trading and exploiting great deals, of course this is only possible if you don't mind getting rid of most of your games when you are done with them) that would simply quit gaming if the used market was killed off.

Quote Originally Posted by rok124 View Post
    the fact that game prices are still going up though, it almost seems like there would be a boycott on the video game industry
    Game prices aren't that bad right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by treos View Post
    1 already exists, its called final fantasy 4 the later years or after years...
    LOL that's why you get the psp version which has the whole game AND the classic FF4

but the wii's virtual console/wii ware section is not that great...and i own a wii.(mostly for zelda.)

Thanks

i think the obvious answer on this one is the indie gaming scene would take over, and the big names would have to go back to that and actually make GOOD games to really have any chance at coming back. so i personally wouldn't be that concerned about it. especially with the kickstarter stuff going on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trimaj View Post
    i think the obvious answer on this one is the indie gaming scene would take over, and the big names would have to go back to that and actually make GOOD games to really have any chance at coming back. so i personally wouldn't be that concerned about it. especially with the kickstarter stuff going on.
    true dat

Thanks
    EP Points

if game companies like ea sell a new game at 60 dollars and then put another 50 dollars worth of dlc down our throats than i do see it inevitiable. then again its only mainstream games that really do dlc so if anything, i think jrpg type games will keep the game industry afloat even if the mainstream part crashes. well as long as they keep making jrpg's worth our time and money.

Thanks

the uPad (Wii U standard controller) costs 127 USD. the Pro one is 60 bucks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Can someone say if this is too over the top in thinking?

I think if DRM is used for all games on PS4 or the 720, then years from now a ton of cult classics are gonna be lost forever. Suikoden isnt on the PSN. Say a game doesnt sell well, so the online activation for it will limit to the people who bought it, and then it isnt made for another online store later like PSN. This could make a for a lost generation of games. At least you can emulate old games that cost $200 like Suikoden or Earthbound. If the code is so intricate AND the game had bugs you need a patch for which also has a stronger anti piracy code installed, then who knows if people will be able to play it later on? Who knows?